Senior Health Community
knee replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

knee replacement

can one run after a knee replacement?
Hello Paxpax,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum.

You've asked a good question. I think the answer varies. Do you run now? It's like the woman that was about to have surgery on her wrist. She asked her doctor if she could play the piano after surgery, he replied, "Certainly." The patient said, "Wonderful. I've never been able to play in the past." :o)  (Sorry I couldn't resist.)

All kidding aside if you are active and running now you should be able to continue after surgery. Granted it will depend on the device inserted, how you respond to the surgery and the extent of rehab following it. Obviously it will take some time. It may also affect your speed and endurance but this is something that needs to be discussed with your surgeon.

I hope you will share with us the outcome of your TKR. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Best of Luck and Take Care,
~Tuck
thanks for your answer, not the terrible old joke.
I am not a great runner but do enjoy it and its one of the exercises that I enjoy,plus swimming,so just wondered if it is possible.

looks like I'll  have to wait to see the consultant when I see him about the other knee- happy days.

paxpax