leg cramps
I have been having cramps in my lower legs for several years. I am 75. None of my doctors seem to take it seriously.  The past few nights the cramps have intensified and last night involved the whole leg up to the buttocks.  There is a pattern:  one leg gets involved, intensifies, then it moves to the other leg which does the same thing.  Then the cramping releases a bit and starts all over again a few seconds later.  This lasts about 5 minutes.  I go back to bed (I have to stand up to try to control the spasms), and within an hour it starts again.  I take Mirapex and Lyrica, but they don't help.

I want to know the cause so I can treat it.  A brain chemical?  Mineral deficiency?  Comments, please.  
I have leg cramps in lower leg just before rising in the AM usually.  I have been told to make sure my intake of potassium is sufficient.  However, not sure that is a complete fix.
Pat
I can truly relate to what you are going through. I had a total thyroidectomy in Sept 1910. A couple of months later, I started to have cramps in my feet, and legs. Sometimes, it would be so severe, that I would have to jump out of bed and walk. One night while out, my whole body went into severe pain and cramping. I started on Calcium, Magnesium and vitamin D. It has improved immensely. I no longer have the awful cramping in my feet and legs. I would suggest anyone with the symptoms that you mentioned to at least try it.
I also had a total thyoidectomy in 2008.  I don't believe my leg cramps (I call them charlie horses) are worse since then.  However, cannot say the same for the wgt. gain but that is another issue.