Side affect of flu shot???
A 64 year old family member had the flu vaccination on Oct 29th.  There was a day or two of soreness of the arm, now they are having pain in the upper arm muscle and shoulder joint.  Could this be related to the flu shot?  What could be the cause?  It is hard for them to lay on that side and becomes quite intesnse.
Hi flower1942, I am wondering just how the shot was given. I recently had a flu shot and hardly felt it. Does the family member have extremely sensitive skin? Maybe a trip to the doctor would be the wise thing to do. I hope they feel better soon. jrsygrl62
Hi,  There was nothing done incorrectly about the administration of the shot.  We consulted with our doctor and was told that the symptoms were not related to the shot.  In my 65 years, however, I have seen a lot and "never say never" to anything!  All has resolved now.  Thanks for answering!
I have had soreness in my upper arm for 10 weeks, a direct result of the flu shot. I had a cortisone shot to relieve the pain, but my arm is still weak. How did the Dr. resolve your pain?
I am having the same soreness in my arm also after 10 weeks from the flu shot. I've heard that who injected the needle could have hit a tendon causes the soreness. What do you think? I plan on making an appointment with the doctor ASAP.
very interesting that i stumbled upon this forum...i had a flu shot mon. the 24th of dec. and i was shocked at how sore my arm has been! i have never experienced soreness and stiffness to this degree.

almost one week later i still have it. i thought it was most unusal since never having it in the past like this.

i got to the point, i also coud not turn in bed, or barely move the left arm. getting shirts up over my head has been painful.

IMO....it's the particlar serum being used this year.
I got a flu shot much too high on my arm way back in late Oct. and my shoulder is still horribly sore. I was shocked when the nurse stuck me that high on the arm and told her so but she said that is where it is suppose to go. I told her I've been getting shots for 54 years and I had never been hit that high up on my arm and she took offense so I just dropped it. Now I am beginning to wonder if my arm if apparently my arm may have permanent damage due to the placement of this shot. I went to prevent a possible week of sickness and instead have had 2 and half months of agony. I was absolutely fine before I got the shot.
Since my flu shot on Dec. 21, I've suffered shoulder pain. The actual shot itself was not that bad, then the pain steadily got worse. There was one day it hurt so bad that several people at work said I looked pale. Hurts most when I lift my shoulder above my head or put on a shirt or jacket. Also gets worse if I sleep on that side.

I am a very healthy runner, 52 years old, whose shoulder did not bother me at all until I got the flu shot. This is the last one I'll ever get.
I had a flu shot early in October 2007 .  It was administered on my upper right arm.  The day after the shot my arm became very sore and difficult to move.  Since that time, my upper arm is in pain and at times my fingers tingle and get numb.  I can't lift my arm up dress or undress myself and I can't get in a comfortable position when I sleep.  I believe that it is as a direct result of the flu shot.  I never had any discomfort in this arm before that.

by Margocando, Jan. 28, 2008.

