Senior Health Community
RED SCROTUM SYNDROME

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

RED SCROTUM SYNDROME

Is there a medically proven cure for Red Scrotum Syndrome?
Hello Seniorman,

Welcome. Boy you had me stumped. I had never heard of this condition, maybe because I am a female and have never worked in Men's Health. Therefore I did hours of reading and research and came up with some interesting theories. As you apparently know this condition is notoriously difficult to treat.

There are some theories that this has a physiological component.  One of the treatments when nothing else seems to be effective is called "Skin Deep."  They claim  the right combination of relaxation, meditation, imaging, hypnosis and self-hypnosis, and skin-focused psychotherapy can help treat Red Scrotum Syndrome. I have no idea is this is correct or a bunch of bologna. It wouldn't be my first choice.

For our readers that are like me and had not heard of this before here is what I found. "The Red Scrotum Syndrome is characterized by persistent redness of the anterior half of the scrotum that may involve the base of the penis. It is usually accompanied by a persistent itching or burning sensation and hyperalgesia. It is a chronic condition......."

It appears to be a dermatology problem. Here's another exert from an medical article claiming that an antibiotic called Doxycycline was the treatment of choice. BEGIN QUOTE: " All patients reported significant improvement (between 50%and 80%) of their symptoms within 2 weeks of starting doxycycline and had marked improvement of the erythema and complete resolution of symptoms in a period ranging from 2 to 3 months."

Another medical article claimed that most Red Rash Syndromes (including Red Scrotum Syndrome) were due to a reaction to steroidal creams/ointments. They call it addiction to the steroid cream. Here's a link to that long article:
http://kellypalace61.web.officelive.com/Documents/CorticosteriodAddictionArticle.pdf

Still others believe it is an allergic type or reaction or response to airborne or contact allergens. I've also read that it may be an STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) or a fungus.

Confused???? I was too. However after spending hours reading it became very apparent to me that Red Scrotum Syndrome is not just ONE condition but  several conditions. It's more of a symptom then an actual Diagnosis. I did read that also... so that appears to be the real issue here. They really don't know what it is or what causes it  and it is often different in each patient.  What works for one patient doesn't necessarily work for another.

We have several other Forums that might be helpful to you.It appears no one has concrete answers but these may have some helpful suggestions.  Here's the first link, Dermatology:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dermatology/show/65

The second one that might be helpful, Men's Health, Here's that link:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Mens-Health/show/93

I suggest that you find yourself a great, not a good but a great Dermatologist and start at the beginning. A Dermatologist that is associated with a large teaching facility or a nationally known clinic may be the best. Try all the usual treatments first and them move on to the less popular ones. I would even try Acupuncture and Holistic Medicine. Whatever you do,  don't give up.

In my opinion the most important issue is at the very least  treating the pain and discomfort that comes with this Syndrome..... until you can find an effective treatment. That would be my first goal. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing, I will be very interested to hear how you are doing. I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take Care and Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck
This is still going on and we are still suffering. Jan / 2016

I received unprotected oral sex from a woman I didn't know very well, soon after developed HSV1 and red scrotum at exact same time. Red scrotum has persisted for 2 years. I already had hpv from previous relationship. This is 100% related to either of those conditions. Please for the love of God someone figure out a cure to this. This is afflicting so meny men it's near irresponsible to not have a tangible and clinical course of treatment to eliminate the condition. Grace or anyone on this site please HELP. HAS ANYONE BEAT THIS WITH ANTI-BACTERIALS? ANTI-FUNGALS? OR TREATING CANDIDA? HAS ANYTHING WORKED? We are desperate. I am now in a relationship and she has developed itching down there bc of me. This is unbearable...

Hello and Welcome!

I'm very sorry to hear about your plight. The originator of this very old thread is no longer active. I encourage you to begin a new thread to obtain better visibility and responses.

If you read my reply to Seniorman you'll know that Red Scrotum Syndrome (RSS) is not a disease - it is a symptom - that can be caused from multiple conditions.

You may find others with this condition on a few other MedHelp forums. I'm going to suggest that you begin a new thread in one or both of the following forums:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dermatology

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Mens-Health

Research tells me, " treatment options only manage the symptoms and, typically, don’t fully cure the syndrome." Additionally, " treatment options for red scrotum syndrome involve the use of hypoallergenic soaps and lotions, anti-fungal creams and proper hygiene. Tannic acid soaks for 3 to 4 days appear to relieve the symptoms associated with the syndrome as well. The use of oral Doxycycline appears to be one of the most effective courses of treatment for this syndrome."

50 - 80% found improvement with the ATB (antibiotic), Doxycycline. It was reported that many of these patients that were treated with Doxycycline
claimed to have a complete resolution following 2-3 months of treatment.

A medication called Gabapentin (non-narcotic) is often used to help with the pain of RSS.

Basically, "Little remains known about the syndrome, including factors that may increase a person’s risk for the dermatological condition." I'm sorry to tell you that this is considered a Chronic Condition - meaning there is no sure and it may plague patients for years.

The Journal of Dermatological Case Reports published a paper about how to treat RSS. You might want to do an internet search for it. It basically says what I have told you here - but there is more information.

Again I'm so sorry that you have RSS. I hope you can find relief from the SX (symptoms). Find yourself a good dermatologist and refer them to the
Journal of Dermatological Case Reports - if they are not familiar with it.

Good Luck to you and please let us know how you are doing.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Avatar n tn
Go to Pub Med.gov and read the articles that reported sucess with doxycycline alone and doxycycline with amtriptyline.  2 small studies, however 100% had some relief within 4 weeks and I believe all continued long term treatment of (I believe) about 4 months.  The studies gave hope for total recovery over time if I understood the abstracts correctly.

I am trying to get a prescription a.s.a p. as "I feel your pain" ...literally!
Good luck and may God bless you.
Richard