Senior Health Community
My Dad's Rash
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My Dad's Rash

Hi everyone.  I am really hoping someone could give me some advice about a red itchy rash my Dad has suffered from for over a year.  It is dark red and seems to move about his body.  Some days his face is very red and itchy, other days the rash is on his back. It is always present.  Dad is eighty and has low level prostate cancer and joint pain. He has been prescribed Amlodipine Maleate 10mg, Penicillin VK 250 mg, and Loratadine 10mg as an antihistamine to try to calm the rash down.  He does not drink or smoke and has a healthy diet and an active lifestyle. However, the rash is making him miserable and I would really appreciate some help.
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
875426_tn?1325532016
I imagine he has consulted a dermatologist about this?  

There are a number of possibilities and of course, I'm not a doctor.  

But have all the medications he's taking been ruled out as having a possible side effect of rash?  

Has he had general allergy testing from an allergist?  I have a parent who is allergic to the bacteria in sweat and the back and face are two common places for sweat.

Has he tried switching soaps to a hypoallergenic variety?  What about the detergent used to wash his towels and sheets- is that a hypoallergenic variety?

Has he tried taking a tepid bath with a cup of vinegar in it or tried straight white vinegar to the itchy rash (avoiding getting too close to the eyes)?  
Blank
Thank you for your reply.  He has seen a dermatologist and had numerous tests but the cause remains unknown.  Doctors have ruled out medication as a possible cause and we have changed his bedding, washing powder, etc.  We will try the white vinegar tip and see if that has any effect.  
Blank
875426_tn?1325532016
Let me know if the vinegar helps?  I know it helped me with topical treatment of mosquito bites this summer!  I also used it in a tub for a different kind of skin problem at a dermatologist's instruction.

Does your father notice it is worse at any time (such as when he's been hot & sweating or after he has eaten or drank something particular)?

Conjecturing here- I'm wondering if it is hives that have to do with the added stress of the cancer in his body?  Does he notice they get worse at night?
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
I am not so sure I would be so quick to rule out medications. Such a rash ocasionally results from Amlodopine Maleate.
Blank
Thank you.  He is going back to speak to his doctor regarding his medication so hopefully we can seek out an alternative for him.  Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Senior Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...