Senior Health Community
recovery from sepsis , head pain ,fatigue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

Hi not sure if I am posting inthe right place, but.... I recently had sepsis was taken to emergency and spent some time in ICU , had a close call, with very low bp, kidneys failing hallucinations etc etc. I pulled through and am home now. I have been resting for nearly 3 weeks and am not feeling myself. I have head pain, pain behind my left eye , general fatigue and have had a couple incidents of memory loss. ie; i could not remember my street address. I am still unable to go through a normal schedule for a day and have maybe a 2 hr window of energy in the mornig before needing to lay down again. what is going on, what can I do to recouperate faster. the doctor has recommended I see a neurologist. I am frightened, normally a very active, healthy 42 yr old woman. I have had ct scan, ekg, chest xray etc etc while inhospital and nothing was showing of concern. please share info, help, advice.
It took Swampy's mom nearly a year to recover from a very similar episode, but she did eventually recover fully.

Look carefully at your prescription medications, make certain that your body is metabolising them at a reasonable rate.

Get your endocrine system checked, tiredness can be caused by hormones out of whack.

Make certain the infection doesn't come back. It may not come back in your blood but it could reappear elsewhere (or you could get a new infection because your body is a little weaker).

Good luck to you. What a frightening thing.
Swampcritter always gives good advice, especially in this post about the endochrine system check.

It is impossible for me to know exactly what is going on with you.

That being said, this is some background on systemic infections. As  massive bacterial infections are overcome by therapeutic intervention, the by products of the destruction are neurotoxins, which damage brain cells. Organs are damaged, including the pituitary, which controls production of many hormones.

These take along time to get out of the system. And in some cases do damage that cannot be rectified.

That being said, the brain is a reduntant organism, and time is the best healer. Together with clean living and good nutrition and plenty of sunlight.

I do not want to discourage you from seeing a neurologist, but there is little that can be done in these cases except "watchful waiting".

The bad news is that these infections encapsulate, and often they are never entirely gone from the body. They can hide under the gums behind the teeth, in the bones....almost anywhere. Therefore a top priority for you is to keep your immune system up-to--speed.

In the future do not agree to a CT, an obsolete procedure, Instead, if necessary, insist of a "3T"MRI.

Do this with a hour of sunlight exposure a day, moderate exercise, good control of blood sugar,  a D-3 supplement, 1000 mg a day of omega-3 fish oil, a sub-lingual B-12 supplement with folic acid,  co-enzyme Q-10 (250 mg a day), and a daily quality vitamin pill.

You have my sympathies.

Great info...I'm a 47 year old male that had sepsis and multi-organ failure.
I'm a trainer and am having a hard time with this slow recovery...I was in the ER Dec. 12 and out Dec 24, 2009. When I entered the ER, my bp was 60/40, hr 184 and a fever of 104.5. They thought that I wouldn't make it. So glad that I did! It is now Feb 16, 2010. Any idea what kind of recovery time I should expect? I feel that that I am 50 plus % of my old self right now...please advise.

Thank you!
I am a 45 year old female, December 07 early december was hospitalized with sepsis.  I am still recovering, I still do not have the same stamina.
Rest, take lots of vitamins.....keep pushing yourself a little more each month.  This is one of the worst experiences one can have in life.

Bye!
I am sorry to hear that you had sepsis also. It takes so much out of a person.

I had a MVA some years ago with huge multiple internal injuries.  I became septic five times over the course of four months. Once my abdominal wounds were able to be closed (after 2 months) I still had a severed ureter and a nephrostomy tube through my back and into my right kidney. Finally they were able to repair the ureter after four months and the bouts of sepsis ended. There were many moments I would have welcomed death.

Sepsis can put a huge drain on your body systems. It often requires months to return to your previous strength and endurance levels. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't demand too much of yourself. Allow you body time to heal and recover.

A consult with a nutritionist and or dietitian may be helpful. I personally don't recommend supplements because what one person requires may not be what another requires. In my opinion you should avoid too many or too high of a dose of supplements. Some vitamins and most minerals are fat soluble and are stored in your body rather than secreted. These storage levels can reach toxic levels and do more harm than good. Water soluble vitamins such as Vit C are not stored, if you take more than you require you body quickly dumps it through your kidneys.

Rest when you are fatigued. Don't over stress your body. Be good to yourself. I know it may be difficult but be patient, let your systems recuperate.

