Senior Health Community
high blood pressure and low hemoglobin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

high blood pressure and low hemoglobin

Some history:   My 74 year old mother who has been very healthy her whole life, was diagnosed as having high blood pressure (160's/90's) last year.  Prior to this, she had never had any problems with hypertension.  She has tried to control it with diet (low sodium) and has been moderately successful (BP varies: the last time she gave blood it was 125/80something, but was 160/85 at a recent doctors appointment).  At that same dr's appointment, she was found to have low hemoglobin (10).  Her doctor prescribed iron and had her do a stool sample (she has not received the results yet).  My question:  What relationship, if any, is there between high blood pressure and low hemoglobin?
Well, low hemoglobin can cause high blood pressure. The reason is this. Within the two carotid arteries in the neck are receptors that measure the unit volume of oxygen per minute going to the brain. The oxygen is transported by the red blood cells. A hemoglobin deficiency means a reduced oxygen carrying capacity. To maintain oxygenation more fluid must flow past the sensors per unit time, and this is accomploished by signals to the heart and blood vessels to increase the blood pressure.
my mon has low hemoglobin, she is 82. Her level is at 8.6.. What is the best recomendation you can give me??
my blood presure is 220 /100 in i have a low hemoglobin.i just read now,from your comment that the cause sometime of highblood is low hemoglobin..my question is what drugs is the best.im 50yrs old now.i had all my lab,exam but they fpound nothing only my hemoglobin is low..im taking losartan n blood goes down to 160/90..but sometimes it goes up..im worried..
As the age grows up of a person then the immunity power of the body become low.This is common symptom she will recover soon.Don't worry
I have been diagnosed with raised blood pressure and anemia, I am not overweight 11st 4oz, and I go to the gym 5 times a week, I don't smoke and have a glass of wine maybe twice a week. I have been taking a soluable iron suppliment Spatone for 6 weeks now and I have a blood test due shortly so it will be interesting to see if my blood pressure has reduced as a result of the iron intake. I dont eat red meat so I guess I am on the soluable iron supplement from here on.
http://www.promotionalpersonalisedgifts.co.uk/
Anemia and abnormal hemoglobin levels will result in elevated blood pressure. The answer is not so simple. It is not only a matter of taking iron supplements. A consult with a hematologist is essential. There are many causes of low hemoglobin, including leukemia. Pressure over 200 is classified as an "acute hypertensive crisis" and you are dangerously close to blowing a blood vessel in the brain. Not a good situation. Such a blood pressure reading is grounds for a 911 call and immediate transport to an ER for diagnosis and treatment. There are many treatments to lower pressure in an emergency available to a physician. It is foolish to risk a stroke and possible  paralysis or blindness. I am disturbed by "off the cuff nonsense" about "the immunity power decreasing with age and you will be all right". Such advice will get somebody killed. Blood pressure readings over 200 are grounds for IMMEDIATE hospitalization. Do not pass go. Do not collect two hundred dollars.
Your article is very nice & beneficial for all, your blog has good information, your blog is giving the huge beneficial information to all people, I very appreciate to your blog article, I read your blog article seriously, and I got huge health care information, I am very satisfied with your blog article, I sure there is no one any blog has this type blog article, and blood pressure problems are very bad for the world and you give the information about it, how to keep safe our life, how to stop it, you mentioned it in the blog article, so I would like to say thanks to you to post this blog article.
http://www.healthgenie.in/home-care/bp-monitors