Side affect of flu shot???
A 64 year old family member had the flu vaccination on Oct 29th.  There was a day or two of soreness of the arm, now they are having pain in the upper arm muscle and shoulder joint.  Could this be related to the flu shot?  What could be the cause?  It is hard for them to lay on that side and becomes quite intesnse.
I couldn't hardly move mine either and then the 3rd morning I woke up and I can't lift my wrist.  It just drops down and my fingers wont move much.  It is still very sore at the injection site and feels like there is a bump in there. M R I was normal.  I have been going to physical therapy for a month now.  Next Thurs doctor is doing a nerve test on the arm.  I will never get a shot at a pharmacy again!!!  Does anyone know if this sounds like she hit the nerve?  Hope your arm feels better.  Ice seems to help the arm pain but the wrist and fingers are hopeless...
same thing here...only I have NEVER had a flu shot before, was entirely skeptical and terribly reluctant to get it in the first place, fearing side effects of some kind. I am 51 and was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetis, which is under reasonable control. My doctor suggested i get the flu shot because in her opinion diabetics suffer more problems should they get the flu. It's likely that I have had my diabetis undiagnosed for several years, and have had a couple of flu bouts since then, but none that I would have considered in some way extreme. I reluctantly agreed to the shot, having asked what side effects i might expect. "some people experience soreness in the arm, but usually nothing serious" she assured me. Well, I can take some soreness in the arm, having dealt with extreme pain 10 years back, prior to my gallbladder removal, but I wasn't prepared for this. My shoulder aches, bones pop, neck is sore and stiff like a whiplash injury on the side of the injection, I won't go on, because so many in this forum have already expressed the same symptoms. I am in constant agony, and have been so for over 3 weeks now. at times my right arm is almost useless depending how i position myself. I don't know what to do, but it affects my ability to work at my profession, and is threatening to affect my income. I simply canot afford to have this happen. I think my first trip is going to be to a lawyer, but I don't want to have to go it alone. In reading all the post here, I feel that there has to be someone, somewhere in the legal profession that can act on our behalf and do SOMETHING!, even a class action settlement to all affected parties might be some small compensation to offset the attitude that " the benefits outweigh the risks" kind of BS.
This is physically debilitating..and for what? Statistically I believe it can be shown that there are few fatalities from the flu compared to the number of people who become chronically debilitated from this vaccine, and need PT and who knows what kind of treatment.
If this was thalidamide, someone would have done something by now.
all you posters in this group please think about this, we need to act on behalf of everyone and anyone who is suffering with this.
Iplan on checking on a lawyer this week after the test they are doing Thursday.  I want to see what that shows first.  I am positive the shot caused this but I don't understand why... Did she give it wrong or is it a reaction to the shot?  All I know is I am right handed and I can't use my hand. I have to wear a brace to keep my wrist from just dropping down.
I recieved the flu shot October 27th at a health fair.  She hit me about an inch from my shoulder bone and pain shot down my arm into my fingers.
I let her know it hurt and she commented it was hard to get the needle in and said my muscle was hard, did I work out?  No I don't.  As others have posted, my pain keeps me from pulling upwards or raising my arm up.  A lot of the pain is in area between elbow & shoulder.
I was going to call for a dr. appointment but it sounds like that is a waste of time & money  
I had my flu shot in September.
I am still having pain in my left shoulder and arm after using a medrol dose pack.
The only time it felt good was when I was taking the highest dose of the medicine.
Doctor seems to think it is a result of the shot.
He thinks I had a deep hematoma  that left scar tissue.
I may need to see a specialist for the break up of the scar tissue.
Not a fun procedure I am told.
Good luck with yours.
Anyone who tells you high up near the shoulder shots are normal, shouldn't be administering vaccines and should be reported.  This can result in shoulder damage, sometimes for months or even years.. Google SIRVA vaccine study
Just an update FWIW from my experience back in 2008. It took about 3+ months for the pain to go away after my flu-shot. I mentioned it to my PCP and he didn't have a clue what the issue could be. I do think that because I am at a keyboard all day, that one possibility is that since my muscles are already (potentially) inflamed the shot magnifies this issue. The only other things I can throw out there is that I talked to my sister-in-law who is an NP and she thinks either the nurse jabbed me wrong or perhaps I had an allergic reaction. I wish I had more concrete information but hopefully this might help folks....
I  saw my doctor last week and the person who gave me the flu shot injured the nerve in my arm.  I will get full use of my arm back with time and lots of therapy.  Thank goodness she didn't sever the nerve cuz then it would have been permanent!!!  
Thank goodness I stumbled across this website.  I had my annual flu shot Oct. 31st and the nurse said to relax my arm so that I wouldn't feel the soreness after the shot - hah!  It was so painful when she administered the shot and since that time the pain in my shoulder and upper arm, down to my elbow has been terrible.  A deep, dull, intense ache.  The kind that brings you to tears.  I am miserable.  It has been a week and the thought of it being longer is very discouraging.  I called the doctors office yesterday and the nurse who administered the shot told me that many people have been calling.  I think she's placing the shot too high up on the arm.  I have been getting flu shots for about 20 years, but this was the first time at this doctor's office.  I  have never had this reaction.  I will definitely think twice about getting one  next year.  Ibuprofin, cold packs, hot water bottle, nothing helps but I notice when I am in bed a night the pain subsides but as soon  as I get up it starts up again.
Got flu shot at work (it is required) 10/28/11.  Within 2 days, I started feeling sore.  Within 4 days, every joint in my body hurt.  My toes, ankles, knees, wrists, fingers, shoulders (even the one I didn't get the shot in) elbows.  It is so bad I can hardly walk.  Our NP saw me, and said it was not related to the flu shot.  She thinks I have an autoimmune disease.  Funny-I have never had this pain all over before.  
Last year, I skipped the flu shot.  No shoulder pain.  The two years before,I did have the flu shot each of those years-I had shoulder pain for 6 months-It was late spring before I got over it.  My NP last year said maybe it was the preservative in it.  So this year she wrote an order for me to have preservative free--according to RN that gave shot (in an assembly line) they are all preservative free this year.  I will have to go to my NP probably next week-if she agrees, then I will NEVER take the flu shot again.  If not, I will have to do it to keep my job.  I would rather have the flu than go through this.  
I don't think anything relieves the pain much-I've taken Advil.  Today, I took aspirin and could turn my head.  Heat/ice don't help either.  Worst pain is getting up in a.m. and when I wake at night.  Good luck to everyone.  
I have mild Lupus, I just received a flu shot and I am in horrible pain, muscles, joints and glands. Fatigue too.It is depressing. Never had this problem before. These descriptions here are spot on to my experience. Uhg.

