Senior Health Community
Recovering after sepsis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

Recovering after sepsis

My husband got out of the hospital after being admitted for 3 weeks for being severely dehydrated and septic.He was in ICU for 14 days. This is a reocurrence of a septice event that happened  a year ago and he was critically ill.
The first time around the doctors were not saying sepsis was the issue. He had a temperature of 107 when I finally called an ambulance. And since we live on a small island he was helicoptered to a city hospital. Was in ICU for 10 days and in the hospital for 17 days.
This time they found bacteria and fungus in his blood and he was beginning to have organ failure. They tell us he's lucky to be alive. For 3 weeks he was on IV antibiotics.
My question is this.........the first time this happened his recovery time was relatively short. Maybe a couple of weeks. This time he's still running a low fever, sometimes over 101 and I have to check his BP to make sure it doesn't drop. He has very little energy, wants to sleep a lot and doesn't have much of an appetite. We eat well. I prepare good fresh food and he's taking  antioxidants such as Lipoec Acid and B-12 and B complex.
His stomach bothers him and I think he's getting depressed. We have an appointment for a colonoscopy and surgery consultation for his intestines. They are not sure if the sepsis originated in the intestines or possibly from the liver, because last time he had an absess (abscess) on it that they drained.
Is what he is going thru a normal reaction for his recovery? He's a 64 year old man, but very active and energetic.
As a caregiver(his wife), it's hard to know and I need help.
Thank you.
Hello and Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. You and your husband have been through so much this past year. My heart goes out to you!

Please excuse my tardy response. I have had multiple Internet and Laptop problems. I am hoping they are resolved.

It's been two weeks since you posted I am wondering how your husband is doing. Please let me know as I will watch for your updates.

Sixty four is far from old! Your husband should have many years ahead of him and needs to get to the bottom of the reoccurring sepsis. He should not have been experiencing a 101 temp after discharge. This would indicate to me that he still has an active infection. However I am far from and expert.

I will wait for your update until I hear more from you. Again I am so sorry that I have been off the site. I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck