Senior Health Community
Side affect of flu shot???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

Side affect of flu shot???

A 64 year old family member had the flu vaccination on Oct 29th.  There was a day or two of soreness of the arm, now they are having pain in the upper arm muscle and shoulder joint.  Could this be related to the flu shot?  What could be the cause?  It is hard for them to lay on that side and becomes quite intesnse.
Hi flower1942, I am wondering just how the shot was given. I recently had a flu shot and hardly felt it. Does the family member have extremely sensitive skin? Maybe a trip to the doctor would be the wise thing to do. I hope they feel better soon. jrsygrl62
Hi,  There was nothing done incorrectly about the administration of the shot.  We consulted with our doctor and was told that the symptoms were not related to the shot.  In my 65 years, however, I have seen a lot and "never say never" to anything!  All has resolved now.  Thanks for answering!
I have had soreness in my upper arm for 10 weeks, a direct result of the flu shot. I had a cortisone shot to relieve the pain, but my arm is still weak. How did the Dr. resolve your pain?
I am having the same soreness in my arm also after 10 weeks from the flu shot. I've heard that who injected the needle could have hit a tendon causes the soreness. What do you think? I plan on making an appointment with the doctor ASAP.
very interesting that i stumbled upon this forum...i had a flu shot mon. the 24th of dec. and i was shocked at how sore my arm has been! i have never experienced soreness and stiffness to this degree.

almost one week later i still have it. i thought it was most unusal since never having it in the past like this.

i got to the point, i also coud not turn in bed, or barely move the left arm. getting shirts up over my head has been painful.

IMO....it's the particlar serum being used this year.
I got a flu shot much too high on my arm way back in late Oct. and my shoulder is still horribly sore. I was shocked when the nurse stuck me that high on the arm and told her so but she said that is where it is suppose to go. I told her I've been getting shots for 54 years and I had never been hit that high up on my arm and she took offense so I just dropped it. Now I am beginning to wonder if my arm if apparently my arm may have permanent damage due to the placement of this shot. I went to prevent a possible week of sickness and instead have had 2 and half months of agony. I was absolutely fine before I got the shot.
Since my flu shot on Dec. 21, I've suffered shoulder pain. The actual shot itself was not that bad, then the pain steadily got worse. There was one day it hurt so bad that several people at work said I looked pale. Hurts most when I lift my shoulder above my head or put on a shirt or jacket. Also gets worse if I sleep on that side.

I am a very healthy runner, 52 years old, whose shoulder did not bother me at all until I got the flu shot. This is the last one I'll ever get.
I had a flu shot early in October 2007 .  It was administered on my upper right arm.  The day after the shot my arm became very sore and difficult to move.  Since that time, my upper arm is in pain and at times my fingers tingle and get numb.  I can't lift my arm up dress or undress myself and I can't get in a comfortable position when I sleep.  I believe that it is as a direct result of the flu shot.  I never had any discomfort in this arm before that.

by Margocando, Jan. 28, 2008.

I had a flu shot in my left upper arm in early November 07. It hurt quite a bit for 8 to 10 days after instead of the normal day or two, but I didn't pay much attention as I am an ex-athlete and a little pain is no big deal. Ever since the shot both shoulder joints hurt, my upper back joints and all 10 fingers are stiff at night and in the morning. I do not have arthritis and had no joint pain prior to the shot. This has been very scary and I just had blood work done try to evaluate what is going on. All my blood work came back normal. I have researched this on the internet and found out that many people have adverse reactions to the shot and that most cases resolve but there is no cure and even the Mayo Clinic doctors say you just have to wait it out. I think, we, the public are ill informed regarding the ingredients in the shot and the possible side effects. I have been in pain now for three months with no improvement. I will NEVER get a flu shot again.  I  feel terrible and am in constant pain (better during the day) but at least I can function. I feel so sorry for those who had even worse reactions. Hang in there - I guess good diet and rest and pain meds is about all we can do.
I am suffering the same shoulder pain from the flu shot.  It has been going on for five weeks now and is not getting any better.  I am at my wits end with the misery.  Is there anything a physican can do or do I just need to wait it out ?  I tried the tylenol and it helps but always comes back after the meds ware off.   How can we get the word out to the public that this can be a flu side effect ?  
My co-workers and I all had the flu shot given on 10/29/07 and the nurse gave it too high into the shoulder joint.  We are now 4 months out with shoulder pain although it's not nearly as bad as it was.  In the beginning you could hardly lift your arm, lift weights, or anything.  It seems that those that were thinner were the ones affected more by the improper placement.  Our MRI's showed bone marrow edema, bursitis and arthritis in one.  I have a news station willing to do a story but we're still fighting the hospital trying to figure out what they hell they did to us.  Allergic reactions will clear up within a week or two, but if it was administered wrong, who knows
I had a flu shot about 3 weeks ago (mid October 2008) and my arm is in agony. It tingles with pins and needles feeling. Throbs etc. The pain I can sense is eminating from the shot area in both directions of my arm all the way to my hand. I have changed from heat to icing it down which seems to help. I am trying both Advil and Tylenol. I try to grit it out during the day and load up on pills and ice it down at night. It is SLOWLY getting better. I have NEVER EVER had a problem before. This will be my LAST flu shot!!!!
I also had a flu shot mid October high in the arm. After 3 weeks of agony and a medrol dose pack (steroids), I went to see a doctor. Xrays showed nothing, but an MRI showed inflammation of the bone and a fluid filled pocket between my bone and periosteum. My doctor feels the shot was given between the bone and tissue layer (peristeum) over the bone. The nurse even said to me while giving the injection, I can't get it to inject. I asked her if she was in the bone and she replied no. She pushed hard and apparently tore the periosteum off the bone to creat the pocket that she injected into. I have now had a bone scan and CT scan. I am awaiting the results of the CT scan. My doctor wants to wait it out and see if it will resolve itself. I don't know how long I can wait since I can't even take off my own shirt.
This was my first and last flu shot!
I too have had all the same symptoms everyone is posting. I had the shot in the end of October and it's now mid December. I am going to the doctor tomorrow. I will post if I get any answers.
I got the flu shot on Oct. 4, 2008.  I immediately had a very sore upper arm, which has stayed sore for 3 1/2 months and remains sore to the touch.  About three weeks after the shot, I was unable to lift my arms above my head, and had severe shoulder pain.  I am now in physical therapy, and have been referred to an orthopedist for an appt. in 2 weeks.  I cannot have an MRI because I have metal in my body, so I do not know if they will ever find out what went wrong.  I never had shoulder pain prior to this flu shot, and I have had flu shots every year without these problems. I''d be glad to receive any suggestions as to what might relieve this on-going pain and physical limitation.
Sweetiepie2
I received the flu shot on October 1, 2008 and have been in pain ever since.  The nurse put it way to high and it hurt so bad.  I have had an MRI and it showed fluid, so my doctor said put ice and heat and take ibuprofen.  3 visits and 9 months later he referred me to a Orthopedics.  In which found on that same MRI a lipoma!!  I am still hurting everyday and now do not know if this injury to a bone or what caused this lipoma!  I am limited also for physical activities or am paying for it for days to weeks after!  They are trying to see if this shot can cause the lipoma!  I know it caused all the pain.  Unfortunately we do not know enough about the causes of lipomas.

Thanks for more insight!
I to recieved the flu shot 3 weeks ago and am in terrible pain in my left shoulder. It hurt really bad when the guy at walgreens gave it to me. I have never had a shot hurt so bad and it has made my arm painful to raise. I can hardly sleep at night. I hate to hear how long some have hurt with this. I went to an ortho specialist in shoulders and he gave me pain pills and said come back in 3 weeks. the x-ray showed nothing. I can't believe something so painful doesn't show up. I was fine before this shot. I am hurting day and night and no one knows what is causeing it. It had to be related to the shot, I was fine before it and the pain came immediately after it. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know, I am miserable. I am 52 and feel like I am 80!
I just had a flu shot on Sept. 22, 3 weeks ago. My arm was pretty sore for the next couple of days, then seemed to be getting better, then all of a sudden got worse and gets worse each day. Went to the Dr. today and was put on Medrol (steriods) and pain med. Also had x-rays done. Suppose to go back on Friday if not better, have a feeling it won't be. It is so strange how it keeps getting worse, can't sleep at night and like what other have said cannot remove my shirts without horrible pain. I have had flu shots all my life and never experienced this. Went to Walgreens b/c ins. was offering 5.00 flu shots there, thought why not, now it is costing be a bundle. Doubt I will ever have one again.
I received the flu shot on Oct 9, 2009, at Walgreen's, and I'm totally alarmed by this thread if this is what I have to look forward to.....as many have posted, I thought the shot was given too high up, and I'm concerned that he hit some area of my joint and NOT my muscle...

The pain comes and goes, and seems to be exacerbated by sleeping in certain positions.  So far driving is the worst--lifting my arm in front of me!!  (It's ok if I use my other arm to put the affected arm on the steering wheel.....)

Anyway, I still believe in the good of flu shots, but if they can't locate a meaty-enough spot to administer it in in my arm (and people, I am normal sized so there should have been enough meat!), then I seriously might consider asking for it in the glutes next time.....
I had a flu shot a week ago and it still hurts in my arm and into my shoulder.  I have called the doctor's office twice and they say to watch it and take Tylenol.  I will think twice about ever getting a flu shot again.
It has been almost two months since I had my flu shot on Sept.3rd.  Like everyone else the nurse gave it very high up in my shoulder and it felt bad when she gave it.  My pain is exactly the same as everyone elses.  Bad shoulder pan, can't sleep at night etc... I had an MRI which showed severe inflammation and it says bursitis and tendonitis. I also had never had any shoulder problems.  They put me in physical therapy and it is not helping.  Has anyone tried Physical Therapy?  What helps??? I can't take it anymore.
All my pains are just like everyone else on here.....The guy who gave me my shot...placed it so high on my bloody arm. Now I am in pain city. This was especially very concerning to me because I am a breast cancer survivor and I was scared that my breast cancer had spread to my bones....very scarey.
I feel a little better after reading this forum! I had an x ray at the orthopedic last week and it was clean....oh but how the pain still hurts and now I have to have a bone scan very $$$$ due to my medical history. This shot is going to end up costing me $$$$$$$$$$ and pain!
I received a seasonal flu shot high on my arm on October 8th.  Experienced the sort of pain people here are describing, then a lessening of pain, and then a return of severe pain.

Doctor diagnosed bursitis that is not related to the flu shot.  The pain is in my non-dominant arm, so there's nothing that I do everyday that would cause a repetitive motion injury like bursistis.  

I am taking perscription anti-inflammatory drugs, which lessens the pain to minimal.  I am back to putting on my own shirts!!  However, a stoppage of the drugs brings the pain back to severe.

Going to orthopedic doctor on November 3 for MRI and XRays.  Hopefully we'll figure out how to take care of this situation.

No more flu shots for me ever again.
Same here ---
Flu shot two months ago.
Pain in my left shoulder.
Fairly severe.  
Went away then came back with a vengence.

Any idea how long this will go on?

I think it's time for class action law suit.  My wife and I both have had extraordinary pain in our shoulders since the flu shot.  I along with all the other folks who have posted need to take action.  I am contacting my lawyer to see what we can do about this.
I had the flu shot yesterday, and the woman was incredibly rough when she gave it - I told my boyfriend that night that she did it quick and had momentum!  It was also much higher than she expected because she kept placing the band aid too low (its about an inch away from where the shoulder starts to curve).  I had my first flu shot last year, and had NO PAIN beyond a normal shot (and I believe it was also a good 3 inches lower).  This year, it hurt when she injected it and I got the normal bruised shoulder within hours.  I had trouble sleeping last night, and now it feels like the pain is DIRECTLY into my muscle.  It isn't like the pain from a shot where it is a bruised discomfort, it feels DEEP.  I had a car accident in 2003 that felt like this, but no MRI could prove damage back then.  The pain has been gone for over two years now, but this shot is the EXACT type of pain I had after a rollover car accident as far as my shoulder is concerned.  I am dreading having to heal this up again because of a FLU SHOT.
I thought I would type very quickly how it has progressed in my case.  Hopefully I can post again so people perhaps know what to expect.

-Immediate pain during injection.  Shoulder feeling bruised immediately following.
-Within hours, having a normal bruised pain in the shoulder.  Not expecting anything beyond this for a few days.
-First night: don't want to lay on the side that hurts.  Roll around a lot avoiding the site.
-The next day feels like I would expect from a normal shot which is a continued, perhaps slightly worse, bruised pain.
-By night, having trouble taking off my shirt.  Start pressing around my shoulder, it now feels like its in the muscle on the backside of the armpit.  Stick your opposite hand in your armpit, then press just a little farther towards your back.  That muscle hurts.  Am now babying the arm and it hurts to move the shoulder.  If you put your arms to your side, then lift your arm straight outwards, that KILLS me.
I'm a physician and have been getting the flu shot for years. I usually have some mild pain in the arm for a day or two and occasionally have had to take tylenol for pain relief- so nothing out of the ordinary. However, this year the pain lasted for about 6 weeks and I developed bursitis/frozen shoulder. After icing, doing stretches for frozen shoulder, and anti-inflammatory meds, it is just getting better... In retrospect I realized the RN who gave me the shot placed it too high and too anteriorly. I am small framed/thin and perhaps this contributed to the problem as well... Of course, now I had to get the H1N1 shot as well and ended up with it in the same non-dominant arm (as I really need my dominant arm to actually do my work and didn't want to risk injury to that shoulder). I had a different RN do it and ensured that placement was appropriate. So far I have had no pain....  
I had a flu shot a month ago from CVS Minute Clinic in Virginia. The nurse gave the shot way to high up on my arm. I finally had an MRI done and the Orthopedic Specialist says that the flu shot caused inflammation of one of the tendons in my rotator cuff which then led to shoulder impingment syndrome b/c the tendon is so inflammed from the shot. I got a cortizone injection today, which i really did not like the idea of since it was a SHOT in the same are, but i'm hoping it will lessen the pain and that i can use my arm like normal again with no pain. I have to go to physical therapy starting in a couple weeks for a month (two days a week). I wish CVS had just given me the flu instead. That would have been much easier, and much cheaper to deal with !!! I hate CVS!!
I was sick (unconnected) immediately following my flu jab and totally forgot all about it.  The injection itself had not hurt at all.  However, exactly one week later I noticed the shoulder was aching and it has got progressively worse in the 2 weeks since.  Lifting, twisting and raising the arm are all a problem and I am certain it's a result of the flu jab.  Having read this thread now, I think it's time for a visit to the doctor.
I recieved my flu shot on 10-2-09. I did not feel the shot at the time it was given. Within a couple of hours the injection site started hurting. I really thought nothing of it since I have recieved flu shots in the past I was aware I was going to have some discomfort. Little did I know what this last several weeks had in store for me. My arm at the injection site throbs most of the time sometimes severly, the pain is worsening with each passing day and is now into my shoulder radiating into my neck. I cannot sleep on my right side. The injection was given in the right arm. I have found a little relief by not sleeping on that side. Lastnight the pain so was severe it woke me up and I felt as though I wanted to vomit. I took a pain pill and applied a heating pad. I then was able to rest for a couple of hours. I did see my dr. over a week ago. He felt it was a muscle inflamtion and prescribed a patch to wear on the injection site. It provided no relief and I am now worse than when I went to the dr. I also went to my chiropractor and he feels it is a nerve issue. I got an adjustment and I hoped it would help with the neck pain but it did not. Today I am going to call my dr. back and request an MRI be done and ask for some pain medication. Ibuprofren or tylenol does not help at all. I am very upset about this. I am so happy to find this site and know that I am not alone but at the same time I am very saddened to know that so many of us are suffering. There has got to be an answer out there somewhere.Please all of you keep posting if you find anwers and I will do the same. Best Wishes to all you! I just want my life back. I will NEVER get another flu shot again ever! I will post as soon as I know something more from my dr.
I (65y/o), my wife (64 y/o), my daughter (40 y/o) and my two young workers recieved the seasonal flu shot about a month ago. None of us  experienced absolutely NO SIDE EFFECTS. Maybe we are just lucky. I am a public health professional and have organized & conducted numerous immunization programs. I hope those of you that have had these painful experiences are the exception.

troytroy
I am 45 years old and I have recieved the flu shot with no problems for the past 5 years until now. The agency I work for recenty had an H1N1 vaccination available and I refused to take it. I do know that situations like this are rare and I am so thankful for that. But it still does not diminish the fact that many of us suffering as a result of this shot and from the posts I have read the symptoms are all very much the same. I have a phone call into my dr. I am more than ready to have an MRI done at this point. I feel I also must add I do know for a fact this is a result of the flu shot because I had no problems what so ever until the day of the shot.
Please accept my apology if I came across as minimizing or being insensitive to your your pain. I know there have been some recent reports that a batch of the GSK H1N1 vaccine has resulted in unusual side effects in some people, resulting in that particular batch of vaccine being recalled.  

I really do hope that your doctor cab find a solution to your discomfort and things work out well for you and others suffering pain.

troytroy
No I did not feel you were insensitive in any way.Thanks for posting though. This is just such a bizzare situation I am finding myself in and all because of a flu shot.I am scheduled for an x-ray of my arm and an MRI next week. My Dr. has prescribed pain medication to use in the mean time. The pain I am in starts at the site of the injection. It is a deep throbbing pain that at times will be severe sharp pains. The pain is worsening with each passing day and now is radiating into my shoulder and my neck area. Unfortunately this is my right arm so its effecting every aspect of my life. I can no longer sleep on my right side and I have to use extreme caution picking up something or moving it in a paticular way. I sincerely hope others will post if they have found any anwers and I will do the same. Hang in there all who are in pain your not alone in this!
I too am experiencing incredible pain after getting the seasonal flu shot this fall. I am a very active person but the radiating pain I am experiencing is affecting me 24/7!
I have gotten flu shots every year and I have always experienced soreness that has gone away in a few days. This time the pain is constant and is radiating to my shoulder and neck. I see my Internal Med doc regularly due to type 2 diabetes which is under control and her answer to my pain complaint is that the needle must have hit a nerve. I am having some success treating this pain with two books about Trigger Point therapy. The author's last name is Davies...not sure about promos here but I am a believer that some pain can radiate and make other parts of the body hurt. I read all of the entries on this thread and a lot of people are experincing pain that is extending the length of their arms to their fingers and up in their shoulders too. One of the books I am working with is about frozen shoulder pain. It a huge commitment to self treat but I think it is the way to go for me. I am also learning to change my body mechanics and to approach things  differently due to this new pain in my left arm. I am having trouble dressing too and pullovers are not working for me now. I am totally convinced that the flu shot caused this pain and now I have to figure out how to treat it myself. I am also changing how I approach everything from driving my car to throwing hay to my horses! More elbow support in my car by moving the seat closer to the steering wheel and I walk the hay into the horses stalls instead of tossing it in to them!  Good luck to all. Glad I found this forum so I know that I am not alone!
I have had the same pain as everyone else here. I actually knew when it started and what it was related to before I ever did the search to find this forum. In fact, the key words were flu shot shoulder pain. I never have this kind of pain and never had a flu shot before. Never again. While my should doesn't feel better, I feel better knowing that I'm not crazy thinking that this might be the problem. I also started taking prescription anti-inflammatory meds that I had around the house and they were of minimal help. I live near some warm ponds so I've tried swimming/floating and that helped a bit. So, the one question I didn't really see answered here was exactly how long I could expect this to continue? I've seen that it comes and goes, I've seen six weeks. Anyone else care to pipe in on the longest that it might last? Are there permanent issues?
I got my flu shot on Oct 22, 2009 on left arm, on Oct 29, 2009 I awoke with severe pain, swelling and stiffness  in both hands and feet, unable to walk or use hands, went to er, since I have Lupus they said I was having a "lupus flare-up". saw reumatologist, not lupus, he ordered emg and extensive blood work and xray of neck, all normal, was prescribed steriods, narcotics, anti inflamatory meds, the pain radiated up my arms, unable to care for myself, dr's insist this has nothing to do with flu shot and all tests are normal, I was perfectly well before the shot, any idea what could have happened to me?
I have been posting here and I am like alot of you I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone and not crazy. I recieved the flu shot on 10-2-09 and I am still experiencing shoulder pain. It is at the injection site and goes deep feels like it is to the bone. This pain also radiates to my shoulder and neck area. I had an x-ray done which showed nothing.My Dr. now advises and MRI. He feels it is a nerve issue that possibly the needle hit a nerve. I am happy to report that the pain is very very slowly getting better. It has gone from severe to moderate. Of course I have a very high pain tolerance so I am sure my scale of pain will differ from others. So, at this time I have opted to give it some more time before having an MRI. Its a wait and see thing for me right now. I do however still have sharp pains every so often and I hope that eases as well. A good friend of mine who is an RN told me the shot was given to low. Maybe that is the cause. Please everyone keep posting and reporting how you are doing. I know that I will never get another flu shot but its a personal choice that everyone has to make on their own. Good Luck to all of you!
I'm 52, received my seaonal flu shot on Oct. 29 at Walmart sponsored by Mollen Clinics and am still having severe pain from it, 24/7. When I contacted Mollen Clinic, they never responded back to my inquiry. I'm not sure if the nurse injected me too high or too low on the shoulder and also thimerosol (vaccine preservative) could have played a part in this. I was assured it was considered by the manufacturer to be "thimerosol free" as I am allergic to it, but it was not 100% free. It sounds like my shoulder bones are knocking against each other as if the bursa is no longer there creating a cushion for my shoulder joint. I have an appointment to see the doctor in a week, but I will have to pay for this and I'm not at all happy because I didn't have any shoulder problems before. Shouldn't we be reporting this reaction to the manufacturer??
Well, I too am a person that is having shoulder pain from the flu shot.
I am so glad that I found this site.  I had my shot in Oct 2009 and
started the pain a few weeks later.  The night pain is horrible.  It wakes me up and I can't go back to sleep.  Will this ever end.  I will
never have the flu shot again.
okay.... all the same symptons too.  i had the shot on a monday by saturnday night i started with such sharp piercing pain... shooting up my arm to the site of injection.  since saturday it has hurt everyday,  what is up with this.  I have read each and everyones blog and would like to know why this is happening.  does anyone have any answers.
i thought i was stroking out at first.  that is how badly it hurt.
It's been about 2 months since I received my flu shot, which didn't really hurt any more than the many others I've had over the years.  Within about a week, the soreness migrated from the injection site to the actual shoulder joint.  At this point, any motion that involves abduction or raising of my right arm is incredibly painful, sometimes impossible.  The pain is worse at night, although I'm glad to report it has not (yet) affected my sleep.  As of the past couple of weeks, the pain now seems to be radiating into the right side of my neck.  I plan to go to my chiropractor/accupuncturist for this, but I'm not looking forward to the judgmental "I told you so," since he's anti-flu-shot.  I guess I now understand why he maintains such a firm stance!
I got my seasonal flu shot in September and had no problems or side-effects. I recieved my H1N1 swine flu shot a week ago and did not suffer any soreness or anything else. Considering the comments of other who have posted on this subject and experienced paiful side effects I am beginning to believe that some individuals can take flu shots with little or no problems, while other individuals will have pain and other side effect issues.

I guess we will have to decide if getting the shot and preventing flu is more or less important than possible side effects. I wish all of you the best and relief from your pain & discomfort.

troytroy

I found this forum after doing a search on flu shot/shoulder pain as well. I got a seasonal flu shot, administered by one of our pharmacists and it was administered properly. I am a healthcare professional and have taken flu shots my entire life. I usually experience a little discomfort at the injection site, but nothing like this. My lab partner and I received our flu shots on Septmber 23rd and had soreness the next day so bad that we could hardly perform our job duties. (he is 39 and I am 52 and we are both in pain) Two months later, I consulted with my PCP and he felt that my shoulder pain was not related to the shot. He prescribed a pain pill and muscle relaxer and said it was a bad case of muscle spasms. I know that he is wrong. I finally have an appointment to see the orthopedic doctor on Tuesday, 12/22/09 and I plan to take this forum and make him read it and then tell me it isn't related to the flu shot. I was fine and have never had any type of bone or joint pain in my life. I am a healthy 52 year old who led a very busy life before this terrible experience. The pain is so severe that I need help dressing and sleeping is very difficult. I have not been able to sleep on my left side for over 2 months and it seems the pain gets worse every day. It feels like frozen shoulder/bursitis. It appears that we all have the same complaint, but has anyone found relief?? Also, I am in Texas. Not sure that has any bearing, but I am curious to see if demographics are in any way relative. I will post the Orthopedic doctor's diagnosis and treatment,
Wow Wow Wow, I really thought I was crazy and after receiving the H1N1 for my work and having the pain I now believe the two are related.  I didn't think anything of my shoulder pain last year after receiving the seasonal flu shot along with the whooping cough shot, but after the H1N1 shot this year I started linking the two and something is wrong, someone is not telling us something.  Here it is and please let me know I am helping someone.  I received the flu shot last year in October 2008, then had minor shoulder pain which turned severe ( I am very very active and do a lot of lifting and have for many many years)  but in December of 2008 the pain became extreme and by Jan. 2009 I made a apt. to see a orthopedic doctor and on to a MRI after two injections to reduce the inflamation (inflammation) failed.  By March of 2009 I was undergoing shoulder ACL surgery and the dr. said I had sever artritis.  Huh at age 45 and no other problems.  I let it go and my internal med dr. could not beleave I had that bad of arthritis.  (neither could I and it happened so fast).   Fast forward to November 2009 and the H1N1 shot i got, now after about 1 and a half months I am having the same pain in the other shoulder ( I made them give me the shot for H1N1 in the left shoulder because of the surgery in March on the right one.)  I am seeing a chripractor and hoping for the best but the pain is the exact same and I am afraid.  I am also afraid others will think I am crazy.  I am contemplating seeing a orthopedic dr. again, but I truly believe it is due to the shots.  I have difficulty putting on my coat, reaching, buckling a seat belt, oh and yeah the night pain kept me a wake so bad that I thought I was experiencing a chest pain, am depressed about it and wanted to die the pain was so intense, that is why I sought chrio. therapy for now.  I am sick about this and when we were given the option in our dental office I wish I would have declined.  The really strange thing is this, I said something to two of the other ladies and they had no problems 3 weeks ago, but guess what today one of the ladies who is one year older informed me she was having severe pain down the arm and in the neck and front shoulder chest area.  I firmly believe it is do to the shot.  Please tell me your story and that I am not crazy for questioning the flu and H1N1 shot.  HELP!!!
I had a flu shot a couple of years ago where I work, a hospital, by an RN, but when she gave the shot all I can say is it felt "creepy", real jab and a half!! and not like the previous two  flu shots I had had in the past. Soon after I developed severe shoulder pain, could barely dress myself, raise my arms, comb my hair, etc.  It lasted approximately six months and then resolved.  I had found an article on the internet confirming that this was flu shot related.  I have not had a flu shot since and will not!  Also haven't had the flu!  Give it time and it should improve.
Reporting back since my first posting about a month ago: I had my seasonal flu shot the first week of Sept 2009. I am still having extreme shoulder and arm pain and even though I get some relief from massaging trigger points of pain in my arms, neck and shoulder-- the relief doesn't last long. I awaken in pain every morning and wake up several times in the night mostly trying to shift into a position that relieves the intense pain in my left shoulder and arm.
I now use small pillows to support my elbows when I drive and I hold my hands at 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock on the steering wheel of my car to reduce the pain that comes from reaching forward.
I see my doctor tomorrow and I am going to ask to be referred to a physical therapist who uses trigger point massage techniques. I also will ask her if I should have an H1N1 shot and which arm I should get it in. Keep it all on my left side or risk having pain in both arms? Crazy stuff. I know that this pain is from that shot last fall but because I have type 2 diabetes I feel I should get the H1N1 shot to protect myself from getting that bug when it re emerges in Spring of 2010. This is very frustrating for all of us and I just want the pain to go away so I can be as active as I was before. Chronic pain really rattles the nerves...I will report back but this pain has now been a constant thing in my life for 4 solid months!
OK, someone needs to find out what it takes to resolve this condition and how long it should take.

Both my wife and I had the regular flu shot on 21 September of this year (2009) and we have the shoulder and neck pain that all of you have described so well above.  Some pain after the flu shot, then it returns after a couple of weeks with much greater severity.

We are 63/62 years old, respectively and have been in good health, active, and our family physician in the US has commented that our health has been so good, we have "good genes."

So the speed of this development is disconcerting and debilitating.  While both of us are hurting, my wife is suffering much more than I. She has pain in her right shoulder, it radiates down her arm and to her right shoulder blade, lifting her arm straight out to the side or pulling up a sheet in bed is excruciating; this has kept her awake at night. She also has neck pain at the base of her skull that radiates out both sides of the neck.  Her neck locks in place; when this first began the pain got worse until she heard/felt some cracking in her neck at the base of the skull.  Turning over in bed is very painful to both her shoulder and the back of her neck.  Ibuprofen, Flex-All Plus, and heat seem to give temporary relief but after 3 months she needs to quit the ibuprofen.  She is starting to experience some reflux from the ibuprofen.

We had the flu shot while visiting our family in the US; we ordinarily live outside the US in a country with socialized health care.  Following up on this will be a challenge.  It would really be helpful to have a time line for resolution, a self-treatment regimen, or at least a name for this condition to discuss it with a local doctor.

Eager for your continued comments!  Thanks!!
I can not believe I found this forum. My doctor, who I have seen twice since my flu shot on October 6th, treats me like I am crazy.  She said to take Ibuprofen and ice the arm.  Well I tried that and would not like to be on Ibuprofen daily.  I am 50 years old, relatively healthy and have not been on medication.  Since this happened, my blood pressure has jumped up and I am on blood pressure medicine daily.  I am also in pain and am limited with my right arm movement.  The pain started the night I received my yearly flu shot.  My doctor said that the nurse gave me the shot too low, rather than what most of you posted as too high, so I gather the pain is from the shot itself, not the way it was administered.  My children were innoculated the same day and when it was my turn, they told me my shot would be different from my children's shots. My kids are 13 to 24. They are not babies.  Anyway, I am thankful this forum was started and I will continue to monitor what might work to eleviate this pain.  I am angry that this happened, but more importantly I would just like it to dissapate.  My limitations include: unable to pony tail up my hair, put on shirts, coats, etc without pain, reach (stretch) the arm for normal activities like getting a bowl from the top shelf of a cabinet, place my arm over the seat in the car to reverse, and sleep on my right side.  These things sound trivial, but they are important aspects of daily functioning.  It seems to be spreading down my arm and back up to my neck.  There are many people worse off than what I am experiencing but I wanted to post and thank you all for bringing back some sanity by letting me know I was not the only one to experience this newfound pain from a yearly flu shot.  Thanks!
Hello my name is misery and I'm thankful for the company. I received my flu shot 10/7/09 and immediately felt that something was wrong...it felt like the bolus of vaccine was huge and burned upon injection.  If my 5 year old wasn't watching my reaction and getting ready to get an injection of his own, I probably would have winced in pain.  His shot was 'painless' and had no side effects.  I'm a Dr. and the injection site seemed fine to me.  My arm was extremely sore (I expected to see a huge bruise, but there wasn't one) for several weeks and then the pain migrated into my shoulder joint and that was the beginning of the end of life as I knew it.  The pain was so intense (similar to what's been described above).  I began a 3 wk. regimen of 800 mg. Ibuprofen every 6-8 hours (good bye kidney function) and felt minimal relief.  My MD was doubtful that the bursitis was secondary to the flu shot, but my orthopedic surgeon said in the 30 yrs. he's been doing this, I'm the 4th person in his practice with the aforementioned complaints this year.  On the day I saw him, my pain was the best/least it had been in months so no further action was taken (X-ray didn't show any inflammation) as I thought I was on the mend.  I've just emailed him back to see if any of his other 3 'flu/shoulder" patients received and benefited from a glucocorticoid shot and if so, sign me up!  Most likely, the bursitis resulted in nerve impingement (hence the tingling/numbness in my arm) and in the process of trying to minimize the pain I'm carrying myself differently which is resulting in my stiff, creaky neck.  sigh---  I, too, am thankful to read your postings...my husband thinks I'm nuts and I was beginning to believe him.    Hope you all find a bit of relief sooner rather than later.  FYI:  my son developed a speech delay @ 15 months of age and speech delay is in the autism disorder spectrum so let's just say I'm extremely cautious with vaccines and I only got the flu vaccine because I'm pregnant and asthmatic (and my son started school), but never again.  I roared at the comment posted above  by the person wishing that CVS gave them the flu instead of the flu vaccine :)  I'll keep you posted once I hear back from my MD.
Don't get the flu shot! I got one yesterday and after a few hours I couldn't lift my left arm at all. I still can't take my shirt off because of the pain. I can only drive with my right arm including hitting the turn signal and trying to put on the seat belt. Because I use my arms for my job it is very scary to think what will happen if this doesn't go away soon. I also got sicker last night than I have been in years. It feels like one of the worst flu's I've ever had.
I got the H1N1 shot during the second week of November.  My arm has been sore ever since.  I can't raise it, I can't lift anything with that arm, it hurts to sleep on that side and my neck is so stiff that it hurts to move it.  My son was injured in hockey and started physio a couple of weeks ago.  I decided to see what his physiotherapist would tell me what is wrong.  Well....I have frozen shoulder and some bursitis.  I have gone to one physio session....and will be going twice a week.  He said it wasn't related to the shot....but I knew it had to be the shot that has caused the pain.  I googled "H1N1 flu shot frozen shoulder"....and this site came up.  I have printed off a couple of pages and am going to show him.  I am also going to go to my family doctor to see what she has to say.  I kept thinking the pain was going to go away....but two months later....it just gets worse.  It scares me that this isn't going to go away.
Hello all,

I had my seasonal flu and H1N1 shots done at the same time just before Thanksgiving.  Flu in the left arm and H1N1 in the right.  Neither shot was painful in the least and didn't bleed or leave marks or bruising of any kind over the following 2 weeks.  Then I woke up one morning and my right shoulder blade felt like I had slept wrong or something and it got progressively worse over the next few weeks - eventually leading me to a Dr's visit.  It felt like I had a ball of muscle cramped up under my shoulder blade and while it wasn't exactly agony, it was annoying!  Flexorils and Naproxen helped a little and I would grind my shoulder blade into a door frame to "massage" the area... and it completely vanished after a week or so...  and two days later my right shoulder started to ache - which got worse and worse.  I went to an orthopedic Dr and got an X-ray which was fine - no dislocation, bone abnormalities, bone swelling, nothing.  He gave me what looked like a very large cortisone shot right into the joint and told me that it could take the pain away immediately but if it didn't to wait 3 weeks and then come back for an MRI....  2 days later my shoulder hurt so bad I immediately called and scheduled the MRI which was this morning.  Laying on that MRI was the most painful thing I have ever experienced due to some ridge that was pushing right up against and across my shoulderblade - 5 minutes and I was ready to scream!!!  I am so desperate to find the cause and a treatment that I beared with that agony for 38 minutes with tears streaming down my face and holding my breath and trying so hard to be still to make sure the pictures would be good.  My shoulder hurt so bad yesterday that when I got home I doubled up on the 500mg Naproxen and was finally able to back the pain down to a dull roar.  I haven't been able to sleep on my right side now for over a month and the pain is usually at its worst when I first wake up.  I drive a stick shift with no arm support and it is no fun driving at all with this.  I have the full range of movement and no loss of strength at all in my right shoulder - it doesn't hurt any more or less when I move my arm in any certain way...  it just constantly aches with a pain level at around 8.5 out of 10...  I'm starting to get desperate.  I have never had a flu shot before and my immune system is second to none - but because I work for the largest healthcare provider in the state of Maryland and of the recent deaths from H1N1 I thought it couldn't hurt - after all, I got so many shots while in the USMC and never had a problem - boy does it suck to be WRONG!!!  I'm 42 and in excellent health and have never had any medical problems in my adult life aside from an occasional migraine.  I don't catch colds.  I go to the doctor about once every 5 years just to make sure I stay on their computers.  I have an MRI followup appointment with my orthopedic Dr tomorrow morning and I'm going to lay into him exactly what it is that I am feeling - like I have a 6 inch spiked nest of angry hornets that have taken up residence in my shoulder joint and are stinging and eating me from the inside out!!! I'm just praying to God that the MRI shows SOMETHING that will get me a treatment regimen that will make this GO AWAY!!!  I'm losing my mind!!  Both shots were done at the same position on my arm - and my left arm continues to feel fine (knock on wood)  I don't get it!  Of course if I even mention that I had the H1N1 shot on that arm just prior to the start of the pain I get the "doe in the headlights - you're a freaking idiot" look and have the front row seats to the "Nurse, my patient is a nut case so have the straight jacket handy" eye roll routine that I'm really starting to get tired of....  I'll let everyone know what the ortho says tomorrow and what the MRI shows....  I'm thinking I might have septic arthritus or an autoimmune reaction (or both!)...  hopefully I'll see tomorrow.

Good Luck everyone with your pain and hope relief is found for all
I was driving home through mad LA traffic trying to figure out what the heck I did to my shoulder, and I figured it out.... I had my flu shot on Monday.  There is absolutely no other explanation, but it's the same exact thing- throbbing achey (achy) pain all around my shoulder joint.  My deltoid, where the injection was, is fine, but my lats and up through my neck on that side are KILLER!  I had the H1N1 shot on my other arm, and that one is fine, it's just the side where I had the seasonal shot.

This is my first (and last) flu shot ever.  I've been in class all day every day for the past 3 days, and I know I haven't injured it in any way.

This *****.
I posted last November. I had the shot in late September. It's now January and I am still having shoulder pain at night. Luckily, ibuprofin helps just enough to where I can sleep, and it seems to help for a few days. Perhaps a strong anti-inflammatory would help. I've considered seeing a naturopath, as I'm not so trusting of Western medicine after this. I was healthy and happy when I went in, and I've been miserable ever since. If I'd gotten the flu it would have been gone in a week. It would be certainly been better than these months of annoying pain. If anyone has found a solution please post it. Accupuncture perhaps? I know there are natural therapies to draw out toxins. I'm kind of reaching here... So, I'm open to suggestions. I read in another forum on this site where it goes away after 6 months. 6 weeks to go if that's true.
Hi to all. I am following up with info about the treatment I am getting to help me fix my painful shoulder, arm and neck and part of my back now. My doctor believed me when I told her that the seasonal flu shot caused my shoulder pain and that it has kept me in severe pain for the past 4 months. She said no H1N1 shot at this time and sent me to physical therapy with a diagnosis of "Frozen Shoulder" She said that the shot was the catalyst that morphed into this condition. I started PT a couple of weeks ago and have gone 5 times. I am going 2 times per week. I started getting some pain relief by the 3rd visit and more range of motion by the 4th and 5th session. The first 2 visits left me in pain for days and feeling sick to my stomach. It was tough at first. They are doing deep trigger point massage (ouch) in my neck, shoulders and along my clavicle and in the pectoral muscles. My therapist said frozen shoulder is complicated to treat as the shoulder is rather a complex part of our bodies. They are also using electrical stimulation and ice on my shoulder and this feels wonderful.
Here is the best thing I can share to ease pain at night when you are trying to sleep:
take a pillow that is not too fluffy and shove it into your armpit of the sore shoulder and drape your arm along the pillow. You will get instant pain relief especially for you back sleepers. If you sleep on your side of the non hurting shoulder, use a pillow drapped along your hip and under your arm on your sore side to support your shoulder. Your sore shoulder droops down as you sleep on your side and without support the pain is unbearable and that is what was waking me up many times per night. I also use a small pillow to support my arm while I drive. The pillow is about 13 inches long and 6 inches wide. I think larger pillows might interfere with driving safely.
I am hopeful that I will continue to make progress....I want to be able to be as active as I used to be....riding my horse, raking leaves, pruning and gardening. One of the things that bugs me about all of this is how much it is costing all of us to have these extra appointments and scans and therapies....lots of dollars from all of these flu shots gone amok! I will check back and give updates....try the pillow at night and also watch your body mechanics and don't reach behind yourself like I have done for years to grab my seat belt with my left hand....I reach over with my right hand now....
Good luck and keep on posting!
Seasonal flu vaccine on Dec. 1, 2009.  Immediate aching which progressed to debilitating pain within a week.  I'm an RN and the injection was given at the hospital in which I'm employed.  There are at least 4 other reported cases with identical complaints in my workplace.  I imagine there are many who have not made the connection between the pain and flu vaccine.  
Relief from a Medrol dose pack lasted only as long as I was taking it.  Two weeks later, I had a cortisone injection into the joint which has provided significant relief.  I still experience some pain with stretching and pulling, putting on and removing clothing.  The orthopaedic surgeon diagnosed it as inflammation of the rotator cuff (impingement), but it's unknown if the cause was incorrect placement of the injection or something in the vaccine itself that caused a reaction.  I felt that the injection was given too high, and so did others who received theirs at the same time.  I had the H1N1 vaccine in October, and have had flu shots every year prior to this, and have never experienced any problems until this.  I would prefer 3 days of the flu to the 7 weeks of intense pain, lack of sleep, concern over if and when there would be any pain relief, and physical limitations.
Tomorrow will be my 5th month of misery.  I have had 2 cortisone shots, 2 bouts of physical therapy, I have been to 3 different doctors. I have had acupuncture 2 times, and have tried many vitamin supplements.  I keep reading this forum and hope someone has found something that works.  My original post was on Oct. 24th ,if you want to read my story.  I have also been on anti-inflammatory medicine for about 4 months.  I am praying that this goes away.
You and I are on the exact same time frame in terms of when we got our shots. I am entering my 6th month of pain. I am currently in PT and while it seems to help I am getting impatient to be "cured". I have had a couple of major setbacks where I have over stretched my injured shoulder and lost some range of motion that I was getting back from PT 2X/week. I also started waking up a couple of times at night again and so with the nearly constant pain and interupted sleep I am rather cranky. My PT says I am getting better slowly. Instead of stopping all activities like I did for 4 months, I am doing more stuff..cleaning horse stalls, raking leaves, planting shrubs etc. I figure that it hurts regardless of what I am doing so I might as well try to be my old active self.
I have recently learned that 30% of diabetics get frozen shoulder but medical peeps are not sure why....I am type 2 with it  under pretty good control but I must admit this is discouraging. Also I have read that it is pretty common for "frozen shoulder" to be in first one shoulder and then go into the other shoulder...I am not planning to go there but this is a very discouraging condition. I still am convinced that the flu shot set everything in motion for this mess. I am trying to maintain a sunny positive outlook but this is a day to day challenge. I am now hoping that it will simply stop hurting soon as I recall one poster said that it runs its course in about 6 months...Ok I am there and I am ready to be done.....take care all and please keep posting  about your progress to this forum.
I had the H1N1 vaccination mid to late January.  Nothing amiss with the shot and the site was red and sore for a few days which to me is also not amiss.

Approx two weeks ago my shoulder was suddenly very sore.  I cannot abduct my arm past 90 degrees.  It has taken me a while to realize it is related to the flu shot as I sleep on my right side and sometimes my posture when using the mouse at the computer is bad.

I will be going to the doctor to see if he can help.  It doesnt seem to be getting worse but is not getting better.  I cannot push trolleys and even pulling mychilds sheets up the other nite I had to pull my arm back to my body in pain.

I have no other underlying medical conditions and well I wasnt going to have this particular vaccination, so am understandably annoyed.
Hi Cubster,

Sorry to hear about your strange and bothersome shoulder pain. I will be very interested to hear if it is related to the vaccine as you suspect.

Please let us know what you discover.

Hope you will soon be feeling better.

~Tuck~
Wow, unreal that I found this online forum.  Relieved to know that I am not crazy!

Same story here:
>43 yr old active, healthy female with NO history of shoulder problems/pain
> Have rec'd flu shots for 10 years without incident
> Seasonal flu shot in Sept 2009
> I felt at the time of injection that she shot me too high in the arm and it was more painful than usual.  I was seated in a regular chair (not the exam table) and she was standing over me.  So, her angle was bad and she was (as usual) in a hurry to get it done and get me out (ie. she had one proverbial foot out the door).
> From that moment onward, my should pain was extremely bad and much worse than normal "post-flu shot" soreness.
> Pain is bad when reaching behind my back, over my head and out to my side (when lifting something as small as a milk jug); and I can't lay or sleep on that shoulder
> In Jan 2010, my primary doc diagnosed me with impingement syndrome
> 2 weeks of hi-dose anti-inflammatories followed by 2 months of physical therapy *has not* resulted in one bit of improvement in pain or range of motion
> Headed for cortisone shot next

If I had a job that required regular use of my shoulder, I would be OUT OF WORK.  And lifting my 2 yr old every day is no treat.

All from a ridiculous flu shot that I felt compelled to get due to scare tactics utilized by the media.  

This *****!
Hi Tillsey,

Yes complications may arise from any IM or SQ injection. You are not crazy. But they are very rare and the risks out weight the benefits. Of course that is if you are not in that very small percentage of complications. I have never heard of nerve entrapment caused by an injection. Nerve damage, inflammation and pain can occur but actual nerve entrapment (a pinched nerve) must be extremely rare.

I do not mean to minimize the pain and suffering that anyone experiences from vaccines or any other injection(s). Some years ago I had a MVA. I received IM injections round the clock for over three months in my outer aspect of my thighs. The injections damaged my tissues and some of the muscle. The area were completely numb and without feeling for several years following repeated injections into them. They were painful at times. It was not know it they would return to normal but for the most part they did.

Most Vaccines should be given via the intramuscular (IM) route into the deltoid or the anterolateral aspect of the thigh. IM deltoid injections are to be given "high" if given correctly. 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) below the bottom of the acromion process. Influenza vaccines must be injected into this area of the deltoid muscle to receive the most benefit from the vaccine.

Complications of IM injections are very rare. In one study the actual rate was 0.4% which accounted for all complications including the most likely, muscle or tissue problems. Other studies concluded with very similar results.

In my opinion when one is deciding if they will receive a vaccine or any other injection it should be based on risk vs benefit. It's an individual choice. However it is also my belief that the actual injection process should be one of the least important factors in your decision process.

For my former colleague that lost her healthy child to the H1N1 I am sure she would have suffered most any vaccine complication to have kept her child on earth. I know that she would say the benefits out weight the risks.

Being in a "hurry" is never the proper way to give injections. After years of being in the medical profession both on the giving and receiving end I always tell the practitioner to take her/his time and do it right. It's just a tip I have learned.  

Peace,
~Tuck~
.
Thank you for taking the time to personally respond to my post, Tuck.
I very much appreciate the information and insight that you provided.

Being a relatively "young" person to be dealing with chronic joint pain, I suppose that my frustrations and emotions are clouding my judgment about the risk/benefit analysis of a flu shot.  As a mother myself, I do indeed feel deeply for any parent that has lost a child due to such a preventable illness as influenza.  I had both of my children immunized for H1N1 and seasonal flu for this current flu season.

Just to clarify a couple of points: my immunization was for the seasonal flu, not H1N1.  With the very low likelihood of a person of my age and good health being hospitalized or developing complications from influenza, I would much rather have suffered a week of flu over the chronic pain I am in now.  I have no idea how long my shoulder pain will last -- months, years?  

Also, I was not diagnosed with 'nerve entrapment' but 'shoulder impingement'.  My bursa is inflammed, and during normal arm rotation movements, the acronium (spelling?) bone that hovers over the bursa presses/impinges downward onto the inflammed/painful bursa causing pain.  Even with a PhD in Biochemistry, I don't pretend to understand exactly how the injection caused an inflammed bursa ~ Was it a physical injury by the needle or a more biochemically-based inflammation from the injected solution.....not sure?   But, either way, I am *absolutely* positive it was caused by the injection.  I had never in my life (even while playing years of overhand sports as a younger person) had a single shoulder problem or any pain ~ and this pain started *immediately* after the injection and progressively became worse from that point onward.

I do know one thing -- If my shoulder pain still exists at the start of next flu season, there is no way I will have another injection in either arm. I may opt for the nasal spray, if available.

Thanks again Tuck.  Enjoy Wisconsin's winter splendor!
Tillsey
You're welcome Tilsey. I am so sorry that you and so many others are suffering from the injection of the vaccine(s). In the past I have never gotten the "flu shot." Back when I was a new nurse the vaccines were a live virus. I got the "flu" every time I received the vaccine so I refused them. They are no longer a live virus and because I am a caregiver for my terminally ill father I took the vaccine this year. I am happy to report that luckily I have had no ill effects.  

I do not anticipate receiving it again. I have many concerns about the vaccines even though I know the percentage of compilations are very minute. just read this thread.

I do beleive that much depends on the skill of the person administering the injection. In my opinion sometimes the busy nurse (or other technician) has given so many injections over the course of several days that they are not as conscientious as they should be.....and problems arise. To a lessor degree I beleive it is just the way our bodies react on that given day.

And Wisconsin is a unique state with breathtakingly beautiful seasons. But you can only take "breathtakingly beautiful" winters for so long before you realize sunshine and warmth is a much better alternative. God willing this is our last winter in the frozen tundra. Our destination is the sunshine state of FL.

~Tuck~
Have been to the doctor and he says it is in no way related to the flu vaccine.  He says that I have supraspinata tendonitis and that is from a repetitive action.

He wants me to have an ultrasound and Im just taking some anti inflammatories.  The arm is no better, no worse.

Hope others are feeling better

Add one more sufferer to the list. My situation and symptoms are exactly the same as others posting here. I found this site by searching the internet for “flu shot shoulder pain”. There is no doubt about the fact that the flu shot (not H1N1) I received in Feb 2010 caused the pain I am experiencing. It started immediately after I received the shot and has only gotten worse over the last month. I am a 39 year old male in excellent health with a slim athletic build and no history of joint pain what so ever. The nurse who administered my shot was new and nervous and she hit me much higher on the shoulder than previous flu shots I have received. It felt odd at the time and she even commented on how the syringe did not “do what it normally does” – whatever that means. I am sorry to hear there are so many others out there going through this. It really is life altering. I can no longer sleep on my left side and my wife and I have even discussed switching sides of the bed so I can cuddle with her again. I have not yet sought treatment but will have to soon as it is impairing my ability to dress, drive, etc. It is discouraging to hear of the limited success other have had with treatment. This is, without a doubt, my last vaccination of any kind - ever!!!
Thanks for the update. I do think that some times this happens. I think a unknown previous injury or a weakened shoulder "waiting" to flare can do so shortly after an injection. I can't say that the injection makes the problem more apparent or pushes it closer to a "problem" than it would have been....but it may be a possibility.

Please let us know how the tests turn out. We'll look forward to your updates.

Peace,
~Tuck~
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with an injection.

In my opinion it was not the injection or the vaccine, it was the practitioner's lack of skill and experience. She obviously didn't know what she was doing. Another factor could have been that she did not take her time.  

Whatever the cause please don't let one bad experience stop you from getting a needed injection. I have given hundreds of injections, maybe a thousand or more and have never had a complaint or an incident. Please just be sure that the nurse or practitioner is skilled.  

Peace,
~Tuck~
In the past I had the flu shot injected into my left arm until I started having problems.  In '08 I had the shot injected into my right arm.  In Dec. '09 I was in ER because my arm hurt so bad - all tests came back good.  I like many of you have trouble raising my arm, dressing etc.  I went to an Orthopedic Dr. and have been in therapy for 4 weeks and it seemed to be getting better until this past weekend.  I was told today that I need 4 more weeks of therapy.  I told my Dr. and my therapist that I believed it was from the flu shot. . .and then I found this page.  Guess I'm not the only one!!!!!  I am being treated for muscle entrapment and inflammation.
Thanks for shairng Carolannie.

I am sorry that you are having such painful problems. I hope you will soon be feeling better.

~Tuck~
Well I am not completely healed but I stopped Physical therapy 2 weeks ago and can move my arm!
The pain is minimal and I have better range of motion. I still believe the seasonal flu shot was the catalyst for this half of a year of crippling pain. I will ask to have future shots given to me IM at the hip/buttocks as I can't bear to have this level of arm pain ever again.
The PT said I have 'frozen shoulder" which can take 6 months to 18 months to heal.
Hope all other posters are improving.....and I will always believe that the flu shot I had Sept. 2, 2009 caused this problem for me.
I had the H1N1 vaccination in Dec last year and immediately had arm pain. I carried on working as an EMT which is physically demanding work. The pain gradually got worse over christmas and my range of movement was reduced. By January I was no longer able to do my job. I was also getting woken several times in the night with acute pain. My Doctor thought it was the start of frozen shoulder and referred me to physiotherapy. The pain was initially managed with acupuncture. However I am now on High dose NSAIDs and Tramadol at night. I have also been given an appointment with The orthopaedic surgeon in April with a view to getting an MRI scan. I truly believe that this is a direct result of the IM injection and hopefully the scan will prove it. I
Reading everyones comments today has helped me so much.  I can sympathise  with you all and it is very reassuring to know I am not alone on those long nights when all I can do is pace the floor in pain. I was a very fit and active person till this happened and all I want now is to live without the pain, get my job and my old life back.
I had my flu jab on 30/9/09 and have been in agony ever since. I thought maybe it was because the doctor did it and round here they don't seem to have the same expertise as nurses when giving jabs. Have had jabs before owing to type 2 diabetes so wasn't too worried about this but boy this is bloody awful! I can't sleep on that side, can't undress unaided, can't lift my arm. I try not to use that arm at all if I can help it. Sometimes it makes me scream and I have to stop whatever I'm doing and give it a rub. It's awkard to clean myself after using the toilet. I've now mentioned all this to the doctor several times. First he said "frozen shoulder" and wanted to give me another jab for it (just as well I didn't have it as it doesn't seem to have helped others!). He then said these vaccines sometimes affect the surrounding muscle and you have to give it time to heal (6 months?). He also said as he couldn't actually see anything wrong with the arm there was nothing anyone could do. He keeps saying give it time.
The practice nurse said I should have let her do it but it doesn't look, after reading this forum, that it would have made any difference. I'm going back to that doctor again to demand action as I've HAD ENOUGH.
Reading all of these posts was like reading a biography of my life the last few years.  I, like the rest of you, received a flu shot.  My first one.  I had the normal pain associated with getting a flu shot.  But as it persisted, I contacted my PCP.  I told her of my significant pain.  I couldn't lift my arm, I couldn't get dressed without help, I couldn't type at work without pain.  She said I had a rotator cuff injury, and sent me to physical therapy.  I did not feel the pain had anything to do with muscle, it felt deeper than that, and I wanted an MRI.  But my insurance would not authorize an expensive test without going through 6 weeks of painful physical therpay.  So I completed that, and was in even more pain.  The MRI was authorized, but nothing showed on the scan.  She suggested I see an orthopedist.  I promptly made an appointment.  The doctor did absolutely nothing for me except put me through many painful unnecessary procedures.  He had no idea what was wrong with me, so just kept pumping me pull of ibuprofen and pain pills.  He gave me a cortizone injection, nothing.  Then I was scheduled for a CT.  On this, they found an "abnormality" in my humerus.  The radiologist told me it was an osteoid osteoma.  And so I believed I had a bone tumor for months.  The orthopedist had me do a CT biopsy so they could get a sample of the tumor, which was inside my bone, not on the outside.  I was awake for this procedure, with a local anesthetic on the shoulder.  I thought this was the most painful procedure I had to do, until the next one.  They did not find anything relevant from this CT biopsy, so the orthopedist referred me out to have a Radiofrequency Ablation performed.  I cannot describe the agony I was in after this was completed.  The nurse asked me my pain level, 1-10, and I cried out a 13.  She told me that was impossible, and just pumped more morphine in me.  Fed up with my incompetent orthopedist, I went searching for another physician.  Someone who would listen to my concerns, and actually want to find out what was wrong with me.  I went to Dr James Hayden, at OHSU in Portland Oregon, and he was a lifesaver.  He told me after all the procedures I went through, he felt he had to operate so he could simply go in there and find the source of all of my pain.  After 10 months of agony, I finally found out what was wrong.  He said I had an intraosseous ganglion cyst.  A cyst in the very inside of my bone.  He had to drill a hole in the bone, scrap out the cyst, and fill it in with cadavar bone to stimulate bone growth.  It has been a year and 9 months since the procedure, and my pain is definitely gone.  I still have the dull pain, but I think that is something I'll have the rest of my life.  Kind of like a reminder to never have a flu shot again.
I am so sorry! What a horrific story. You were astute to press for answers and a proper diagnosis. So many of us don't. I always say, keep searching until you are comfortable with the answers. Your unfortunate story is a great example.

Did Dr Hayden site the flu vac for the development of the intraosseous ganglion cyst? I have read that trauma can cause these cysts to develop in rare cases.

I am glad that the severe pain is gone and only a bad memory.

My Best to You,
~Tuck
I do not recall if Dr Hayden confirmed or denied that this was caused by the flu shot.  I am currently trying to get my medical records from him, as I would like to know what he thought.  There was no trauma to the area prior to the flu shot, so the shot is the only reason I can think of for this to happen.  
Christina
Tonight was my first forage into gathering info on my flu shot induced sore shoulder.  And this is the first site I found.  I'm amazed to hear so many others with the exact same issue.  I wonder if we share a blood type or something?

I'm in the Air Force and we are mandated to get the flu shot.  Normally, I'm very healthy and rarely fall ill.  I've never spent the night in the hospital.  Haven't really been sick since childhood.  For years I've done my best to avoid the flu shot.  The Air Force often uses the mist, which has not caused me any problems so far.  Some years, I'm able to avoid it all together by dragging my feet until the supply runs out.

This year, I was brand new in my unit and my name came out on the bad boy list for no flu shot.  Expecting the mist, I figured I should just go and get it.  I didn't want to highlight myself as a trouble maker so soon.  When they came out with the needle, I should have left.  But didn't.

I received the injection the first week of Dec.  And my shoulder has hurt every day since.  During a very hot shower with the water directly on it for a few minutes I can get some relief.  I can do half the pushups I used to be able to do.  Everyone hurts.  I just muscle through the pain. But then my arm just gives out at about 30.  Today, over 4 months later, the pain is not as intense as it was.  However it is still there.  All the time.

This problem seems to me directly related to the cocktail they administer us.  I can't see how that little needle can cause this trauma.

never again.
First post was Fall of 2009. Had an x-ray this week. Nothing of course. Pain is slowly getting worse. I find that it moves a bit. Sometimes my injection site hurts, sometimes my arm pit, or as low as my elbow. It took a lot of nerve to go back to the people I believe caused the pain in the first place. I've been hoping some miracle would show up here. Ganglion cyst? Ouch, Frozen shoulder? There are so many varied and different possibilities. I started Noni juice today. I'm desperate. That stuff is foul. Ibuprofin does nothing. Apparently, according to other posts, neither does cortisone. I keep trying to move it as much as possible to maintain muscle tone and range of motion. It's losing sleep that's the toughest for me. As others have, I've learned not to reach behind me. Wow, that can put me on my knees in pain. I'm going to keep trying things. If I find the magic bullet I'll post it here for sure.
I had a flu shot on 5th May so only 12 days of pain so far.  I had an  extremely painful shoulder within hours, couldnt hardly move it for 24 hours, then a little better but still painful to raise it, cross my arm across my body, drive, carry things etc etc.  It feels like it is getting worse.  Off to see my doc tomorrow, will keep you posted.
just posted my agreement with all others.  Does anyone know how to report this to authorities, confirm the pain is linked to the shot medically, and do something about it?

there should be a treatment or medication available by now.  This is seriously debilitating at times, and has rendered my left arm useless.  Glad I didn't get it in the right arm.

The pain is different from anything I have ever experienced, and seems systemic at this point, or to be a serious bone or muscle infection!    E.G:  similar pains are appearing in other limbs which come and go, but the upper arm pain and shooting discomfort when I try to move it is just unbelievable.

My husband and I were amazed to find this site; after 4 months of excruciating, maddening pain that left us sleepless and feeling desperate, we found there were others just like us!  He signed on in January 2010 as K&R, 4 full months after receiving the regular flu shot, wondering whether anyone knew anything about any side affects like we were suffering.  We'd called our doctor's office from out of country asking for information and wondering what we could do to get better; a nurse could be heard in the background saying that's what had happened to her!  However, the reply came back that they didn't know what to do to relieve the pain, other than what we'd already tried.
     We had received the regular flu shot September 21, 2009 -  Followed by severe pain in the right side of the neck and shoulder and arm pit - the arm where I received my flu shot.  For my husband, the left side of his body where he received his.  The pain has intensified beyond what we could have imagined until we could not lift our arms to dress, open a cabinet, or put on a seat belt.  Painful extension of the affected arm and shoulder have left us in marked and sickening pain for a long time.  Looking up even to bathe or shower locked my neck in pain where I just couldn't lower it again for some minutes.  Trying to sleep on my side with my right shoulder even slightly forward meant waking up in shoulder and neck pain so severe that I couldn't move in any direction; it was frightening. Rising in the morning meant starting every day in a flood of severe pain that would sickeningly jolt one out of restless sleep.

A curved airline-type pillow began offering me enough support that I could sleep for short periods at a time.  Upon awakening with severe shoulder pain, slipping my shoulder back offered some relief after the several minutes of severe pain subsided.  That still helps to this day.
Other things we've tried and still use are Ibruprofin (more at times than others-trying not to over-do.) muscle rubs, heat, vibration.  
     This very unfortunate situation has meant nothing short of severe debilitation at times, since we lead a very active lifestyle serving others in the military.  Up until the flu shots, my husband had commented on feeling he was in great condition.  He and I are totally convinced we will NEVER EVER receive another flu shot, and are cautioning others who have closely observed our misery since receiving the shot.  Everyone we know around us has received the mist.  As near as we can tell, the ones who receive the nasal mist seem to be ok.    

It's now June 2010.  May 20th marked 8 months of pure agony.  What we now notice is that we gradually have short periods when we experience less pain, followed by times that I can't look up without my neck hurting the next day.  Then I sleep with my curved airline-type pillow again. I can finally lift my arm in a forward direction; the pain intensifies the further back I go trying to lift it up.  It helps for my husband to lift it for me to try to get my range of motion back.   All the while we know, without a doubt, the flu would have been easy and short compared to this.

The two things that concern us most are 1. like all the others affected, wondering how long and how bad this will be, and 2. our second concern is for all the others out there who will innocently step up for this shot that will leave them in the same long-term miserable condition that we and so many others on this site find ourselves.  It's just not right.  How do we make it right?  Is there any effort being made to identify the cause?

I must admit I nearly cried after reading this site, its been 7months since i had my H1N1 and back then this community was not available. Searching flu shot frozen shoulder just wasn't an option. After fighting long and hard for answers after been diagnosed with first impingement, then thickened bursa and now a frozen shoulder.
The vaccine into the bursa was apparently the cause.  Its been a long fight and a long year and my battle continues everyday.  Still haven't found a pain solution (have tried many).
Things have got easier and some days are better than others.
Continue to plead your case I did and after a cortisone injection which rendered me completely weak and numb.  Drs and specialists began to take my case seriously and proceeded through to workers compensation which I won.
The nerve pain, the burning down your arm was very debilitating and it is really important to get that sorted out.
Physio hasn't been an option because it stirs up all the nerve pain.  For others it may be a real help.
Can I just encourage you all to hang in there and thank you all for posting.
I am overwhelmed I am not alone
by am overwhelmed
I am overwhelmed I am not alone
by am overwhelmed
Today I received my 3rd cortisone shot for pain.  I received  the seasonal flu shot on Sept. 3, 2009 which began my misery.  I have never been the same since.  She gave the shot too high on my left shoulder.  I have been in agony every since.  I have had three bouts of physical therapy,2 MRis and shots.  On my own I have gone to accupuncture, tried vitamins etc...I have spent thousands of dollars so far and no relief.  The pain is less than September but I still cannot reach behind my back or reach over my head.  It is impossible to do normal activities.  I am 100 percent sure it was because of the injection.  I never had a problem before this vaccination. I check this site eveyday in the hope that someone has found relief.  At this point I can only pray. Please post whatever has  helped.  Good luck to all.
like all of you I was pleased to find this site. I had a flu jab oct 09 and had the same problems, pain and unable to lift my arm above my head and behind my back. the doc said it would heal in 3 months but it didn't. Then I was told 6 months so I waited and still no change. My blood pressure had gone right up and I'd developed myoclonic jerks in my legs and trunk. I did some research and found that some people had had surgery to correct the problem so I returned to my doc and although she said I had a frozen shoulder I mentioned what I'd found out and was sent to a shoulder specialist. After examination he stated it wasn't a frozen shoulder but tendonitus possibly caused by the jab, Three days later I was in surgery. With phisio I can now lift my arm above my head though I still have a few months to go before it is all completly healed. Eleven months later the jab area is still sore as if it had just been done.
cont'   I now am seeing a neurologist who is doing an elimination process to diagnose the myoclonic jerks. I've had MRI scans for my brain and spine and loads of blood tests. There are still further tests to be done and  dystonia has been mentioned in his report. This all sounds so similar to the case of  the american cheerleader who developed dystonia from a flu jab, although mine are nowhere near as severe as hers. I am now on clonazepam to help calm the jerks and waiting to hear the results of my scan etc.. I'm not a doctor but believe the jab caused perephiral nerve damage which brought on the myoclonic jerks. I'm interested to know if anyone else has developed these symptoms and would welcome any input, good luck to all on this site
Hello Suziwood,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. I am glad that you found us also.

However this thread is THREE years old and I highly doubt that Flower is still an active member. I encourage you to being a new thread and not tack onto an old one. You will obtain better responses.

I know it is maddening that these old threads are accessible. I appreciate your input.

Thank You so Much,
~Tuck
I had the regular and H1N1 flu shots last year with no problems.
I just had the new shot this year which combines the influenza, H1N1 and H3N2 vacinations in one shot.
Last night it felt like a charley horse in my arm...no problem.
Today I woke up and the pain starts at injection site and has moved up my shoulder blade into my neck!
I am having a hard time moving my head due to the pain in my neck now =(
I called the Dr today and he suggested ice packs (incase there is inflamation (inflammation) it should take it down) and ibuprofen for the inflamation (inflammation) also...I am to call him monday if no change.
I am not looking forward to the weekend and hope this goes away! But doesn't really sound like it will =(
A BIGGER part of this problem is that my 20 month old daughter ALSO had her shot yesterday...it was in her upper thigh. I notice no swelling or redness...but there is no obvious swelling or redness where I got my shot either!
I am really scared that my baby is hurting too and she can't even tell me =( She seems ok today still and I am hoping since it was her thigh, not shoulder, she will be fine.
But then I wonder...is it this NEW shots w/ 3 vaccines in it causing the problem? or the injection site?
I hope the pain stops over the weekend and I do NOT have to go through what some of you all are STILL going through since last year...
I will post if I find relief or have to go back to the Dr for it.
I just had the flu/H1N1 vac and the technician hit the bone.  YES he hit the bone...the needle stopped with a thud.  3 weeks later I can hardly lift my arm.  Heading to doctor next week and hope that this isn't a huge problem.  
I got the flu shot this year as I do every year. That was almost 3 weeks ago and my arm/shoulder still hurts. It was so bad that last week I went to the doc after reading threads like this online. He said we could spend a lot of money on tests (which may come back inconclusive) and physical therapy (which may not really speed up the healing process) but in the end it is probably just a matter of time. He DID give me a steriod pack which I finished yesterday morning...the last pill. The steriods helped immediately, however today when I woke up the stiffness is back in the shoulder and I am hoping it doesn't get worse.

At its worst, the pain was so bad that when I tried to remove my gown over my head I doubled over...unable to the complete the task. I had tingling and numbness in my arm and fingers, and down into my shoulder blade. I have never had anything from past flu shots other than a little arm soreness that lasted a couple of days. This is different. Like the others we believed that the shot was a little high and also towards the back of the shoulder.

Because of a lowered kidney function my doc has told me to limit NSAID intake. This is bad news since that is the only thing that actually helped the pain. Since I can't afford expensive tests or PT right now (and from reading the blog they don't really seem to help much in the diagnosis or recovery) I'm gonna give it a little time...unless it gets worse and becomes unbearable again. I plan to keep checking back here and reporting the progress. I DID feel better after reading the posts because I realized this was apparently not just some funky anomaly that only I was experiencing.
UPDATE: Well I went back to the doc Friday afternoon. I told him how the Medrol pak helped and how the pain had returned within 24 hours of the last pill. That the only thing that would touch the pain were NSAIDs. So, since I normally stay away from steriods he said another round of Medrol would be OK. Also he said because the kidney function number he was concerned about was so close to normal and the BUN and Creatine numbers were normal, he was going to put me back on Mobic once I hit the 3-pill day of the Medrol pak. I also shared with him what I have learned from this site and others. So the game plan is to follow Medrol with Mobic and give it a couple more weeks. If the pain is not much improved he will refer me to a shoulder doc for evaluation and possible cortisone injection. Honestly I cannot afford expensive PT right now but HAVE been doing gentle stretches, etc. Knock on wood but I don't seem to have any range of motion issues if I can stand the pain. So, today shoulder is kinda achy but tolerable, today is 3-pill day so I will start the Mobic tonight. I should know by the end of the week if there is any improvement.

On Monday, October 4th, 2010 I got a flu shot. My shoulder has been sore since and my range of motion of my right arm is limited. The pain has been excruciating. I saw my doctor four days later. Diagnosis-the shot hit my bursa causing inflamation (inflammation). I have been taking ibuprofen and applying heat. The soreness and pain remain the same. My annual flu shot days are over. HELP.
That must be my problem. Never had a problem before. Had the flu shot beginning of October, 2010 and ever since have been in agony. The shot seemed rather high as most of you commented. I thought at the time that at least she didn't seem to hit the bone!

I have used heat and ice and no success. I can see that not much help is available. I hope someone can offer some solution. This is awful.

I feel so badly for all of you. Now, I'm one of the sufferers. I guess this will be long-term.

Had a flu shot on September 2, 2010.  Had some discomfort but it continued to get worse.  After three weeks, I could not raise my arm at all.  I have had four weeks of Physical Therapy and am just beginning to have greater range of motion.  I am continuing on anti-inflamatory meds.  My orthopedic doctor says it will get better but it will take months.  I have always gotten a flu shot, but this has never happened before.  I think it was in the way the shot was given.
UPDATE: I began taking the Mobic (7.5mg daily) when I had was on day 4 of the Medrol dose pak. That was Monday the 11th and I took the last steriod Wednesday the 13th. All was good until Sunday the 17th. I woke up with my arm and shoulder hurting and my fingers tingling/numb. I do not believe I did anything to aggrevate it...guess the steriods lasted a bit longer this time. And now there is a NEW symptom. My shoulder is popping and cracking some. It has NEVER done that before...I don't know if it is a good sign or a bad sign. Very frustrated...the next step is have my GP refer me to a shoulder guy. I cannot afford MRIs and Physical Therapy.

It has now been 5 weeks since the Flu Shot. I found out that the wives of two of our employees are having the same problems (they rec'd the shot the same day I did at the office). The younger one who is in her 30s is doing better but not over it. The one that is around my age 50s is still having trouble like I am. Today is Tuesday the 19th and the pain is less than Sunday. I am taking 15mg daily of Mobic (rather than the prescribed 7.5mg) since Sunday and maybe that is helping a bit. Pain on Sunday was about a 7 or 8. Today maybe 5 or 6 unless I move in one of the many ways that aggrevates the condition.

So not planning on going back to the doc but if the pain continues with no more improvement or gets worse...guess I will. I hate to think that I've got to live with this pain for another 6 mos or a year...
:-(
i just got the flu shot yesterday at 8:30 in the morning. about 2 hours after i felt the site burning/itching so i removed the bandaid thinking that i may have developed an allergy from the adhesive on the bandai. my injection site was swollen and red larger than a 50 cent piece. ii was concerned but continued my day. after my day job i went to my night job,waitressing. it only got worse. by the end of the night i couldnt lift my arm, sleep on that arm, i was having difficulty breathing and couldnt seem to focus my eyes. i took today off and called my doctor. its as if they think nothing is wrong but i know my body amd it doesnt feel right. i also have cysts in my shoulder from a previous injury and mitral valve prolapse (heart). i feel like something is wrong but they wont listen. am i just being paranoid?
UPDATE: OK, since the shoulder started hurting Sunday the 17th (after finishing the Medrol on the 13th) the pain kinda came and went during the following week. However, last Friday Oct 22nd I woke up with my shoulder hurting really bad and locked up/difficult to move. With heat and meds I was able to get dressed and come into work later. So back to the doc that afternoon. He talked with the shoulder doc and they gave me two choices. Either try a longer 10 day round of steriods (5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,1,1) which isn't great for you but they felt it was a valid choice given my med history, or off to the shoulder doc for steriod shot in the shoulder. My doctor told me it was my choice but he was 51% to 49% for the steriod shot. I guess I just wasn't ready for that so I am on day 7 of the 10 day steriods. I also began taking the Mobic this morning since today is a 2 pill steriod day. Of course the steriods helped within 24 hours but I feel like maybe this course did not have as dramatic a result (maybe my imagination) as the first one.

I guess I keep hoping that during the interim there will be enough improvement that I won't need to have further treatment. Although at this point that hope has been dashed a bit. The shoulder doc told my GP that he had never heard of anyone having this problem but at least did not say it couldn't happen or was in my head. My GP asked that I print him off the "good stuff" that I found in my hours of research for him to look at...which is one of the reasons I really like my GP. He doesn't think he knows everything and actually listens to and responds to patient issues without already having formed an opinion that can't be swayed.

At work last Friday I asked my boss how his wife's shoulder was doing and he told me she had been back to the doctor and was now on a Medrol Pak, that it really helped, etc. you know the story. They both know my experience with the steriods and I need to ask again how she is doing since finishing the Medrol.

I am very apprehensive about what will happen after I finish the steriods. It's almost kinda cruel that you can take something that really gives relief but it's not good for you and it is not a solution. So this is do or die, if the pain does not return (crossed fingers) I'm good. However, if it again becomes such that I cannot perform daily functions without a lot of pain I will get the steriod injection. I have had several fellow sufferers inform me that's what finally gave them relief. One was in pain for 7 months until the shot, says it's been good now 3 months post-shot.

So, guess I'll make it through Halloween semi-pain free depending on my costume choice! I am also taking my first ballroom dance class tonight (I really suck) which I imagine will get my mind off my shoulder for a few days while my feet, knees and hips hurt ha!

Six weeks since the flu shot and still counting....
I had my very first  seasonal flu shot ever on November 24th, 2010 ( I had the H1N1 last year - no problem ) A few hours later, my neck ( side of the injection ) was killing me. It was an awful shooting pain, really intense. I could not anything except lie there. I was getting really concerned. I had to lie on my back.This was really alarming. Now, 2 days later, I still have pain, but not to that intensity. I just wonder how long before I feel myself again, because I still feel awful.

Amaija
I am 54 and I received my first flu shot a couple of months ago.  It was relatively painless and I had no side efects until maybe a week later when I started waking up at night from the pain in my shoulder.  I also experienced unusual neck pains and a hip injury I received a year ago started to flare up, which was inconvenient because it was my left shoulder and my right hip so I could not sleep on either side.  I took ibuprofen before bed along with flexeril and I could sleep through the night.  The pain in my shoulder also radiates down the back of my arm and into my lower wrist.  My hip is better, maybe it was the onset of winter that caused it to relapse in the first place.  But my shoulder still hurts, especially if I stretch my left arm towards my face using my right arm to pull it towards me.  Also lifting my left arm straight up is quite painful.  I guess I am luckier than many of the other posters because the pain does not prevent me from dressing or doing  daily tasks.  I have always been suspicious of flu shots and now I am convinced there are side effects that are swept under the rug by the medical and pharma industries.
My detailed experience is chronicle on the following thread:

http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/why-my-shoulder-still-hurts-after-2010-flu-shot?page=4

My symptoms mirror most everyone else’s…1) shot high up so much so that we talked about it for days after the shot 2) mine started hurting that evening, shot given around 3:30 pm 3) pharmacy came to our workplace and administered shot 4) pain doing all the things everyone mentioned with the MOST painful when trying to pull off a tight fitting garment over my head…just can’t do it even now (shot given nine weeks ago) 5) cannot sleep on left side (except when I took the steroids, have taken two medrol paks and one 10 day course…doc said I can’t have any more) 6) had initial numbness in my index & middle finger and some in my thumb, now just sorta comes and goes but not so much and 7) my doc was not aware of this being a problem and initially attributed it to other things, however, after hearing my explanations, what I found in my research, and the fact that he’s known me for many years and believes I’m not crazy has asked me to gather the info I have found for him…much to my relief and amazement.

In my hours of research I have found some information that was helpful. For one the VAERS site to report adverse events listed earlier in this post. I also was able to download adverse event data for the last two years…a ton of info applying some filters found tons of reports of this type of reaction. So it is not new.

Also found this thread on another site with info that was reported in 2007 and even gave the condition a name: Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration, or SIRVA. Yes there is even an acronym for this condition:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Occupational-Health--Safety/Improper-Flu-Shot-Causes-Injury/show/1310784

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20955829

As well as this HHS Power Point presentation from last summer where the last two pages discuss the above published info as well as thoughts on cause, treatment, etc.:

http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/RJL-UptoMay-2010VICP2.ppt

And last this article that discusses the findings and recommendations in detail. Not from any gov’t related side but after finding all the other info, I thought the article appeared credible:

http://vactruth.com/2010/09/06/shoulder-injury-related-to-vaccine-administration/comment-page-1/#comment-2868

Hope some of this helps. Based on what I’ve gone through I truly believe it is important for everyone to file a VAERS report of adverse event and talk about this so that more is done in evaluating the cause(s) and prevention of this issue. I look forward to reading your updates. And PLEASE update even if the pain goes away…it is helpful to us still hurting to read about those that have recovered…gives us hope! :-D
ive been getting the flu shot for 20yrs never a problem    i had one nov 2010  this is jan2011 and still having problems   i think these pharmacies are the wrong place to get it....they are just barely trained on this i think i shouldve went to my drs office   i will never get the flu shot again
I had my flu shot in May and it was all better by the end of August.  I had weekf physio, Ultrasound on my shoulder 2 weeks in showed nothing which was very frustrating.  Eventually it got better on its own.  I had two weeks off work though and I think using a mouse each day was aggravating it; then when I didn't use the mouse for 2 weeks it had a chance to heal properly.  I won't be having it again this season.  Good luck to all of you still in pain.  Its not nice
My husband (60) had his flu shot October 2010, it is now April 1, 2011 and he still has all the symptoms everyone here has described. He is now being referred to a rheumatoid specialist. But we believe it has all been due to the flu shot. Have any of you recovered from your pain and suffering? How long does one have to endure all this?
Same thing. I got a normal Flu shot December 2010, and my shoulder has been sore for over 5 months since. I found this site by searching for "sore bone flu shot." I have had shoulder impingement on the other side. This is not that. This soreness is not internal to the shoulder, it feels like it is one spot on the bone. I had begin to wonder if the tip of the needle broke off in the bone! My Dr. does not believe me; he thinks it is arthritis. But it is not internal to the joint, it feels like someone gave me a knuckle punch. It is not bad enough to justify surgery or pain pills, but I would like to know if there is any long term remedy.
I had my whooping cough shot and found It terribly painful for the next week or so but have noticed prolonged pain in my arm and shoulder with muscle spasms which are a concern. It's now ten weeks and I'm still having the muscle spasms and occasional pains.  
I have been getting the flu shot for 20 yrs & this was the 1st time I went outside my doctors office. I went to Kmart in bohemia NY & I am having the same severe pains as everyone else. This was also the 1st time I had the shot given so high up my arm.  I am in such severe pain, I made a doctors appointment for tomorrow. I hope there is something my doctor can do because I can't live like this.
october 5th, I got both the flu shot and pneumonia vaccine. They stung a bit and I was certain the assistant did NOT sswab arm area with alcohol first, Before I got comfy in chair it was done and more towards back of shoulder. I was warned of the impending soreness by a pharmacist however I had no idea it would hurt so bad and feel so warm to the touch... like there is imflammation. Just tonite I feel my neck becoming involved. Hard for me to turn my head or sleep....like others. I am planning on giving my DR a call on Tuesday and am sure I will still be sore enough to relay to her. Only thing that helped me was a Lidoderm patch.
I am not a senior by any means, but thought I would share my story. I had a flu shot on Sept 22nd. It bled when the nurse stuck in the needle. The next day, I got a pretty bad bruise there. A week later I had pain and tenderness like a lot of you on here. It kept me up during the night, and was just achy. Pain got so bad that I couldn't dress myself, or sleep on it.  This pain radiated down my arms to my neck.I took myself to the MD and he passed it off as muscle spasms. I went to PT for two sessions and the pain got worse! Surprise! I went back to the MD and he was baffled and then finally believed that it was from the shot. He was afraid that a hematoma formed in the small area in the joint and bursa. I was sent to get an MRI, which was my first. Here are the results, tendonosis in two parts of my shoulders, a rotator cuff tear, bursitis, and fluid buildup where the bursa is. MD is wanting me to have weeks to months of PT. If my tendonsis doesn't resolve, surgical options are in my future. I thought i would share this with you. I will never, ever get a Flu shot again!!
In my opinion and experience it's very doubtful a flu shot caused a rotator cuff tear. It seems more probable that the injection caused inflammation, swelling and hemotoma which aggravated the underlying condition.

That's just my opinion.

Good Luck to You,
~Tuck

I've read a good number of the postings on shot pain but only a few folks offered remedies that were effective for them.  I have seen my doctor (she gave me the shot), I have been to the ER for fluids because I was so dehydrated from vomiting, and still I can barely raise my arm above my waist unless it's bent.  Straight arm is impossible.  It's only been four days and I have tried heat, lidoderm patches, and dilaudid for pain.

For remedies I have also tried the heat pad which seems to help.  I have called my chiropractor and will try acupuncture as soon as he can schedule me.

Can someone post a few effective remedies besides the passage of time?  What works to treat this pain and lack of mobility?
This is follow up to previous post of severe pains after flue shot. MRI report shows Partial tear of superior subscapularis tendon (rotor cuff) & split present involving the intraarticular component (think bicep area) & severe tendinosis of the intraarticular long head of the biceps tendon & supraspinatus tendon & inflammation plus some other minor issues. I was given 2 cortisone shots & Celebrex & am starting physical theropy today. I have never had shoulder problems & I do not lift heavy items or do sports. This pain started the night of my shot & I herd a pop sound when the needle was removed. I am convinced this is from the shot which was the first time given so high up my arm.
Hello fellow sufferers! It has been a little over a year since my fateful flu stick and I can say that my arm is prob 90% well. If I overdo it I can still tell there is something different from the "pre-stick" arm (a little more pain and stiffness, etc.) but that is entirely manageable.

Interesting note, I was responding to a poster on another site having the problem this year. In working up my response, I again went out on the internet. Voila! It seems the issue about possible shoulder injury from bad injection which was discussed at the VICP Medical Analysis Update last summer has now been followed up with a recently published summary and transcript on the VICP site. It is a 48 page PDF publication and at least 20 pages discuss the shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA) that most of us seem to be suffering from. The "good stuff" starts around page 16. I was actually reading it with my mouth open so relieved to finally have what we had already pretty much figured out validated by the medical community. Unfortunately there is still no clear pathway to recovery ONCE YOU HAVE BEEN INJURED, however, I am relieved that they are now taking the injuries more seriously.

Here is the link:

http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/accvtranscript9310.pdf

Happy reading.....

So I too go a flu, but its only been about 2 and half weeks - my elbow has a huge black bruise and I am now developing bruising on the under part of my arm.  I even questioned if it was the wrong thing that gave me - The dr. keeps asking me if I just hitting it on something and don't remember - I have never experienced anything that I am going through right now; my arm just keeps getting more sore every day.
hi I'm 38 yrs old and just had my 1st viroflu jab, within hrs of it my face began tingling then my legs and now my hand.  what should I do???
I had my flu shot last year on 10/20/10, I still have pain today 10/25/11.  It has been a year and I still have pain.  My shot was placed too low and over toward the front of my arm.  I still have a painful lump there.  Now the pain has radiated down my bicep, over my shoulder and around the back shoulder blade.  I have always gotten flu shots before this one and never had any shoulder pain of any kind before this shot.  Prednizone helped tremendously but you can't stay on it too long.  As soon as I came off, the pain returned with a vengence.  If anyone finds anything to help with this problem please offer the information and make sure to report the problem to VAERS.
I get the flu shot every year and have never had a problem until this year.  i feel she put it in too low in my arm... It hurt like crap when she gave it to me and this was on Thurs. Sept. 8th.  Afterwards my arm wase the shot in is s so soar I could hardly move it or use it!  Igot sick from this one and when I woke up Sun morning my hand was useless. I cant straighten my fingers nor my wrist.  Its been 2 months and it is still the same with no improvements!  I feel its from the shot bein put in a little too low and I think she hit something she wasnt suppose to.  The area she gave me the shot in, is still sore to the touch!!!
I got the flu shot a month ago, and i can hardly move my arm.  The pain in my mid upper arm is so intense. They had a young girl in the office (training) ask if it was ok for her to give shot, and it seem to take forever to get med in my arm...just didnt feel right. ill take my chances next yr.. i dont think the flu would be this bad. :(
I couldn't hardly move mine either and then the 3rd morning I woke up and I can't lift my wrist.  It just drops down and my fingers wont move much.  It is still very sore at the injection site and feels like there is a bump in there. M R I was normal.  I have been going to physical therapy for a month now.  Next Thurs doctor is doing a nerve test on the arm.  I will never get a shot at a pharmacy again!!!  Does anyone know if this sounds like she hit the nerve?  Hope your arm feels better.  Ice seems to help the arm pain but the wrist and fingers are hopeless...
same thing here...only I have NEVER had a flu shot before, was entirely skeptical and terribly reluctant to get it in the first place, fearing side effects of some kind. I am 51 and was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetis, which is under reasonable control. My doctor suggested i get the flu shot because in her opinion diabetics suffer more problems should they get the flu. It's likely that I have had my diabetis undiagnosed for several years, and have had a couple of flu bouts since then, but none that I would have considered in some way extreme. I reluctantly agreed to the shot, having asked what side effects i might expect. "some people experience soreness in the arm, but usually nothing serious" she assured me. Well, I can take some soreness in the arm, having dealt with extreme pain 10 years back, prior to my gallbladder removal, but I wasn't prepared for this. My shoulder aches, bones pop, neck is sore and stiff like a whiplash injury on the side of the injection, I won't go on, because so many in this forum have already expressed the same symptoms. I am in constant agony, and have been so for over 3 weeks now. at times my right arm is almost useless depending how i position myself. I don't know what to do, but it affects my ability to work at my profession, and is threatening to affect my income. I simply canot afford to have this happen. I think my first trip is going to be to a lawyer, but I don't want to have to go it alone. In reading all the post here, I feel that there has to be someone, somewhere in the legal profession that can act on our behalf and do SOMETHING!, even a class action settlement to all affected parties might be some small compensation to offset the attitude that " the benefits outweigh the risks" kind of BS.
This is physically debilitating..and for what? Statistically I believe it can be shown that there are few fatalities from the flu compared to the number of people who become chronically debilitated from this vaccine, and need PT and who knows what kind of treatment.
If this was thalidamide, someone would have done something by now.
all you posters in this group please think about this, we need to act on behalf of everyone and anyone who is suffering with this.
Iplan on checking on a lawyer this week after the test they are doing Thursday.  I want to see what that shows first.  I am positive the shot caused this but I don't understand why... Did she give it wrong or is it a reaction to the shot?  All I know is I am right handed and I can't use my hand. I have to wear a brace to keep my wrist from just dropping down.
I recieved the flu shot October 27th at a health fair.  She hit me about an inch from my shoulder bone and pain shot down my arm into my fingers.
I let her know it hurt and she commented it was hard to get the needle in and said my muscle was hard, did I work out?  No I don't.  As others have posted, my pain keeps me from pulling upwards or raising my arm up.  A lot of the pain is in area between elbow & shoulder.
I was going to call for a dr. appointment but it sounds like that is a waste of time & money  
I had my flu shot in September.
I am still having pain in my left shoulder and arm after using a medrol dose pack.
The only time it felt good was when I was taking the highest dose of the medicine.
Doctor seems to think it is a result of the shot.
He thinks I had a deep hematoma  that left scar tissue.
I may need to see a specialist for the break up of the scar tissue.
Not a fun procedure I am told.
Good luck with yours.
Anyone who tells you high up near the shoulder shots are normal, shouldn't be administering vaccines and should be reported.  This can result in shoulder damage, sometimes for months or even years.. Google SIRVA vaccine study
Just an update FWIW from my experience back in 2008. It took about 3+ months for the pain to go away after my flu-shot. I mentioned it to my PCP and he didn't have a clue what the issue could be. I do think that because I am at a keyboard all day, that one possibility is that since my muscles are already (potentially) inflamed the shot magnifies this issue. The only other things I can throw out there is that I talked to my sister-in-law who is an NP and she thinks either the nurse jabbed me wrong or perhaps I had an allergic reaction. I wish I had more concrete information but hopefully this might help folks....
I  saw my doctor last week and the person who gave me the flu shot injured the nerve in my arm.  I will get full use of my arm back with time and lots of therapy.  Thank goodness she didn't sever the nerve cuz then it would have been permanent!!!  
Thank goodness I stumbled across this website.  I had my annual flu shot Oct. 31st and the nurse said to relax my arm so that I wouldn't feel the soreness after the shot - hah!  It was so painful when she administered the shot and since that time the pain in my shoulder and upper arm, down to my elbow has been terrible.  A deep, dull, intense ache.  The kind that brings you to tears.  I am miserable.  It has been a week and the thought of it being longer is very discouraging.  I called the doctors office yesterday and the nurse who administered the shot told me that many people have been calling.  I think she's placing the shot too high up on the arm.  I have been getting flu shots for about 20 years, but this was the first time at this doctor's office.  I  have never had this reaction.  I will definitely think twice about getting one  next year.  Ibuprofin, cold packs, hot water bottle, nothing helps but I notice when I am in bed a night the pain subsides but as soon  as I get up it starts up again.
Got flu shot at work (it is required) 10/28/11.  Within 2 days, I started feeling sore.  Within 4 days, every joint in my body hurt.  My toes, ankles, knees, wrists, fingers, shoulders (even the one I didn't get the shot in) elbows.  It is so bad I can hardly walk.  Our NP saw me, and said it was not related to the flu shot.  She thinks I have an autoimmune disease.  Funny-I have never had this pain all over before.  
Last year, I skipped the flu shot.  No shoulder pain.  The two years before,I did have the flu shot each of those years-I had shoulder pain for 6 months-It was late spring before I got over it.  My NP last year said maybe it was the preservative in it.  So this year she wrote an order for me to have preservative free--according to RN that gave shot (in an assembly line) they are all preservative free this year.  I will have to go to my NP probably next week-if she agrees, then I will NEVER take the flu shot again.  If not, I will have to do it to keep my job.  I would rather have the flu than go through this.  
I don't think anything relieves the pain much-I've taken Advil.  Today, I took aspirin and could turn my head.  Heat/ice don't help either.  Worst pain is getting up in a.m. and when I wake at night.  Good luck to everyone.  
I have mild Lupus, I just received a flu shot and I am in horrible pain, muscles, joints and glands. Fatigue too.It is depressing. Never had this problem before. These descriptions here are spot on to my experience. Uhg.

Same pain as everyone else. Flu shot in Nov.2010. Pain has gotten worse, and severe at night.
Had xrays and ultrasound done, have not got results as of yet.
I am 43 and hate to think this could last forever!
Hi I am 54 and have history of neck and arm pain. I have a three way fusion in my neck. I had a flu shot in the middle of oct.  A week or so later I got really bad pain in my left bicep muscle and forearm. Hand feels tight. The pain is so intense could not work. Have been off for nine days so far. Doctor gave me muscle relaxers and pain meds. Does not help much. The only thing that helps is to  lay down on my back. Soon as I get up pain is back. I though pain was from neck,not so sure now. Was dealing with pain OK until flu shot. Wish I had an answer.
I am in UK and this is the first time I have had the flu injection. I am 64 years old.  I also had the pneumonia injection at the same time but in a different arm and I had 3 days of intense pain with that.

However the pain from the flu injection site did not kick in for about 7 days or so after.  I did not make the connection but the injection is the only thing different in my life.  Has anyone else had a delay in the pain starting as against it coning on right away?

Hi, I had severe soreness in the arm right away but I lost the use of my wrist and fingers about 48 hours later.  I also have severe neck issues and when I lost the use of my hand my first thought was it had something to do with my neck.  I went to my doctor and he thought I might have had a stroke.  I spent two days in the hospital to find out my radial nerve in my arm is damaged.  I know the flu shot is the reason this happened.  Everyone said she put it too low on my arm.  I have been trying to get a attorney to help me and am having trouble getting anyone to take my case.  I don't know if it's just the type of case or if it's just not a big money maker case.  I feel if someone doesn't know how to give these injections they shouldn't be giving them.  I am slowly getting the use of my hand now which is now 3 months since the shot.  This really scared me...  It could have been permanent.  I will never get a shot or let anyone draw blood from me again.  
I have talked to several attorneys and no one wants to take the case and I am not sure why...  Not enough damage?  I don't understand how someone that doesn't know enough to give these shots correctly can continue to give them.  I guess if the issue was permanent, there would be a larger amount of money involved.  I thought attorneys were here to help.  I guess I was wrong.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know...
Thank you
Hello, i`m a male 32 and had my first ever flu shot 3 days ago, the pain gradually got worse within the first hour of receiving it, by bedtime i was in extreme pain and my arm was beginning to swell, my joints were sore, and my head felt fuzzy and i was disorientated with occasional shakes. I awoke every hour or so due to the pain and halfway through the night i could not lie on my back as even this caused more pain to the arm. By morning i was in one of the worse states iv even been in so i had no option but to take things easy. From day two my arm had begun to get scarily warm and still is the same. Anyway, its now day three and the swelling of the area where i got the jag remains the same. However, now the area of my tricep is becoming the exact same and it appears to be working its way down the arm... I know this sounds strange, and i live with my girlfriend who says its meant to swell and ill be okay, but i also received the pneumonia shot on my opposite arm so i have that to compare it with as they were both done at the same time. I`m giving it till monday as its sunday am at the moment but i just thought i would add this and will let you know how i get on.
i understand,i got the shot 2days ago my shoulder and arm hurt so bad i could not catch my breath,i went to the er they said i was having a bad reaction to the flu shot,by the way the doc who took care of me refuses himself to ever get one...my hand is now totally numb,pins and needles i cant sleep even with the pain meds so i am heading back to the er tomorrow with information bout GBS i want checked for it...i am freaked out
i also had the flu jab and had pain for 6 weeks now . i went to the docs and he said the jab was injected into my tendon and it would take 8 weeks to settle down. he also said that it was extreemly  rare for this to happen . he told me to take co-codemol and rub piroxicam gel on the sore part hope this is useful for you . the pain is easing but its probably due to pain killers will never have the jab again thats fact
This so *****...... Now i am on narcotic pain meds thanks alot. and its no help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My friend (in her 30's) got a flu shot a few years ago and ended up with very bad joint pain all over.  I lasted for months.  I explained to her that it was the mercury in the flu shot that affects the joints so terribly (and other things) but she just thought is was a coincidence......until.......the following year when she got another flu shot, and the joint pain immediately when to X's ten.  She now suffers from joint pain all the time as well as fatigue.  There are tens of thousands of people who end up with life-long suffering because of the flu shot.  We have a generation full of children with neurodevelopmental disorders because of the flu shot and other vaccines.  Mercury is a neurotoxin (brain toxin) and toxic to the body in general.  The flu shot and other vaccines make more patients for the pharmaceutical companies.  WAKE UP America !!!
I've been getting a flue shot at Walgreen's for at least 7 years with no side-effects. This year, however,  after getting the shot, I've experienced nothing but increasing pain in my right arm, radiating upward into my shoulder and affecting the right side of my neck. I run regularly a minimum of 5 miles daily and am now having trouble holding my right arm upright. I find the need to keep straightening it to relieve the pain and discomfort I'm having. What the heck is going on here? I had the shot in early September and we're approaching December. Perhaps it is time for a class action law suit. Sign me up!!!!!
The exact same thing also happened to me 2 years ago.  For many years I got my annual shot at the local Walgreens, Longs, or CVS.  The symptoms and pain appeared about 1 or 2 months after getting the shot in my left arm.  I discovered this blog and was glad I wasn't alone, but did not seek medical help due to all the comments here...I figured my doctor wouldn't have a reasonable explanation either.  Also, because there were so many of us, I contacted an attorney to no avail.  Then after about 9 months all the pain and discomfort completely disappeared...thank goodness!  I think it has something to do with how the shot is given, who gives it, and the proximity of the bone.  I now get my shots only at my doctor's office and in the thigh or butt.  I recommend this to all!
I got a flu shot in my upper left arm Oct 24, 2011. I could hardly move my arm for a day and since then there is constant pain. I can't lift my arm to put clothes on, carry my purse on my left arm, driving is painful, sleeping on my left is difficult and when I jog on the treadmill, it feels like the muscle falls a bit and then pops back up where it's supposed to be. Reading these cases just tells me not to go to the doctor because they can't help. I hope this goes away soon because it is very painful. I know without a doubt that I got this from the flu shot.
I also got the flu shot on 10/14/2011 at a free clinic conducted by the local health department. Since then I'm also experiencing pain in my left shoulder muscle and joint. I also can't lift my shoulder up to wear or remove my shirt. I haven't been to my Dr yet, but planning to. My wife also got the shot at the same time but she is fine. But the shot was administered by a different nurse.
i got the flu shot 10/24/11 and the nurse that gave me the shot, gave it to me in the joint on right shoulder. later discovered this was a student nurse and i was not informed it was a student. since then, been back to dr. several times and they said it will get better. no way. still hurts and had an mri 4 days ago and have not yet heard results. i think the nurse hit something and they wont admit it, but its sore and really pissed me off. im going to fight this and get relief someway.
OMG...Mom thought she was going crazy!  She is 84 and had no problems at all before she got the flu shot in October from a technician at the doctor's office.  Mom's very active: cuts her own grass, works 3 days a week, bowls in 2 leagues...She has all the symptoms you have shared.  She has to take her right arm to move her left arm, She is having trouble getting dressed and with sleeping.  Now she is having trouble standing up - the pain radiates across the top of her thighs.  She has to stand still for a few moments so she can get her balance.  Last week, they took a shoulder x-ray and now said there is something wrong with her blood work. She said that the regular doctor said that she is not ruling out the flu shot.  I am taking her there tomorrow and will try not to explode on these people.  I am so grateful for all of you who have taken the time to post your stories.  Bless you all!
So glad I stumbled on this site.  I'm 62 and had my first flu shot Oct 1st and here I am 8 weeks later really sore upper arm at and around the injection site, the pain radiates down into my forearm and now in the middle of the night I wake up with numbness and pins and needles in my hand and this is not from sleeping on it as I haven't been able to sleep on that arm since my flu jab.  This cannot be right!  
re the post of 12/5 by me, capspoon, had mri now they say i have a torn rotator cuff. have not had any accident or anything to cause this and it did not start until i got the flu shot. got to go to dr. 12/9 and see what they say. this is complete crap. the dr. says the flu shot had nothng to do with it.
I hope everyone is able to read this... I for one don't think it has anything to do with the FLU medication at all or the serum.  I had a Rabies vaccine on 11/04 of this year that was administered too high in my deltoid or humerus. I was NOT at a retail chain drug store I was at the Infusion Center at a major hospital in my area.  I am now under the care of an Orthopedic Surgeon outside of this medical group..I had an MR-Arthrogram that shows a partial Rotator Cuff Tear (or fraying of the tendon).  Surgery has not been ruled out but he would first like to try Celebrex.  I'm sure some people do have allergic reactions to serums and what not but if you think the vaccine was given too high than you are not having an allergic reaction.  Because the FLU Vaccine is going around EVERYWHERE & ANYWHERE it seems that its the serum but its not.  It's NEGLIGENCE on behalf of the administrator.
It's been 3 months of pain, On Celebrex, had 3 cortisone shots, x-ray (nothing showed), 1st MRI showed 3 small tears, tendinosis & bursitis. 2nd MRI showed recents shoulder dislocation episode, & 3 tears. Pysical Theropy for 2 months. One orthopedic doctor says I will probably need surgery (which consist of 1 month no arm use & 4 more months of PT). 2nd Orthopedic doctor says the pain is not because of the tears (& don't need surgery) it's due to Frozen Shoulder. Going for a 3rd opinion next week. Doctor insisted I must haven fallen & would have felt shoulder dislocation (which I did not fall with pain). He also does not believe me that I got this from the flu shot.  I am so tired of people telling me it's not from the shot & so tired of putting out so much money from an injury I KNOW came from the shot. I do have to say the cortisone shots & PT have helped a bit, but my nights still bad & PT is painful.  I think I am physically drained from living with this pain.
November 2009 I received an H1N1 flu shot. Ever since the day I received it I had nothing but pain. Months later had x-rays which of course revealed nothing. One year later I had MRI which also of course revealed nothing. Today I finally went to see a new doctor and finally was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder. The doctor said that there is no scientific data that shows what causes a frozen shoulder. He said it is a possibility that the injection which was given to me by a "Unit Secretary" not a nurse was the cause of it, but right now there is no real data to prove it. He did say that even their anesthesiologist had a really bad reaction to the flu shot he received which was both the H1N1 and the normal flu shot. So all of you out there with this same problem and no answers get another opinion until you get a real diagnosis. The doctor says I will be fine after the surgery. He diagnosed me with "SEVERE frozen shoulder" and believe me the pain is unbelievable! I have gone 2 yrs in this pain and will be happy to have the surgery done as long as it means I will finally heal!
I spoke to an attorney today he is going to get with his paralegal monday to see if I have a medical malepractice case. 11/09 H1N1 shot from a "unit secretary" they take a test or whatever in order to give shots but they are not a nurse. She used the draw needle which is a larger needle that you are supposed to change when you go to give the shot. She gave the shot in too high. Yes this can all cause inflamation (inflammation) in the shoulder which can cause frozen shoulder. I will keep you up to date you may want to talk to a lawyer. Mean while I am getting surgery on 1/3/12.
I too have the shoulder bursitis/tendonitis/neck/upper scapula signs too. This came a couple of weeks after my CVS flu shot. They tell you that you can't be harmed by "dead" organisms injected into you. What they don't say is that the "dead" organisms are actually inactive virus' and not bacteria! And unlike a bacteria, a virus is more difficult to eradiacate. As we know any virus is inactive until it finds itself within a host with DNA to replicate so the "dead" organism comment is misleading.

I suspect the problem is trauma caused by the injection (of the virus) wrongly placed on the shoulder that somehow affects nearby bursa. Who knows what the virus does once inside of us? Nevertheless, the swollen bursa likely migrates pain along nerves throughout regions of noted pain. Probably the focus of treatment should be for bursitis; in other words inflammation of the bursa. Most accounts of treatment seem to suggest rest to reduce synovial fluid and its pressure which brings about the pain. However, gradual mild stretch exercises might help although some PT exercises could do more harm than help. If you feel pain, you're creating more fluid in the bursa.

In my case, I have full mobility and enjoy much activity. I think it's because I follow a complete anti-inflammatory diet along with extra supplements like vitamin C and grape seed extract. Maybe if you don't want another injection (of cortisone), it's notable that supplemental turmeric supposedly rivals cortisone as an anti-inflammatory. Also I think coconut oil with lauric acid, which is a rare anti-viral compound, might also help if the injected virus is somehow active. If anyone is following any these protocols, please share your experiences. Folks, with rare exceptions the medical community seems to be ignoring our plight (see exception of blu100 above) so let's generate our own ideas?

I too have experienced discomfort from the flu shot. I was given the shot in my upper left arm (about 4 weeks ago) and ever since I've been in pain. Somedays it is an ache to the bone, always very stiff and sore. I cannot lift my arm above my head and at times it feels like I have a strange sensation. Hard to describe but close to numbness with some itching of the skin. Even my hand aches...this is ridiculous as I was not warned of any possible side effect such as these. If I had been believe me I would have refused. A pharmacist friend suggested a bad dose of the vaccine or it went straight to my bone...I think it is the latter because of my shoulder and arm pain.Good luck to all who are experiencing the same discomfort I am...
I am adding my experience in hope that CDC takes note of the many websites addressing the issue of flu shot pain. My shot was administered Nov 15, 2011 by employee health. I was unable to sleep that night due to upper arm pain and by the next day had lost function of upper arm. Pain severe. Couldn't open car door, exercise (push ups, weights)  Advil covers the pain fully but I take it only when severe to limit side effects.  Five weeks later I am beginning physical therapy. Therapist believes I have rotator cuff tendenotis and biceptical tendonitis.  She has recommended gentle stretch exercises and four weeks of therapy.

I am in enough pain Christmas eve morning to write this message rather than finish wrapping presents.  By the way, my primary care physician said she had not heard of this and asked her colleagues who agreed they had not either.  I handed her several pages of testimony from websites I explored.   I am in excellent health except for this post flu shot disability.This is a serious issue and if the administration of the shot is the problem, it should be addressed and the nurses given better training. Also perhaps people about to receive the flu shot should be handed a flier with instructions about proper placement of flu shot on the arm so they can be vigilant and speak up when the nurse is placing the injection incorrectly.
Excerpted from Department of Health and Human Services - Advisory Commission on Childhood Vaccines(ACCV), Sept. 3, 2010

"The commonalities in our cases, none of them had any prior shoulder injuries, they had all received a vaccination to which they had previously been exposed, all had relatively rapid onset of shoulder pain, the symptoms were limited to the shoulder, all had symptoms consistent with a local immune mediated inflammatory response, and all had limitation of range of motion of the shoulder with pain.

Some additional considerations – we don’t think it is due to any particular vaccination but rather one that the person has been exposed to before. We don’t think needle length is an issue in all cases considering that in our series the BMIs were all either elevated or normal, and there were no persons who were underweight. So thinking about the studies where they looked at BMI we don’t think that is the issue in our case. But we do think there is a strong possibility of improper vaccination technique.

We did also consider, although I don’t think we identified any in our cases in particular, that muscle mass may be an issue, especially in older female adults. One other thing that we considered when we looked at all of the diagnostic studies in our cases, with the abnormal MRI findings, is that many times patients can have either asymptomatic MRI findings, such as rotator cuff injuries or tears, that may predate the vaccination, and it may not be involved in the particular injury at the time or it may the condition may have been aggravated by the localized immune response.

So what we concluded was that vaccines can be unintentionally injected into tissues of the shoulder rather than the deltoid, either due to improper vaccination technique or to inappropriate needle length. And there is a potential for prolonged immune mediated reaction when the synovial joint tissue is exposed to the vaccine. As a result of this shoulder pain and dysfunction can occur from either improper vaccination technique or inappropriate needle length.

What we are recommending for consideration is during vaccination avoiding the upper third of the deltoid and that when the vaccination takes place the provider and the patient should be at the same level. If the provider is standing and the patient is seated there is a tendency to go further up aiming down. Preferably the patient should be seated, both should be seated, because syncopal or fainting episodes can occur – very common with vaccination.

So that would be the optimum way to have a vaccination occur.
The vaccination is not just a simple act and then it is done. We think what you should actually consider as well is that definitely the appropriate needle length based on BMI and perhaps in certain individuals you might even want to consider an alternate injection site, particularly if they have a low amount of muscle mass.

One additional thing was that the rheumatologist suggested was that the MRI and diagnostics should be performed prior to any steroid injections, because steroids are useful but they can actually cause harm. They can cause tissue atrophy and damage them themselves, so you would want to get a good picture of what is going on in the shoulder before injecting."  Comments by Dr. Sarah Atanasoff, Medical Officer, DVIC
The pain in my upper arm is very intense. The doctor said that the right bicep is tight and inflamed. The pain can move around and go into shoulder and the trapezius muscle. I also have scabs that form on my arm and the right side of my back. The doctor said maybe they are ingrown hairs. If so, why in just that one area? The flu shot was painful as soon as I received it. I was told to massage it. The pain in my arm has gotten more painful as time goes by. All of a sudden, I couldn't use my arm without horrible pain. This is almost 6 months after the flu shot. It is almost a year now. This morning I woke up with the thought that the pain in my arm could be from the flu shot I received in 2010. I searched 'flu shot in muscle causes pain' and this site came up. All of these people complaining about the same pain. What bothers me is it has gotten more painful over time and the pain is moving and the scabs are spreading. It seems to be getting worse rather than better and it is no longer localized. I was going to see an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI, but he will probably find inflammation and then what?-Pain pills and physical therapy.
So count me in.  This isn't a club that any of us would have joined if we'd had the chance to choose.  Within 2 hours of my pneumonia shot, the pain started.  The shot was administered WAY too high.  Felt like she was cramming the vaccine into a rock.  The pain is horrible, the use of the arm limited.  I am going to see an ortho doc tomorrow, but don't have much hope.  This is ridiculous.  I feel like a cripple!!  As soon as I try to do something, I pay handsomely with more pain.  HELP
I had similar experience after I had my flu shot, and accidently I found the affective treatment for my pain that lasted over six month.  I took Acetyl L- Carnitine 250 MG and you  MUST take Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 MG together 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner.  My experience was similar to all who had the flu shot, I had excruciating pain in my arm, shoulder, nick,  I had emergency visits to physiotherapy, I had the hot the ice treatment, I also took numerous pain killer but nothing helped. I am diabetic senior citizen woman and my doctor recommended that I get the flu shot which I never took  before.  For many reasons I always took charge of my own health including my diabetes which I reversed on my own and never depended on medical advice alone before I researched for additional opinion on line.  After loading up the syringe my doctor stuck the needle just somewhere in my arm like a shot in the dark without aiming at the right place which is about 6 inches down from the shoulder, immediately I felt sever pain I even screamed and complained to him why it hurts so much.  Soon after I started feeling the dilapidating pain and numbness in my arm, shoulder nick.  I purchased the vitamins on line from www.puritans.com  as part of my diabetic treatment.  Please note, I a retired Canadian senior citizen and do not work for this company.  Good luck to all, and let me know if my advice was helpful to you. Please research Acetyl L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid which is a great antioxidant.

Lisa
I recently had a rotator cuff surgery after a cycling accident, all better now. However I had a flu shot in November 2011 in my other arm and soon found it painful, several weeks later limited movement and it feels identical to my torn rotator cuff experience, same movement issues and identical pain. I could not figure out how I possible could have tore it, knowing the force that went into tearing mine durring the cycling accident.
I am shocked to read all of this, it will certainly cost me at least $1800 deducible to get imaging done to figure out what is wrong, I am not sure if anyone has gone back to where they got there shot and confronted them?
Received a flu shot 7 1/2 weeks ago and instantly thought it was given in a higher than usual location. Pain ensued and no relief in sight despite taking ibuprofen. Can't sleep at night because of the pain even when flat on my back. My husband, a physician, says the increased numbers of sufferers may be due to pharmacists,etc, giving the injection. I say this trauma was probably never  noted and followed especially since a higher majority of older women are sufferers. Perhaps shots should be given in the buttocks or thigh. I won't be getting another injection. PLEASE, all sufferers, FILE A REPORT with the gov't agency      http://vaers.hhs.gov/index    so that statistics can be filed and recommendations changed!!!!!!
I just got a tetanus shot two days ago. The MA gave me the shot right in my shoulder joint, not the muscle.  I've been in horrible pain since, can't get dressed, lift my arm.  My neck is stiff & sore. I've had chills, nausea, & fatigue. I know pain from the tetanus shot is common, but my concern is the actual placement of the shot. Any body have any ideas, suggestions, or advice?
I had my flu shot two weeks ago and for the first four days everything was fine but then this severe shoulder and back of the neck pain started. Like many others I can`t sleep on the side where the injection was given, and I can`t lie on my back or front either. I wake up every night in severe pain ( I`m typing this at 1-45am as something to do ) My doctor says the injection would not have caused this, but I can feel the pain in the injection area still and have not done anything physical which could have caused this. I have started having tests done - but nothing is showing up on them so far.
I am prescribed anti-inflams which help a bit, but am finding a really hot shower on the shoulder works the best to settle things down. I have had flu shots before with zero problems but with this continuing the way it is I will Never have another flu shot again.
I am surprised to read about so many who have had adverse effects. I've had many flu shots and never had any reaction quite like this recent one,so I'm thinking it must be the type of flu it's fighting. we never get the same flu-fighting cocktail.It's different each year based on what nasty virus is floating around. My grandkids are little human petri dishes so as I am 58 and more susceptible than before,I got the shot. I took off for vacation the next week having had very little reaction to the shot;mild drowsiness and slight fever on the first night.Then I forgot about it. 2 weeks later while wandering around Mexico,I had a sudden sharp pain in my right arm and actually cried out loud it was such a sharp sudden pain. I  thought I'd been stung by a bee. As I rubbed up and down ,I realized thet the whole muscle/tendons just under the skin was totally numb. The sharp sudden pain has happened many more times and feels more like a tearing muscle now than a sting. The only conclusion I ever came up with was that the pain starts at the immediate site of the flu injection from 1 month ago. The pain is less frequent,but my arm is still numb.
I received the flu shot 10 days ago. I have gotten the flu shot every year for as long as I can remember. This year, I got it done a a Rite Aid pharmacy thinking I would save on the copay. MISTAKE!  As soon as the needle was injectected, I felt tingling down through my elbow into my pinky finger. That day and the next day my arm hurt so bad that I couldn't lift my arm or touch it and struggled putting my shirts on/off.  The pain subsided, however 2 days ago, the pain returned  and now I can not lift my arm again.  
I have been giving injections myself for 11 years and I knew the shot was given too high in my shoulder. I don't know what to do now after reading all of these posts.   In an effort to save $15, I now pray I don't have any permanent damage to my nerve.
I know from experience of leaning on my elbow that the ulnar nerve, when it has been compressed, can cause tingling in the pinky.  I do hope you do not have permanent nerve damage from your injection also!
I'm 60. I've been getting the flu shot every year for many years. I have COPD. This year I had the flu shot in early September (at a local Walgreens). It is now October 3rd, about 4 weeks later. My shoulder still hurts and the range of motion is very limited because of the pain. Getting dressed, driving, etc are difficult without a lot of 'gnashing of teeth' pain and unpleasent words. Sleeping on it is excruciating. Trying to turn over in the middle of the night is true agony! I also feel, well, just plain lousy...like I'm running a low-grade fever, but I'm not. I went to the ER last week because I couldn't take the pain and the 'puny' feeling anymore. After blood work, EKG, xrays, and an MRI the diagnosis....'a virus of some sort' and they let me go.

I finally got in to see my primary care doc yesterday. After explaining the story of the flu shot, that I have never had any shoulder pain, EVER before, how lousy I feel, etc. he reviewed the tests they did at the hospital,  threw up has hands and said "I don't have a clue." After I showed him/demonstrated how the range of motion was limited, and where and how the pain was located he brought up the possibility of 'subdeltoid bursitis' and recommended that I see a Rhumatologist. That appointment is this coming Friday. Now, my own research has found a lot of references to this side effect that neither my primary care doc OR the folks in the ER either did not know about or just didn't want to consider. It's called S.I.R.V. which is:Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration. Here is a good reference site for info about the condition:
http://vactruth.com/2010/09/06/shoulder-injury-related-to-vaccine-administration/
...At least now I know I'm not alone, and NOT imagining things!
Follow-up:
Got in to the Rhumatologist this morning. He was not familiar with the term 'SIRV', or 'Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration,' but in his opinion the pain I am suffering IS due to improper administration of the flu shot that was probably given in the WRONG part of my arm -too far under and behind the deltoid muscle. He thinks a nerve was impinged during the injection. Diagnosis: Neuritis AND Bursitis. He prescribed a six-day course of Prednisone to relieve the inflammation and advised me to continue taking Acetaminophen. He also advised that from here on out that I get the flu shot, in my hip, at a my doctor's office and NOT a drug store! The other part of this which has still not been figured out and addressed to my satisfaction is...why do I still feel so damn lousy, lethargic and totally drained of energy?
Try taking 1000 mg of ester-C vitamin in the morning and a 1000 mg at night along with some zinc, and possibly even some Naturemade brand Sam-e  in the morning (for energy and mood) and see if you feel better?

Also, you might have your doctor make sure you are not feeling sluggish and lethargic because you are anemic, your potassium is low, your vitamin B 12 is low, or your thyroid function is sluggish.  

There is a risk with getting shots in your hip also... if not properly administered, a person can potentially wind up with some paralysis.  I say if you get a nurse in a doctor's office who knows how to administer the flu shot properly in the deltoid, it might be at least as well to get it there as in the hip.