Senior Health Community
post heart attack and smoking marijuana

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

post heart attack and smoking marijuana

After mitral valve replacement w/pig valve and then short (5 min.) stroke that cleared itself out, scan showed my 65 yr. old husband had a bleeder in his right temporal lobe that had already resolved.  He has chronic fibrillation and is facing Coumadin long term and internal device for restarting heart and pacemaker device.  Question, what effect will happen now that he has resumed smoking pot?  The mitral valve replacement was an emergency on 12/24/11 after his coronary artery had been completely blocked and the dying tissue of his heart wall pulled on the valve and tore it.
Hi there!

Marijuana can affect cardiac rhythm causing fibrillation which could be responsible for embolic type of strokes and may cause increased blood pressure (responsible for bleed type strokes). It can also lead to inflammation around the replaced valve causing complication and affect the metabolism of drugs/ medications making the situation dangerous At this stage I would suggest trying to motivate him verbally to leave pot and joining a de-addiction organization. If his fails, you may consider discussing the situation with his treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
i have a 23 year old granddaughter that just had pig valves .is it dangerous for her to smoke pot
Since this is a patient community forum and this is an old thread, it's possible the doctor won't respond, but yes, even if your granddaughter didn't have those valves, it is dangerous for her to smoke pot.  See private message for more information.

I recently watched a Dragnet episode where a young couple thought smoking marijuana was not a problem.  They had a little girl (still the age for a play pen).  They were busy smoking one day when the police came to talk and the young parents started wondering where their daughter had gotten to.  Tragedy is what happened- their daughter was discovered in bathroom, bathtub full of water, drowned and the parents were grief-stricken.

I'm glad you are concerned about your granddaughter.