Aa
A
A
Close
608104 tn?1352590753
Nightly abdominal cramps
November 2012

How do I stop nightly abdominal cramps that wake me at 4 a.m?
Anti-spasmodics and hydrocodone are too sedative.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
144586 tn?1284669764
Hydrocodone, as well as all opiates, cause abdominal cramps by the inhibition of peristalsis. Try keeping well hydrated, and taking a daily dose of flavored cod-liver oil for lubrication. The flavored brands are quite palatable.  A tablespoon divided in two doses.  A very small amount of metamucil will also help, but not too much. You might try one of the anti-gas over-the counter drugs such as been-o or gas-X.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
608104 tn?1352590753
Thanks for the suggestion of small doses of cod-liver oil.  Nocturnal peristalsis, cramps, sweats with or without pain meds results in sleep deprivation.  Back to sucralfate with gas-x capsules for another trial.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
608104 tn?1352590753
Good news to share.  A ventral hernia (above the belly button) was repaired late September.  After post-surgical recovery which did include treatment for post-op infection, I discovered that most of the abdominal night pain disappeared.  

Respiratory infections caused a never-ending chronic cough which was partly-decreased with daily use of over-the counter famotidine (generic Pepcid) 20 mg am and pm.  I have less desire to drink coffee and liquor.  A chronic sinus infection is currently being treated with 20 days Augmentin oral and antibiotic nose spray: muprocin.  Now I sleep all night
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Senior Health Community Resources