Same pain as everyone else. Flu shot in Nov.2010. Pain has gotten worse, and severe at night.
Had xrays and ultrasound done, have not got results as of yet.
I am 43 and hate to think this could last forever!
Hi I am 54 and have history of neck and arm pain. I have a three way fusion in my neck. I had a flu shot in the middle of oct.  A week or so later I got really bad pain in my left bicep muscle and forearm. Hand feels tight. The pain is so intense could not work. Have been off for nine days so far. Doctor gave me muscle relaxers and pain meds. Does not help much. The only thing that helps is to  lay down on my back. Soon as I get up pain is back. I though pain was from neck,not so sure now. Was dealing with pain OK until flu shot. Wish I had an answer.
I am in UK and this is the first time I have had the flu injection. I am 64 years old.  I also had the pneumonia injection at the same time but in a different arm and I had 3 days of intense pain with that.

However the pain from the flu injection site did not kick in for about 7 days or so after.  I did not make the connection but the injection is the only thing different in my life.  Has anyone else had a delay in the pain starting as against it coning on right away?

Hi, I had severe soreness in the arm right away but I lost the use of my wrist and fingers about 48 hours later.  I also have severe neck issues and when I lost the use of my hand my first thought was it had something to do with my neck.  I went to my doctor and he thought I might have had a stroke.  I spent two days in the hospital to find out my radial nerve in my arm is damaged.  I know the flu shot is the reason this happened.  Everyone said she put it too low on my arm.  I have been trying to get a attorney to help me and am having trouble getting anyone to take my case.  I don't know if it's just the type of case or if it's just not a big money maker case.  I feel if someone doesn't know how to give these injections they shouldn't be giving them.  I am slowly getting the use of my hand now which is now 3 months since the shot.  This really scared me...  It could have been permanent.  I will never get a shot or let anyone draw blood from me again.  
I have talked to several attorneys and no one wants to take the case and I am not sure why...  Not enough damage?  I don't understand how someone that doesn't know enough to give these shots correctly can continue to give them.  I guess if the issue was permanent, there would be a larger amount of money involved.  I thought attorneys were here to help.  I guess I was wrong.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know...
Thank you
Hello, i`m a male 32 and had my first ever flu shot 3 days ago, the pain gradually got worse within the first hour of receiving it, by bedtime i was in extreme pain and my arm was beginning to swell, my joints were sore, and my head felt fuzzy and i was disorientated with occasional shakes. I awoke every hour or so due to the pain and halfway through the night i could not lie on my back as even this caused more pain to the arm. By morning i was in one of the worse states iv even been in so i had no option but to take things easy. From day two my arm had begun to get scarily warm and still is the same. Anyway, its now day three and the swelling of the area where i got the jag remains the same. However, now the area of my tricep is becoming the exact same and it appears to be working its way down the arm... I know this sounds strange, and i live with my girlfriend who says its meant to swell and ill be okay, but i also received the pneumonia shot on my opposite arm so i have that to compare it with as they were both done at the same time. I`m giving it till monday as its sunday am at the moment but i just thought i would add this and will let you know how i get on.
i understand,i got the shot 2days ago my shoulder and arm hurt so bad i could not catch my breath,i went to the er they said i was having a bad reaction to the flu shot,by the way the doc who took care of me refuses himself to ever get one...my hand is now totally numb,pins and needles i cant sleep even with the pain meds so i am heading back to the er tomorrow with information bout GBS i want checked for it...i am freaked out
i also had the flu jab and had pain for 6 weeks now . i went to the docs and he said the jab was injected into my tendon and it would take 8 weeks to settle down. he also said that it was extreemly  rare for this to happen . he told me to take co-codemol and rub piroxicam gel on the sore part hope this is useful for you . the pain is easing but its probably due to pain killers will never have the jab again thats fact
This so *****...... Now i am on narcotic pain meds thanks alot. and its no help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My friend (in her 30's) got a flu shot a few years ago and ended up with very bad joint pain all over.  I lasted for months.  I explained to her that it was the mercury in the flu shot that affects the joints so terribly (and other things) but she just thought is was a coincidence......until.......the following year when she got another flu shot, and the joint pain immediately when to X's ten.  She now suffers from joint pain all the time as well as fatigue.  There are tens of thousands of people who end up with life-long suffering because of the flu shot.  We have a generation full of children with neurodevelopmental disorders because of the flu shot and other vaccines.  Mercury is a neurotoxin (brain toxin) and toxic to the body in general.  The flu shot and other vaccines make more patients for the pharmaceutical companies.  WAKE UP America !!!
I've been getting a flue shot at Walgreen's for at least 7 years with no side-effects. This year, however,  after getting the shot, I've experienced nothing but increasing pain in my right arm, radiating upward into my shoulder and affecting the right side of my neck. I run regularly a minimum of 5 miles daily and am now having trouble holding my right arm upright. I find the need to keep straightening it to relieve the pain and discomfort I'm having. What the heck is going on here? I had the shot in early September and we're approaching December. Perhaps it is time for a class action law suit. Sign me up!!!!!
The exact same thing also happened to me 2 years ago.  For many years I got my annual shot at the local Walgreens, Longs, or CVS.  The symptoms and pain appeared about 1 or 2 months after getting the shot in my left arm.  I discovered this blog and was glad I wasn't alone, but did not seek medical help due to all the comments here...I figured my doctor wouldn't have a reasonable explanation either.  Also, because there were so many of us, I contacted an attorney to no avail.  Then after about 9 months all the pain and discomfort completely disappeared...thank goodness!  I think it has something to do with how the shot is given, who gives it, and the proximity of the bone.  I now get my shots only at my doctor's office and in the thigh or butt.  I recommend this to all!
I got a flu shot in my upper left arm Oct 24, 2011. I could hardly move my arm for a day and since then there is constant pain. I can't lift my arm to put clothes on, carry my purse on my left arm, driving is painful, sleeping on my left is difficult and when I jog on the treadmill, it feels like the muscle falls a bit and then pops back up where it's supposed to be. Reading these cases just tells me not to go to the doctor because they can't help. I hope this goes away soon because it is very painful. I know without a doubt that I got this from the flu shot.
I also got the flu shot on 10/14/2011 at a free clinic conducted by the local health department. Since then I'm also experiencing pain in my left shoulder muscle and joint. I also can't lift my shoulder up to wear or remove my shirt. I haven't been to my Dr yet, but planning to. My wife also got the shot at the same time but she is fine. But the shot was administered by a different nurse.
i got the flu shot 10/24/11 and the nurse that gave me the shot, gave it to me in the joint on right shoulder. later discovered this was a student nurse and i was not informed it was a student. since then, been back to dr. several times and they said it will get better. no way. still hurts and had an mri 4 days ago and have not yet heard results. i think the nurse hit something and they wont admit it, but its sore and really pissed me off. im going to fight this and get relief someway.
OMG...Mom thought she was going crazy!  She is 84 and had no problems at all before she got the flu shot in October from a technician at the doctor's office.  Mom's very active: cuts her own grass, works 3 days a week, bowls in 2 leagues...She has all the symptoms you have shared.  She has to take her right arm to move her left arm, She is having trouble getting dressed and with sleeping.  Now she is having trouble standing up - the pain radiates across the top of her thighs.  She has to stand still for a few moments so she can get her balance.  Last week, they took a shoulder x-ray and now said there is something wrong with her blood work. She said that the regular doctor said that she is not ruling out the flu shot.  I am taking her there tomorrow and will try not to explode on these people.  I am so grateful for all of you who have taken the time to post your stories.  Bless you all!