I had a flu shot in my left upper arm in early November 07. It hurt quite a bit for 8 to 10 days after instead of the normal day or two, but I didn't pay much attention as I am an ex-athlete and a little pain is no big deal. Ever since the shot both shoulder joints hurt, my upper back joints and all 10 fingers are stiff at night and in the morning. I do not have arthritis and had no joint pain prior to the shot. This has been very scary and I just had blood work done try to evaluate what is going on. All my blood work came back normal. I have researched this on the internet and found out that many people have adverse reactions to the shot and that most cases resolve but there is no cure and even the Mayo Clinic doctors say you just have to wait it out. I think, we, the public are ill informed regarding the ingredients in the shot and the possible side effects. I have been in pain now for three months with no improvement. I will NEVER get a flu shot again.  I  feel terrible and am in constant pain (better during the day) but at least I can function. I feel so sorry for those who had even worse reactions. Hang in there - I guess good diet and rest and pain meds is about all we can do.
I am suffering the same shoulder pain from the flu shot.  It has been going on for five weeks now and is not getting any better.  I am at my wits end with the misery.  Is there anything a physican can do or do I just need to wait it out ?  I tried the tylenol and it helps but always comes back after the meds ware off.   How can we get the word out to the public that this can be a flu side effect ?  
My co-workers and I all had the flu shot given on 10/29/07 and the nurse gave it too high into the shoulder joint.  We are now 4 months out with shoulder pain although it's not nearly as bad as it was.  In the beginning you could hardly lift your arm, lift weights, or anything.  It seems that those that were thinner were the ones affected more by the improper placement.  Our MRI's showed bone marrow edema, bursitis and arthritis in one.  I have a news station willing to do a story but we're still fighting the hospital trying to figure out what they hell they did to us.  Allergic reactions will clear up within a week or two, but if it was administered wrong, who knows
I had a flu shot about 3 weeks ago (mid October 2008) and my arm is in agony. It tingles with pins and needles feeling. Throbs etc. The pain I can sense is eminating from the shot area in both directions of my arm all the way to my hand. I have changed from heat to icing it down which seems to help. I am trying both Advil and Tylenol. I try to grit it out during the day and load up on pills and ice it down at night. It is SLOWLY getting better. I have NEVER EVER had a problem before. This will be my LAST flu shot!!!!
I also had a flu shot mid October high in the arm. After 3 weeks of agony and a medrol dose pack (steroids), I went to see a doctor. Xrays showed nothing, but an MRI showed inflammation of the bone and a fluid filled pocket between my bone and periosteum. My doctor feels the shot was given between the bone and tissue layer (peristeum) over the bone. The nurse even said to me while giving the injection, I can't get it to inject. I asked her if she was in the bone and she replied no. She pushed hard and apparently tore the periosteum off the bone to creat the pocket that she injected into. I have now had a bone scan and CT scan. I am awaiting the results of the CT scan. My doctor wants to wait it out and see if it will resolve itself. I don't know how long I can wait since I can't even take off my own shirt.
This was my first and last flu shot!
I too have had all the same symptoms everyone is posting. I had the shot in the end of October and it's now mid December. I am going to the doctor tomorrow. I will post if I get any answers.
I got the flu shot on Oct. 4, 2008.  I immediately had a very sore upper arm, which has stayed sore for 3 1/2 months and remains sore to the touch.  About three weeks after the shot, I was unable to lift my arms above my head, and had severe shoulder pain.  I am now in physical therapy, and have been referred to an orthopedist for an appt. in 2 weeks.  I cannot have an MRI because I have metal in my body, so I do not know if they will ever find out what went wrong.  I never had shoulder pain prior to this flu shot, and I have had flu shots every year without these problems. I''d be glad to receive any suggestions as to what might relieve this on-going pain and physical limitation.
Sweetiepie2
I received the flu shot on October 1, 2008 and have been in pain ever since.  The nurse put it way to high and it hurt so bad.  I have had an MRI and it showed fluid, so my doctor said put ice and heat and take ibuprofen.  3 visits and 9 months later he referred me to a Orthopedics.  In which found on that same MRI a lipoma!!  I am still hurting everyday and now do not know if this injury to a bone or what caused this lipoma!  I am limited also for physical activities or am paying for it for days to weeks after!  They are trying to see if this shot can cause the lipoma!  I know it caused all the pain.  Unfortunately we do not know enough about the causes of lipomas.

Thanks for more insight!
I to recieved the flu shot 3 weeks ago and am in terrible pain in my left shoulder. It hurt really bad when the guy at walgreens gave it to me. I have never had a shot hurt so bad and it has made my arm painful to raise. I can hardly sleep at night. I hate to hear how long some have hurt with this. I went to an ortho specialist in shoulders and he gave me pain pills and said come back in 3 weeks. the x-ray showed nothing. I can't believe something so painful doesn't show up. I was fine before this shot. I am hurting day and night and no one knows what is causeing it. It had to be related to the shot, I was fine before it and the pain came immediately after it. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know, I am miserable. I am 52 and feel like I am 80!
I just had a flu shot on Sept. 22, 3 weeks ago. My arm was pretty sore for the next couple of days, then seemed to be getting better, then all of a sudden got worse and gets worse each day. Went to the Dr. today and was put on Medrol (steriods) and pain med. Also had x-rays done. Suppose to go back on Friday if not better, have a feeling it won't be. It is so strange how it keeps getting worse, can't sleep at night and like what other have said cannot remove my shirts without horrible pain. I have had flu shots all my life and never experienced this. Went to Walgreens b/c ins. was offering 5.00 flu shots there, thought why not, now it is costing be a bundle. Doubt I will ever have one again.
I received the flu shot on Oct 9, 2009, at Walgreen's, and I'm totally alarmed by this thread if this is what I have to look forward to.....as many have posted, I thought the shot was given too high up, and I'm concerned that he hit some area of my joint and NOT my muscle...

The pain comes and goes, and seems to be exacerbated by sleeping in certain positions.  So far driving is the worst--lifting my arm in front of me!!  (It's ok if I use my other arm to put the affected arm on the steering wheel.....)

Anyway, I still believe in the good of flu shots, but if they can't locate a meaty-enough spot to administer it in in my arm (and people, I am normal sized so there should have been enough meat!), then I seriously might consider asking for it in the glutes next time.....
I had a flu shot a week ago and it still hurts in my arm and into my shoulder.  I have called the doctor's office twice and they say to watch it and take Tylenol.  I will think twice about ever getting a flu shot again.