Senior Health Community
death signs after no iv fluids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

death signs after no iv fluids

my dad is 87 years old, he has chronic aspiration and dementia,  how long can he live without iv fluids, and no feeding tubes.  It is so hard watching this.
It must be very difficult to see your dad not able to get his nutrition and fluid intake the natural way and to see his dementia.  But as humans, we ought not be the ones to decide the precise way in how our parents are to die- God, the Giver and Taker of life, takes care of that in His own time.

Lack of nutrition can be quite painful.  And dehydration is a slow, agonizing way to die.  Look up poor Terri Schiavo to see how long she struggled to survive when the decision was made by her husband and a judge to kill her.

I do not have an answer to your question, but I will offer that to stop artificial/mechanical life sustaining efforts when there is no hope (this may be the more difficult question, when is there no hope) is different than "killing".  

I have a "living will" or whatever it is called.  My doctors have a copy as does my wife. In it I put a limit on the measures that should be taken to hold me in some limbo unconscious, but technically ot dead, state.  I can only hope I will not someday find myself in a helpless state and find I have changed my mind.  Given I have heart disease, is it more likely that I will pass away quickly.

My sympathy for you, your father, and all who have to suffer through this very difficult time.
To deny available hydration and nutrition when access to these things and a means of administration is available is to put one's self in the place of God.

A) Imagine if you were dying of thirst and starvation at the hands of another who had the means to prevent that pain.

B) Imagine yourself dying while being lovingly tended to by someone who tried to make you as comfortable as possible.

It's written on your heart what the right thing to do is.
Yes, my parents have a living will and did not want to be kept alive on a feeding tube or breathing machine.  Doctors notified us that he was aspirating on water any thing to eat and a feeding tube would cause him to aspirate also.  Yes he died from the pneumonia, I just was asking the question.  I did not kill my dad.  Thanks for your comments.
I didn't try to deprive my dad, I tried to keep his wishes and did what the dr advised we do, according to his condition.  
sorry, new to this site, I didn't think this was the best answer that I got,  it made me feel worse, abiding by my parents decision.  My dad's condition had gotten so bad with the pneumonia, etc that he was going down hill, I was not trying to be God.  
I'm sorry for your loss of your dad.  I know it must have been very hard with the pneumonia for him and hard for you too, along with his additional suffering, which went according to his living will.

I'm so sorry I misinterpreted your initial post as an inquiry based on a decision you personally were involved in considering.  I hope you can forgive me.  

I do, thanks for your kind words.  I miss him very much.  
Thank you.  Did you live under the same roof?  I live with my parents and know I would deeply miss them if they were to pass before me.