Senior Health Community
RED SCROTUM SYNDROME

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

RED SCROTUM SYNDROME

Is there a medically proven cure for Red Scrotum Syndrome?
Hello Seniorman,

Welcome. Boy you had me stumped. I had never heard of this condition, maybe because I am a female and have never worked in Men's Health. Therefore I did hours of reading and research and came up with some interesting theories. As you apparently know this condition is notoriously difficult to treat.

There are some theories that this has a physiological component.  One of the treatments when nothing else seems to be effective is called "Skin Deep."  They claim  the right combination of relaxation, meditation, imaging, hypnosis and self-hypnosis, and skin-focused psychotherapy can help treat Red Scrotum Syndrome. I have no idea is this is correct or a bunch of bologna. It wouldn't be my first choice.

For our readers that are like me and had not heard of this before here is what I found. "The Red Scrotum Syndrome is characterized by persistent redness of the anterior half of the scrotum that may involve the base of the penis. It is usually accompanied by a persistent itching or burning sensation and hyperalgesia. It is a chronic condition......."

It appears to be a dermatology problem. Here's another exert from an medical article claiming that an antibiotic called Doxycycline was the treatment of choice. BEGIN QUOTE: " All patients reported significant improvement (between 50%and 80%) of their symptoms within 2 weeks of starting doxycycline and had marked improvement of the erythema and complete resolution of symptoms in a period ranging from 2 to 3 months."

Another medical article claimed that most Red Rash Syndromes (including Red Scrotum Syndrome) were due to a reaction to steroidal creams/ointments. They call it addiction to the steroid cream. Here's a link to that long article:
http://kellypalace61.web.officelive.com/Documents/CorticosteriodAddictionArticle.pdf

Still others believe it is an allergic type or reaction or response to airborne or contact allergens. I've also read that it may be an STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) or a fungus.

Confused???? I was too. However after spending hours reading it became very apparent to me that Red Scrotum Syndrome is not just ONE condition but  several conditions. It's more of a symptom then an actual Diagnosis. I did read that also... so that appears to be the real issue here. They really don't know what it is or what causes it  and it is often different in each patient.  What works for one patient doesn't necessarily work for another.

We have several other Forums that might be helpful to you.It appears no one has concrete answers but these may have some helpful suggestions.  Here's the first link, Dermatology:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dermatology/show/65

The second one that might be helpful, Men's Health, Here's that link:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Mens-Health/show/93

I suggest that you find yourself a great, not a good but a great Dermatologist and start at the beginning. A Dermatologist that is associated with a large teaching facility or a nationally known clinic may be the best. Try all the usual treatments first and them move on to the less popular ones. I would even try Acupuncture and Holistic Medicine. Whatever you do,  don't give up.

In my opinion the most important issue is at the very least  treating the pain and discomfort that comes with this Syndrome..... until you can find an effective treatment. That would be my first goal. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing, I will be very interested to hear how you are doing. I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take Care and Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck