WHAT CAN A CT SCAN VISUALIZE.
Went to the ER with chest pain which turned out to be reflux. In the process of ruling out heart a chest x-ray was done results were abnormal.
CT of thorax w/o contrast revealed what the radiologist states is a 2.3 x 2.9 cm lesion on the posterior of the third rib. States more likely an osteochondroma. I had a normal chest x-ray just
four months prior which he was unaware of
my main concern --nothing then -something now.
Can a CT scan detect what type of lesion is present. I read where oseochondromas are rare
in 70yr olds. I do have an appointment witha thoracic surgeon . Could an MRI tell what type
of lesion is present?
It would appear from a couple of sites I looked at a CT scan is one of the tools doctors use toward diagnosing osteochondroma (see private message).  An MRI, one site, indicates can be useful if the area is hard to picture by plain x-ray.  You likely got much better detail in the CT picturing of your ribs versus the plain x-ray you got in the past.
Have since had a consultation with my primary doc she said about the same thing you did. She showed me the past xray and the last one pointing out  the differences and in the last it was barely seen.
First one was while standing second one was in bed and not quite sitting up straight so the angle was different. Time will tell I got an appointment
with a thoracic surgeon next week at the Hershey medical center in Pa.
Wow, that was pretty fast for getting an appointment with the surgeon!  Let me know how your appointment goes?
I am in charge of the DAV Transportation (ambulatory medical transportation) here at the VA Medical Center in Lebanon, Pa
this VA is affiliated with Hershey Med. My job is to coordinate transportation to medical facilities for those who have no other way of
getting there. I have over 20,000 hrs of voluntary time invested in this
I just hope the Lord allows me to continue to help these unfortunate individuals. Most have cancer or are severly visually impaired or are suffering from post traumatic stress. I have too many people depending on me I cannot let them down.
I hope you are able to continue too, but if not, I know the Lord is able to raise up someone in your place to carry on the valuable work you are doing!  

It would appear that osteochondromas (if that's what it turns out to be) are non-cancerous and it's extremely rare that any cancer develops from them.