Purple/Swollen foot while on Coumadin?
My Grandma is 75 y/o and has been diagnosed with Stage IV Uterine Cancer. She is currently on Coumadin and even though she knows she shouldn't be engaging in any activities that may cause her to cut herself, she was clipping her toenails two days ago and cut the cuticle of the big toe noail on her right toe. She had slight bleeding which we just put some gauze over her toe and wrapped it up. She has since taken off the gauze. Today, looking at her foot you can see the whole right foot is swollen and purple. It gets back to normal color when she massages it but quickly changes back. She has no pain in the foot. She has a history of blood clots but currently has a filter in place to prevent them. She HAS gotten blood clots before while on Coumadin so it is something we are very concerned about. She only gets out of bed to go to the bathroom, and right now I have her foot elevated and the toe was cleaned and now it is again wrapped in gauze. Is there anything else I should be doing, can this be a serious problem that I should be worried about? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Yes. She needs immediate evaluation by a physician. Not tomorrow. Today.

A visit to an emergency room is appropriate.

A purple foot means there is insufficient circulation. This is not always a problem that can be solved.