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Take Care,
~Tuck~
thanks for your response to sepsis condition.  i was in the hospital 7 2008 in a coma for 3.5 days and the icu for 4 days.  My heart tripled in size and all organs began to shut down.  and then they responded and came back to life as quickly as they "died"  i am under the care of an endocrinologist and i am scheduled to see a pulminologist in 2 weeks.
i lost 60 pounds and i am still on blood pressure meds and diabetes.  my problem is i am always tired but not sleepy.  i have started vitamins, wheat grass juice to no avail.  thanks for your help i wanted to join any test sights to make it better for others.  ken.***@****
Hello I just returned from the hospital after sepsis. A kidney stone had blocked the kidney.

I'm ecstatic to be alive but am quite curious to recovery times. I still have a tube in my kidney that should be removed next week. I was in ICU about 10 days ago. I first made a lot of quick improvements after that it seems very slow.

My whole body is aching and hands and feet keep getting very cold and I get lots of headaches. Also my lung capacity is about 30%.  Is all this normal?  And any ideas on how long it takes to recover?

( I'm a 42 year old woman, relatively fit prior to this)
I waw admitted on 7/18 to the ICU for 6 days and a total stay of 14 days. It has now been over a month and I am not well did not feel well when dischargee. I also had a two day admit after discharge due to irregular heartbeat. I had a tube put in my kidney but my urologest does not think that was the cause of the infection of gram negative ecoli sepsis. I just turned 49 years old.
I am a nurse and have been learning about the inflqammitory multi system failure SIRS and also have learned this thing has a 6 month mortality rate that is pretty high due to complications of the havoc reaked even though there might not be an infection still present.
Im sick of not feeling good, its depressing and I feel like a winer. my joints ache still have flank pain am tired have anxiety and insomnia just to mention a few things. Maybe we could talk. SUE
Hello Suesue,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. I am so very sorry to hear about your condition. I am doubtful that the above posters are monitoring the forum but if they are I hope that they will join the discussion.

I too have had sepsis. I think the total number was six times. I had a MVA that ripped open my small intestines and I became septic very quickly. At the same time my right ureter was severed and a nephrostomy in place for five months. The nephrostomy caused repeated sepsis. So I wonder if you aren't becoming septic for the same reason. Do you still have a nephrostomy?

I think you are talking about systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS)
which is an inflammatory state that effects the whole body. However I thought this mostly occurred when a sepsis was active.  

I didn't feel good for a very long time. The fatigue played me for months. If I recall I didn't return to "normal" for almost a year following the removal of nephrostomy tube and ureter repair.

You are not a whiner. When we are ill for long periods of time or have chronic pain it can cause situational depression. You may be suffering from some depression and you have every right to feel the way you do.  

Have you actually had any lung volume/capacity testing? Or does it just feel like you only have 30%?

If you are concerned about your symptoms, as I would be, I would seek a second opinion or even a third or fourth. Are you taking medications that could account for the way you feel?

Please let us know how you are feeling.

My Best to You,
~Tuck
I have recently gotten out of the hospital and was diagnosed with Sepsis. My kidney function was down to 1 and my blood pressure had bottomed out. I had a Nerve block and was told that the infection was due to a bacterial infection from this. I lost bladder control, was hallucinating and the pain in my leg was excruciating. i felt as if my thigh was going to explode. I was given dilauded every 3 hours without any success of relief. I have spurts of energy followed by periods of extreme fatigue. I wasn't told that the infection encapsilated and stayed in your body. This in it's self is very scary.  The pain was so horrible I begged for death. This is a horrible condition and the thought of it happening again is horrifying to me.
I was 19 years old when I flew from America to Hungary (on my own, no medical insurance) for an ACL reconstruction in January 2007.  In the US it would have been $25,000.  The operation was done perfectly but the morning after, I noticed alot of pain, and any time I moved, I was in tears.  After about 1 week, the pain became much worse.

After being flown back to the US, 2 ER visits and an ambulance ride, it still wasn't revealed to me what the issue was.  It wasn't until a visit with an orthopaedic speacialist in March 2007, that I was told that I had sepsis infection.  The specialist asked me why I never came to the hospital, and that didn't I understand I was very sick and should have died.  I told him I had come 3 times, but never was told what was wrong with me, despite the huge gaping wound in my right seeping puss for nearly 3 months.

He operated on me and then I had a PICC line put in my arm to fight the infection.  I mostly slept from March until about May and I don't remember much of my summer.  In June, they broke my leg to give me motion, which I lost nearly all of shortly after.

I can't believe all of this would have been avoided if a nurse or doctor with a brain would have said, ''You have an infection, perhaps we should treat you.''   Apparently, no one thinks my case has merit despite my medical notes clearly stating I had an infection.  They blamed the fact that I had been in Hungary, stating that they should have done something about it...the fact of the matter was, my symptoms weren't as bad until I returned to the US.  Regardless, if I go to the hospital with a problem (no matter where it started), they have a duty to treat me.  