So glad I stumbled on this site.  I'm 62 and had my first flu shot Oct 1st and here I am 8 weeks later really sore upper arm at and around the injection site, the pain radiates down into my forearm and now in the middle of the night I wake up with numbness and pins and needles in my hand and this is not from sleeping on it as I haven't been able to sleep on that arm since my flu jab.  This cannot be right!  
re the post of 12/5 by me, capspoon, had mri now they say i have a torn rotator cuff. have not had any accident or anything to cause this and it did not start until i got the flu shot. got to go to dr. 12/9 and see what they say. this is complete crap. the dr. says the flu shot had nothng to do with it.
I hope everyone is able to read this... I for one don't think it has anything to do with the FLU medication at all or the serum.  I had a Rabies vaccine on 11/04 of this year that was administered too high in my deltoid or humerus. I was NOT at a retail chain drug store I was at the Infusion Center at a major hospital in my area.  I am now under the care of an Orthopedic Surgeon outside of this medical group..I had an MR-Arthrogram that shows a partial Rotator Cuff Tear (or fraying of the tendon).  Surgery has not been ruled out but he would first like to try Celebrex.  I'm sure some people do have allergic reactions to serums and what not but if you think the vaccine was given too high than you are not having an allergic reaction.  Because the FLU Vaccine is going around EVERYWHERE & ANYWHERE it seems that its the serum but its not.  It's NEGLIGENCE on behalf of the administrator.
It's been 3 months of pain, On Celebrex, had 3 cortisone shots, x-ray (nothing showed), 1st MRI showed 3 small tears, tendinosis & bursitis. 2nd MRI showed recents shoulder dislocation episode, & 3 tears. Pysical Theropy for 2 months. One orthopedic doctor says I will probably need surgery (which consist of 1 month no arm use & 4 more months of PT). 2nd Orthopedic doctor says the pain is not because of the tears (& don't need surgery) it's due to Frozen Shoulder. Going for a 3rd opinion next week. Doctor insisted I must haven fallen & would have felt shoulder dislocation (which I did not fall with pain). He also does not believe me that I got this from the flu shot.  I am so tired of people telling me it's not from the shot & so tired of putting out so much money from an injury I KNOW came from the shot. I do have to say the cortisone shots & PT have helped a bit, but my nights still bad & PT is painful.  I think I am physically drained from living with this pain.
November 2009 I received an H1N1 flu shot. Ever since the day I received it I had nothing but pain. Months later had x-rays which of course revealed nothing. One year later I had MRI which also of course revealed nothing. Today I finally went to see a new doctor and finally was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder. The doctor said that there is no scientific data that shows what causes a frozen shoulder. He said it is a possibility that the injection which was given to me by a "Unit Secretary" not a nurse was the cause of it, but right now there is no real data to prove it. He did say that even their anesthesiologist had a really bad reaction to the flu shot he received which was both the H1N1 and the normal flu shot. So all of you out there with this same problem and no answers get another opinion until you get a real diagnosis. The doctor says I will be fine after the surgery. He diagnosed me with "SEVERE frozen shoulder" and believe me the pain is unbelievable! I have gone 2 yrs in this pain and will be happy to have the surgery done as long as it means I will finally heal!
I spoke to an attorney today he is going to get with his paralegal monday to see if I have a medical malepractice case. 11/09 H1N1 shot from a "unit secretary" they take a test or whatever in order to give shots but they are not a nurse. She used the draw needle which is a larger needle that you are supposed to change when you go to give the shot. She gave the shot in too high. Yes this can all cause inflamation in the shoulder which can cause frozen shoulder. I will keep you up to date you may want to talk to a lawyer. Mean while I am getting surgery on 1/3/12.
I too have the shoulder bursitis/tendonitis/neck/upper scapula signs too. This came a couple of weeks after my CVS flu shot. They tell you that you can't be harmed by "dead" organisms injected into you. What they don't say is that the "dead" organisms are actually inactive virus' and not bacteria! And unlike a bacteria, a virus is more difficult to eradiacate. As we know any virus is inactive until it finds itself within a host with DNA to replicate so the "dead" organism comment is misleading.

I suspect the problem is trauma caused by the injection (of the virus) wrongly placed on the shoulder that somehow affects nearby bursa. Who knows what the virus does once inside of us? Nevertheless, the swollen bursa likely migrates pain along nerves throughout regions of noted pain. Probably the focus of treatment should be for bursitis; in other words inflammation of the bursa. Most accounts of treatment seem to suggest rest to reduce synovial fluid and its pressure which brings about the pain. However, gradual mild stretch exercises might help although some PT exercises could do more harm than help. If you feel pain, you're creating more fluid in the bursa.

In my case, I have full mobility and enjoy much activity. I think it's because I follow a complete anti-inflammatory diet along with extra supplements like vitamin C and grape seed extract. Maybe if you don't want another injection (of cortisone), it's notable that supplemental turmeric supposedly rivals cortisone as an anti-inflammatory. Also I think coconut oil with lauric acid, which is a rare anti-viral compound, might also help if the injected virus is somehow active. If anyone is following any these protocols, please share your experiences. Folks, with rare exceptions the medical community seems to be ignoring our plight (see exception of blu100 above) so let's generate our own ideas?

I too have experienced discomfort from the flu shot. I was given the shot in my upper left arm (about 4 weeks ago) and ever since I've been in pain. Somedays it is an ache to the bone, always very stiff and sore. I cannot lift my arm above my head and at times it feels like I have a strange sensation. Hard to describe but close to numbness with some itching of the skin. Even my hand aches...this is ridiculous as I was not warned of any possible side effect such as these. If I had been believe me I would have refused. A pharmacist friend suggested a bad dose of the vaccine or it went straight to my bone...I think it is the latter because of my shoulder and arm pain.Good luck to all who are experiencing the same discomfort I am...
I am adding my experience in hope that CDC takes note of the many websites addressing the issue of flu shot pain. My shot was administered Nov 15, 2011 by employee health. I was unable to sleep that night due to upper arm pain and by the next day had lost function of upper arm. Pain severe. Couldn't open car door, exercise (push ups, weights)  Advil covers the pain fully but I take it only when severe to limit side effects.  Five weeks later I am beginning physical therapy. Therapist believes I have rotator cuff tendenotis and biceptical tendonitis.  She has recommended gentle stretch exercises and four weeks of therapy.

I am in enough pain Christmas eve morning to write this message rather than finish wrapping presents.  By the way, my primary care physician said she had not heard of this and asked her colleagues who agreed they had not either.  I handed her several pages of testimony from websites I explored.   I am in excellent health except for this post flu shot disability.This is a serious issue and if the administration of the shot is the problem, it should be addressed and the nurses given better training. Also perhaps people about to receive the flu shot should be handed a flier with instructions about proper placement of flu shot on the arm so they can be vigilant and speak up when the nurse is placing the injection incorrectly.
Excerpted from Department of Health and Human Services - Advisory Commission on Childhood Vaccines(ACCV), Sept. 3, 2010

"The commonalities in our cases, none of them had any prior shoulder injuries, they had all received a vaccination to which they had previously been exposed, all had relatively rapid onset of shoulder pain, the symptoms were limited to the shoulder, all had symptoms consistent with a local immune mediated inflammatory response, and all had limitation of range of motion of the shoulder with pain.

Some additional considerations – we don’t think it is due to any particular vaccination but rather one that the person has been exposed to before. We don’t think needle length is an issue in all cases considering that in our series the BMIs were all either elevated or normal, and there were no persons who were underweight. So thinking about the studies where they looked at BMI we don’t think that is the issue in our case. But we do think there is a strong possibility of improper vaccination technique.

We did also consider, although I don’t think we identified any in our cases in particular, that muscle mass may be an issue, especially in older female adults. One other thing that we considered when we looked at all of the diagnostic studies in our cases, with the abnormal MRI findings, is that many times patients can have either asymptomatic MRI findings, such as rotator cuff injuries or tears, that may predate the vaccination, and it may not be involved in the particular injury at the time or it may the condition may have been aggravated by the localized immune response.

So what we concluded was that vaccines can be unintentionally injected into tissues of the shoulder rather than the deltoid, either due to improper vaccination technique or to inappropriate needle length. And there is a potential for prolonged immune mediated reaction when the synovial joint tissue is exposed to the vaccine. As a result of this shoulder pain and dysfunction can occur from either improper vaccination technique or inappropriate needle length.

What we are recommending for consideration is during vaccination avoiding the upper third of the deltoid and that when the vaccination takes place the provider and the patient should be at the same level. If the provider is standing and the patient is seated there is a tendency to go further up aiming down. Preferably the patient should be seated, both should be seated, because syncopal or fainting episodes can occur – very common with vaccination.

So that would be the optimum way to have a vaccination occur.
The vaccination is not just a simple act and then it is done. We think what you should actually consider as well is that definitely the appropriate needle length based on BMI and perhaps in certain individuals you might even want to consider an alternate injection site, particularly if they have a low amount of muscle mass.

