Pnuemonia Shot after having Pneumonia
Last pneumonia shot was in Oct 2006. I had pneumonia in Oct 2011. Should I get another shot? I am74 yrs old
The diagnosis of "pneumonia" in October 2012 does not specify the etiology of the pneumonia. You can develop pneumonia as a result of infection from dozens of different organisms. There are "pro's" and "cons" as to the adviseability of vaccination, but on balance, at your age, it would probably be a good idea to have the vaccine.
Thanks for your input. On June 13, 2012: Bronchoscopy was performed at Hospital. Dr vacuumed out a lot of phlegm from the right lung and took a biopsy for study. Biopsy was negative for bacteria, and negative for lung cancer. Follow-up office visit on Sept. 12th showed all clear. Left lung was never a problem. Any further comment?
It is recommended to get a pneumonia shot every five years in certain instances (see private message).  No vaccine is guaranteed to always be effective and it is not designed to build your immunity against all kinds of pneumonia.  I'd recommend asking your primary care doctor if another vaccine is right for you.
Thanks. I am switching Doctors but will ask the new one when I see him in January.
Sounds like an excellent plan.