Now I'm married and have moved to the UK, and am 23, still dealing with a really pathetic lifestyle.  I can't ride a bike, because I don't have enough motion in my disastrous knee ravaged by sepsis.  I am lucky to walk up the stairs and not look like a waddling duck, and my husband has never known me to be able to run and jump and skip.  I am lucky to be alive, and I am so grateful to the specialist who saved my life.

I think I just needed to vent....I haven't had a chance to really tell my story.  

Bless you all. xx Maddy

Not sure if this will help.  Had a hip replacement in May.  Was home ten days when started feeling bad.  Went to emergency room at 4 in the afternoon and by midnight they were ready to pronounce me as -------. Fever was 105.8 and I was in a coma. They found this strange young doctor who placed me in hospital and set up a team with disease and control people, neurologists and he was a urologist that does mini surgery(?)  After ten days in ICU including ice beds and and all sorts of stuff, my fever started to break. They had operated on my kidney and placed drains in them.  As soon as i asked for a glass of chicken broth he said he knew I was saved and would live for no one who is dying asks for food. Several more days in ICU and then off to hospital room where I found out I had peripheral neuruopathy--I couldn't walk the pain was so bad.  Ny urologist was cool and said we had just had too many drugs and to let the lines clean and see what would happen.  Sure enough ten days later pain was gone and I was walking the best I could with artificial hip.  Sine then I have had four kidney operations  to remove stones that had been there forever.  Each surgery was worse and worse and my recovery was harder and harder. Just had my last stent taken out this past Monday.  I am excited.  I have no strength and use a cane for a walker .  Prefice this to say I wasa hand to had combat instructor before this and in great shape.  I have a bunch of physician friends, several who cut on me. They all said they same thing.  Your body has been through a horrible shock.  Your organs are damaged and trying to heal.  Take your time and just heal a little at a time.  And be happy you area live. I sure am.  Every morning i get up, heave a sigh and then take my first step toards another day of recovery..
My dad is in ICU right now with sepsis. He had liver stones, (they are like gallstones but in a different place) which were removed in an operation but they also found lots of puss, hence the sepsis. Right now he can't wake up, is on a breathing tube and is having heart palpitations. This is the second time he has had sepsis and I am afraid that he may not make it through this time. Your letters have given me a small amount of hope, thankyou.
I'm a 61 year old woman,  Had a kidney stone removed Feb 15.  Went well.  Went home same day.  On Feb 16, started having problems breathing and developed a fever.  Hospital soon determined I had severe Sepsis.  With the help of bags and bags of saline solution, and antibiotics I left ICU after four days and spent the next five days in a regular room.  I didn't leave alone...but with very low blood pressure, pneumonia, E-Coli, yeast infection and constant pain in my left flank.    I have lots of headaches, am despressed, weepy and can't sleep despite being very exhausted.  My limbs flucuate from feeling like dead weights to feeling as weak as a kitten.  Every litlte exertion causes panting and a feeling of panic.
I've been home from hospital for nearly two weeks.  I feel as weak as a baby.  I'm scared it could come back.  I'm afraid to go to sleep.  

When does it start getting better?
MY HUBBY JUST OUT OF HOSP. AND IN NURSING HOME/REHAB AFTER A SEVERE BOUT OF SEPSIS.  STARTED WITH PROBABLE ABSCESSED WISDOM TOOTH, WHICH HE HAD NO PAIN IN.  SEPSIS WENT TO ARTIFICIAL HIP.  THAT WAS REMOVED IN HOSP. AND A TEMP ARTIFICIAL HIP WAS PUT IN.   HE HAD SOME ORGAN PROBLEMS BUT THEY HAVE CLEARED.  HE HAD HIS ARTIFICIAL HIP FOR 8 YR.   I GUESS THIS WAS QUITE A RARE OCCURRANCE.  HE WILL HAVE IV ANTIOTIC X 8 WK., THEN AFTER 6 MO.MAY GET NEW HIP.   HE IS SO TIRED AND WEAK.  HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A VERY TOUGH MAN BUT THIS REALLY TOOK A TOLL ON HIM.  NOT SURE OF THE PROGNOSIS AS THIS HAPPENED 11 DAYS AGO.  HE SPENT 9 DAYS IN HOSP.      GORDON
I had sepsis Jan 2010. It's been a long painful rd! I hate to tell you but I'm 17 months out and still feel awful! I've had +++ systemic pain for all that time, my bloodwork is out of whack showing really high ESR which is a pain indicator and to top it off I just got out of the hospital again after being treated for severe Pulmonary embolisms! (blood clots in the tissue of the lungs) I had to go on celexa to help with my depression with being sick so long, The Dr's aren't sure why I'm still so sick, which is frustrating but I try to look on the bright side at least I survived it, many don't! You're feelings are real and believe me there are others out there going through the same thing. Everyones recovery is different. Hang in there and talk to your dr about going on something, just for a while, to help you deal with this! It's a large insult to your body and your mind and you need time and help to deal with it. Good luck
catscrazyx3
There's a useful article on the subject here:
http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl2120/stories/20041008001708600.htm

My partner has just recovered from Sepsis caused by a staph infection in his replaced knee which wasn't responding to IV antibiotics so he was operated on to remove the infected material.

Unfortunately, he then contracted pneumonia and then sepsis set in within 72 hours and he spend 4 days in ICU. After 5 weeks in hospital he's now home but very week and he is a bit confused but lucky to be alive, I believe.
I had Sepsis in Sept 2010, i wish there was more information for people who have survived, It really is a long difficult road of recovery, there just doesnt seem to be much info out there.  No one told me I was going to lose all of my hair, its just a wait and see what happens to you kind of thing.

Still very tired, only have about 3-4 hours before needing to rest or nap, its hard to keep up with 4 young boys.  Still happy to have survived, only lost my toe tips (and my hair)   I guess us survivors just have a new reality to get used to.
can someone out there help me. i have been hospitalized with sepsis three times since april. again july 7th and again july 21st. the first two times they said it was uro sepsis, treated with antibiotics for that, did not work, and on july 21 an infectious disease dr. got on my case, did 8 tests, nothing showing.  blood cultures not growing anything, nor is urine, but i come in extremely ill. symptoms and always the same, sudden onset of chills, nausea, sudden severe back pain, and then weakness, and low blood pressure, i can barely walk into the emerg. lots and lots of antibiotics and saline, am home on oral, still trying to figure out the source, i am so afraid to be off med. it can happen a 4th time, cannot take that.  has anyone else had this, i do not know where to turn from here, am still under the care of specialist, am seeing him in two weeks. judy from toronto.
Hi Judy,

This is an old thread by another member. It's customary to begin a new thread when you have a question. It should bring you quicker and more suggestions and responses.

However I couldn't help but hear your concern and frustration in your post and my heart goes out to you. Some years ago I had Sepsis three times within a six week period. I knew the source. I had a tube inserted into my kidney for drainage following a severed ureter from a MVA.  I know how very ill Sepsis can make you and the energy that it drains from you system. The third time I was DX and the hospital called me to return for treatment I cried with my head on my husband's shoulder and said, Please don't take me back to the hospital, just let me die here... I can't take this anymore." I know your frustration. I too was so weak I could barely ambulate to the bathroom. This information doesn't help you. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I've been there and I am guessing there are others like us.

Obviously it would be comforting or reassuring to find the source of the Sepsis. This could be a fluke and never return and you will never know the true source. Many different microbes can cause sepsis. Although bacteria are most commonly the cause, viruses and fungi can also cause sepsis. Pneumonia, Urinary Track Infections (UTI), a skin infection called cellulitis, untreated appendicitis, and many other areas of the body can produce these microbes that  can spread and lead to sepsis. Even an post-op infection can lead to Sepsis..... including something as simple as a wart removal.

Sepsis can even result from something as seemingly harmless as a scraped knee or nicked cuticle during a manicure. Once your immune system is compromised (such as after you have had continued bouts of Sepsis) it can return more quickly then to healthier adults. This may be what is going on with you. If ONE bacteria was left after the initial Sepsis it just took time to multiply and gain strength to attack your system again.  

So in the end it may not be important where the Sepsis originated.... now the it's just important to be sure it does not reoccur. I hope you are under the care of an excellent physician that is associated with a large teaching facility.... or a nationally know clinic. If not I encourage you to seek a second opinion.

I had thee very best care from a very prominent and well known Infectious Disease Physician had it been otherwise I am not so certain I would have be here today.

