Aa
A
A
Close
leg cramps
I have been having cramps in my lower legs for several years. I am 75. None of my doctors seem to take it seriously.  The past few nights the cramps have intensified and last night involved the whole leg up to the buttocks.  There is a pattern:  one leg gets involved, intensifies, then it moves to the other leg which does the same thing.  Then the cramping releases a bit and starts all over again a few seconds later.  This lasts about 5 minutes.  I go back to bed (I have to stand up to try to control the spasms), and within an hour it starts again.  I take Mirapex and Lyrica, but they don't help.

I want to know the cause so I can treat it.  A brain chemical?  Mineral deficiency?  Comments, please.  
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1026267 tn?1257594873
I have leg cramps in lower leg just before rising in the AM usually.  I have been told to make sure my intake of potassium is sufficient.  However, not sure that is a complete fix.
Pat
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1569091 tn?1295812151
I can truly relate to what you are going through. I had a total thyroidectomy in Sept 1910. A couple of months later, I started to have cramps in my feet, and legs. Sometimes, it would be so severe, that I would have to jump out of bed and walk. One night while out, my whole body went into severe pain and cramping. I started on Calcium, Magnesium and vitamin D. It has improved immensely. I no longer have the awful cramping in my feet and legs. I would suggest anyone with the symptoms that you mentioned to at least try it.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1026267 tn?1257594873
I also had a total thyoidectomy in 2008.  I don't believe my leg cramps (I call them charlie horses) are worse since then.  However, cannot say the same for the wgt. gain but that is another issue.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Senior Health Community Resources