Senior Health Community
anal fissure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

anal fissure

what test and bloodwork does the doctor order for treating anal fissue
They take a look with a little scope and if they see one, they order treatment.  For me, they ordered Botox injections so that I would not strain when defecating to try to allow a chance for the fissure (which is close to the surface) to heal.  

I also used over the counter ointment containing zinc oxide (if you want to do this too, try to get the one with largest percentage of zinc oxide, even if it is labelled baby diaper rash ointment).

Staying deconstipated is important when you are trying to allow an anal fissure to heal.  If constipation and hard stools are issues for you, your doctor might mention something like Miralax or something else because you want your stools soft when you've got a fissure.
Oh, also, I don't recall them ordering any tests at all for my fissure, they saw it with their exam and prescribed treatment.  If you are bleeding a lot, you might ask for an iron panel and complete blood count to find out if you have developed anemia.
I to have a fissure.  I feel it is getting worse.  my medical doctor sent me to a specialist.  he glimpsed at me said I needed surgery,  the side effects of surgery would be an colostomy bag.  or loose complete use of my stool.  I said no way.  felt this is worse than what I am going through.  he told me to come back when I got tired of it.  I am doing about the same still get constipated  feels like my insides are trying to come out.  don't think I could live with an colostomy bag.  never.  mandy876
Are you taking anything to combat the constipation?  Getting plenty of fiber and water in your diet?  Have you tried botox injections?  
yes I have a high fiber diet.  I use fleet glycerine suppositories.  also I remembered something my mama Christian had told me years ago.  use mineral oil.  that helps a lot take a tablespoon once a day,  I mix it in my ice cream.  it has no taste then.  alone it tastes horrible. the doctor gave me some hydrocordone suppositories and some cream.  still have a problem.  I learned to handle it.
It sounds like since it is getting worse, even more needs to be done.  You really don't want to keep getting contamination into that open wound and into the blood stream.  I hope you get additional help for your fissure.  If you are interested, you might ask about Botox, which is supposed to help the muscles relax to give the fissure a better chance to heal along with keeping stools soft.  
what is botox injection and what would that do?  I am very interested.  mandy876
Botox is the same kind of medication (actually a mild form of poison, believe it or not) they use for cosmetic reasons on the face and also, some use it to treat migraines.  But a GI doctor also used it on me for an anal fissure.  

They inject it and it basically temporarily paralyzes/relaxes the muscles in your voluntary sphincter muscle in the case of anal fissure, so with that along with keeping your stools very soft so as to minimize scraping and straining, they are trying to give your body a chance to heal.  So, you might check with your local gastrointestinal doctors and see if anyone does the Botox injections for anal fissures and see if it could be tried in your case.  

If you also use a cream with a high zinc oxide content (I think I've seen baby diaper rash cream with as much as 40 percent in it before), that might also help things along.  Also, taking a high dose of ester- C vitamin orally (gentle on the stomach) to nurture healing with promoting circulation to the area, getting proper amounts of vitamin E and protein to promote tissue healing, and having low stress (high stress can impede the speed of healing) might help.
I am going tomorrow to get some zinc oxide.  I don't care what it is far as long as it works.  thank you.  my niece goes back to her plastic surgeon.  wonder if he would know about the injections?  would be kind of hard to talk to him about that.  I got to do something.
I hope you find it soothing- I know I have.  The plastic surgeon should know about Botox for cosmetic reasons at least, not sure if he would be familiar with how it's been used in the gastrointestinal doctor's realm.
thank you so much.  I went to the drug store the next day.  and it helped a lot.  I am sure it will keep improving with time.  I hope.  my niece had surgery on her arms with a [lastic surgeon  she has a cou[le of sots that want heal.  we are supposed to go in next week for him to check her out.  she probably have to have a few stitches to sew those 2 places back up.  she is so worried about it.  I will talk to him then.  thank you so much  mandy876
I'm glad it was helpful!

I hope your niece is starting to feel better and isn't worried now.  I imagine if she needs stitches, they would give shots to numb up before stitching.  I hope the surgeon will be able to give you an answer.