One additional thing was that the rheumatologist suggested was that the MRI and diagnostics should be performed prior to any steroid injections, because steroids are useful but they can actually cause harm. They can cause tissue atrophy and damage them themselves, so you would want to get a good picture of what is going on in the shoulder before injecting."  Comments by Dr. Sarah Atanasoff, Medical Officer, DVIC
The pain in my upper arm is very intense. The doctor said that the right bicep is tight and inflamed. The pain can move around and go into shoulder and the trapezius muscle. I also have scabs that form on my arm and the right side of my back. The doctor said maybe they are ingrown hairs. If so, why in just that one area? The flu shot was painful as soon as I received it. I was told to massage it. The pain in my arm has gotten more painful as time goes by. All of a sudden, I couldn't use my arm without horrible pain. This is almost 6 months after the flu shot. It is almost a year now. This morning I woke up with the thought that the pain in my arm could be from the flu shot I received in 2010. I searched 'flu shot in muscle causes pain' and this site came up. All of these people complaining about the same pain. What bothers me is it has gotten more painful over time and the pain is moving and the scabs are spreading. It seems to be getting worse rather than better and it is no longer localized. I was going to see an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI, but he will probably find inflammation and then what?-Pain pills and physical therapy.
So count me in.  This isn't a club that any of us would have joined if we'd had the chance to choose.  Within 2 hours of my pneumonia shot, the pain started.  The shot was administered WAY too high.  Felt like she was cramming the vaccine into a rock.  The pain is horrible, the use of the arm limited.  I am going to see an ortho doc tomorrow, but don't have much hope.  This is ridiculous.  I feel like a cripple!!  As soon as I try to do something, I pay handsomely with more pain.  HELP
I had similar experience after I had my flu shot, and accidently I found the affective treatment for my pain that lasted over six month.  I took Acetyl L- Carnitine 250 MG and you  MUST take Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 MG together 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner.  My experience was similar to all who had the flu shot, I had excruciating pain in my arm, shoulder, nick,  I had emergency visits to physiotherapy, I had the hot the ice treatment, I also took numerous pain killer but nothing helped. I am diabetic senior citizen woman and my doctor recommended that I get the flu shot which I never took  before.  For many reasons I always took charge of my own health including my diabetes which I reversed on my own and never depended on medical advice alone before I researched for additional opinion on line.  After loading up the syringe my doctor stuck the needle just somewhere in my arm like a shot in the dark without aiming at the right place which is about 6 inches down from the shoulder, immediately I felt sever pain I even screamed and complained to him why it hurts so much.  Soon after I started feeling the dilapidating pain and numbness in my arm, shoulder nick.  I purchased the vitamins on line from www.puritans.com  as part of my diabetic treatment.  Please note, I a retired Canadian senior citizen and do not work for this company.  Good luck to all, and let me know if my advice was helpful to you. Please research Acetyl L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid which is a great antioxidant.

Lisa
I recently had a rotator cuff surgery after a cycling accident, all better now. However I had a flu shot in November 2011 in my other arm and soon found it painful, several weeks later limited movement and it feels identical to my torn rotator cuff experience, same movement issues and identical pain. I could not figure out how I possible could have tore it, knowing the force that went into tearing mine durring the cycling accident.
I am shocked to read all of this, it will certainly cost me at least $1800 deducible to get imaging done to figure out what is wrong, I am not sure if anyone has gone back to where they got there shot and confronted them?
Received a flu shot 7 1/2 weeks ago and instantly thought it was given in a higher than usual location. Pain ensued and no relief in sight despite taking ibuprofen. Can't sleep at night because of the pain even when flat on my back. My husband, a physician, says the increased numbers of sufferers may be due to pharmacists,etc, giving the injection. I say this trauma was probably never  noted and followed especially since a higher majority of older women are sufferers. Perhaps shots should be given in the buttocks or thigh. I won't be getting another injection. PLEASE, all sufferers, FILE A REPORT with the gov't agency      http://vaers.hhs.gov/index    so that statistics can be filed and recommendations changed!!!!!!
I just got a tetanus shot two days ago. The MA gave me the shot right in my shoulder joint, not the muscle.  I've been in horrible pain since, can't get dressed, lift my arm.  My neck is stiff & sore. I've had chills, nausea, & fatigue. I know pain from the tetanus shot is common, but my concern is the actual placement of the shot. Any body have any ideas, suggestions, or advice?
I had my flu shot two weeks ago and for the first four days everything was fine but then this severe shoulder and back of the neck pain started. Like many others I can`t sleep on the side where the injection was given, and I can`t lie on my back or front either. I wake up every night in severe pain ( I`m typing this at 1-45am as something to do ) My doctor says the injection would not have caused this, but I can feel the pain in the injection area still and have not done anything physical which could have caused this. I have started having tests done - but nothing is showing up on them so far.
I am prescribed anti-inflams which help a bit, but am finding a really hot shower on the shoulder works the best to settle things down. I have had flu shots before with zero problems but with this continuing the way it is I will Never have another flu shot again.
I am surprised to read about so many who have had adverse effects. I've had many flu shots and never had any reaction quite like this recent one,so I'm thinking it must be the type of flu it's fighting. we never get the same flu-fighting cocktail.It's different each year based on what nasty virus is floating around. My grandkids are little human petri dishes so as I am 58 and more susceptible than before,I got the shot. I took off for vacation the next week having had very little reaction to the shot;mild drowsiness and slight fever on the first night.Then I forgot about it. 2 weeks later while wandering around Mexico,I had a sudden sharp pain in my right arm and actually cried out loud it was such a sharp sudden pain. I  thought I'd been stung by a bee. As I rubbed up and down ,I realized thet the whole muscle/tendons just under the skin was totally numb. The sharp sudden pain has happened many more times and feels more like a tearing muscle now than a sting. The only conclusion I ever came up with was that the pain starts at the immediate site of the flu injection from 1 month ago. The pain is less frequent,but my arm is still numb.
I received the flu shot 10 days ago. I have gotten the flu shot every year for as long as I can remember. This year, I got it done a a Rite Aid pharmacy thinking I would save on the copay. MISTAKE!  As soon as the needle was injectected, I felt tingling down through my elbow into my pinky finger. That day and the next day my arm hurt so bad that I couldn't lift my arm or touch it and struggled putting my shirts on/off.  The pain subsided, however 2 days ago, the pain returned  and now I can not lift my arm again.  
I have been giving injections myself for 11 years and I knew the shot was given too high in my shoulder. I don't know what to do now after reading all of these posts.   In an effort to save $15, I now pray I don't have any permanent damage to my nerve.
I know from experience of leaning on my elbow that the ulnar nerve, when it has been compressed, can cause tingling in the pinky.  I do hope you do not have permanent nerve damage from your injection also!
I'm 60. I've been getting the flu shot every year for many years. I have COPD. This year I had the flu shot in early September (at a local Walgreens). It is now October 3rd, about 4 weeks later. My shoulder still hurts and the range of motion is very limited because of the pain. Getting dressed, driving, etc are difficult without a lot of 'gnashing of teeth' pain and unpleasent words. Sleeping on it is excruciating. Trying to turn over in the middle of the night is true agony! I also feel, well, just plain lousy...like I'm running a low-grade fever, but I'm not. I went to the ER last week because I couldn't take the pain and the 'puny' feeling anymore. After blood work, EKG, xrays, and an MRI the diagnosis....'a virus of some sort' and they let me go.

