Senior Health Community
Senile Dementia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

Senile Dementia

My Father, 86 is generally in good health. He has had a problem with his prostrate and heart, and but keeps good health, and walks about 2-3 miles everyday. Lately he is complaining of seeing eerie dreams, has visions and thoughts on death, and sees deformed faces once he closes his eyes. Physician says could be age related dementia, and ordered a few blood tests. He was on Alprazolam (Trika) for about 20-25 years (.5 mg eveyday) and has recently discountinued that on docs advise.
Would trika cause this? I dont think it is advisable at his age to go for something serious intervention, but maybe some diet, and a vitamin could help him? Any thoughts? Thanks!
The first thing to have done is an hba1c test. Abnormal blood sugar is often a cause of such halucinations. The "monsters" are sometimes called sugar people.
Have the visions left him now that he's been off the mediciation for a while?  A website I visited said it's rare, but that Xanax can cause  mood and mental changes such as hallucinations and thoughts of suicide.

Besides blood tests and making sure he isn't taking anything or eating anything that might give dreams (for example, I can't take flax seed oil late in the afternoon or it gives me dreams and I think taking melatonin gave me dreams too), you might make sure he is getting enough activity where deep, dreamless sleep is most likely and not over sleeping, when dream can tend to occur.  And since he is having thoughts of death, is he a Christian ready to meet the Lord if he should die before he wakes?