I finally got in to see my primary care doc yesterday. After explaining the story of the flu shot, that I have never had any shoulder pain, EVER before, how lousy I feel, etc. he reviewed the tests they did at the hospital,  threw up has hands and said "I don't have a clue." After I showed him/demonstrated how the range of motion was limited, and where and how the pain was located he brought up the possibility of 'subdeltoid bursitis' and recommended that I see a Rhumatologist. That appointment is this coming Friday. Now, my own research has found a lot of references to this side effect that neither my primary care doc OR the folks in the ER either did not know about or just didn't want to consider. It's called S.I.R.V. which is:Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration. Here is a good reference site for info about the condition:
http://vactruth.com/2010/09/06/shoulder-injury-related-to-vaccine-administration/
...At least now I know I'm not alone, and NOT imagining things!
Follow-up:
Got in to the Rhumatologist this morning. He was not familiar with the term 'SIRV', or 'Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration,' but in his opinion the pain I am suffering IS due to improper administration of the flu shot that was probably given in the WRONG part of my arm -too far under and behind the deltoid muscle. He thinks a nerve was impinged during the injection. Diagnosis: Neuritis AND Bursitis. He prescribed a six-day course of Prednisone to relieve the inflammation and advised me to continue taking Acetaminophen. He also advised that from here on out that I get the flu shot, in my hip, at a my doctor's office and NOT a drug store! The other part of this which has still not been figured out and addressed to my satisfaction is...why do I still feel so damn lousy, lethargic and totally drained of energy?
Try taking 1000 mg of ester-C vitamin in the morning and a 1000 mg at night along with some zinc, and possibly even some Naturemade brand Sam-e  in the morning (for energy and mood) and see if you feel better?

Also, you might have your doctor make sure you are not feeling sluggish and lethargic because you are anemic, your potassium is low, your vitamin B 12 is low, or your thyroid function is sluggish.  

There is a risk with getting shots in your hip also... if not properly administered, a person can potentially wind up with some paralysis.  I say if you get a nurse in a doctor's office who knows how to administer the flu shot properly in the deltoid, it might be at least as well to get it there as in the hip.