Please Judy keep in touch. Next time you post please begin a new thread (Question) so I and others won't miss it. I wish you the very best and will look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck
hi i suffered with sepsis last year after a surgery for a fibroid embolization during that time i had a transfusion of blood and began to bleed irregularly for over 90 days and was rushed to er for a high fever anxiety and low blood count drs pumped me with antibiotics and blood transfusion i went into shock and was off for 3moths and today im still suffering the effects the body just needs rest and i still need transfusions and yes see nothing wrong on test most drs will suggest antidepressants for what you feel and still have numbness pains blackouts but it gets better
My husband had a 3rd procedure for stones in the bile ducts of his liver. They formed there since he has no gallbladder. 4 day's later I took him to the ER and he was admitted with sepsis, C-dif and 2 abcesses on his liver. He was in ICU 2 weeks,the first few days he hallucinated. Then he was in telementary for 1 week. He was moved to a rehab center almost 2 weeks ago. He has 2 drains in his liver that drain the infection into bags outside his body. They may be removed this week. He is still on antibiotics and will be till October. He is getting physical therapy and although still pretty weak he is doing much better. What I don't understand is that he seems to have a hard time talking. Did anyone else have that problem? Seems like a very slow recovery...
In late January 2011 I had a small hernia repair.  Three days later I was admitted to ICU from the ER with Sepsis.
I was in ICU for 9 days and the doctor said the if 10 were death, I was a 9.  
My kidneys, liver and almost everything else except my heart shut down.  I was on 24 hour a day dialysis.  After ICU I spent a week being nursed back by the incredible staff.  I was then released to a nursing/recovery home for 10 days where I learned to walk aagain and to swallow.  I am still, today, extremely weak and must walk with a cane.  I am 73 years old and can't believe I'm still here to love all the people who loved me through this horrible experience.  Like most of you I hsd hallucinations---at one point I thought I was Barbara Walters!  Anyway, I am still recovering and can do 1 or two things a day outside of the house.  We are all a bunch of incredible survivors
My girlfriend has sepsis and is laying next to me now saying she feels different. Slight fever she just got over. She has not been to icu but has been referred to there she will not go of course. What are some suggestions for her to getting and staying healthy 29 yr old female..
Hi, I contracted sepsis from progression of a staph infection and still in the process of recovery.  When I was admitted to the hospital a second time, I had a hard time speaking and was frustrated that I wasn't able to communicate with the doctors.  Still don't know why my speech was affected?  I'm left with a lot of unanswered questions.  Still don't feel right, now over one month of being discharged from the hospital.  I'm 35 years old, a strong and healthy individual before I contracted this bacterial infection and it completely levelled me.  Never in my lifetime have I experienced this kind of illness, and sympathize with all who have gone through this and live to tell their story.

God bless you all and wish you a speedy recovery!
was put in an induced coma for pneumonia and sepsis for 8 days. woke up , did real well and came home 2 days later. thought I would be back to normal in a few days but that certainly has not happened. I wake up feeling great and within a few hours get very achey (achy) and tired. am used to being very busy and active.
curious to know how long it will be till I am 100%
It's been 11 years.  I'm still weak. Hundreds of Thousands of dollars in debt.
Sick, don't think the same, look the same but I'm alive.  Have trouble chewing, the speaking has gotten better.  I use sensory tricks to swallow.  
I was really kicked out of ICU after a few days on IV antibiotics and saved myself. I got injections. My heart was out of beat for a few years.
I was 53 when it happened. Cellulitis. The Drs. would not admit me to the hosptial, So I flew to another state and was in ICU for 2 days and antibitocs for about 2. My arm blew up as big as a foot ball. I was a jogger before.
I tell no one. Esp. doctors. What would I say?; they didn't want me and kicked me out to die?  TG I have an infectious disease female specialist now.
None of them know anything about me surviving septic shock.
I have just now applied for SSDI. Hopefully, some of these doctors will realize just how sick I've been. I don't wish I had have died, but now that I'm older I am not afraid of anything but the pain from the infection.
I get IV antibiotics now for Kidney infections, never had that before.
I think it destroyed every organ in my body. I still can't back up a car, and I can't see hardly at all. I sure hope I get SSDI because I am running out of money.  The people that I grew up with don't even recognize me. It's eerie.
I'm here but not the same.

Nightmare In Texas  
Hi  I have a 29 year old daughter. Went in to emerg. 12/19 and was put on a paralytic for 5 days 3 day to wake up. She also had muti organ failure. 15 ltrs. of fluids and antibiotics. she blew up like a balloon, thank god she is still here.she woke up on 28th. Now on lacix for fluids. some meds. for broncs. was down to 28% oxg. 5 peeps. rspr. 40-47 She has trach. tube and ventilator. (Family learned how to read lips, she seemed to be doing well. jokes, smiles.) Doc. tried to ween her from vent.on the 2nd now she is back up to 95% 10 peeps rspr. 45-55 . Family can't even touch our talk to her for the last two days.Doc say it is cause she is irritated by all the activity but for the last two day the rspr 40-60 just as high saw them myself and Now is on 3 diff sedatives to slow rspr. doc.say's she has critically damaged lungs but yet no signs of infection of any kind showing up in cultures.  This is my problem  what changed? went from friendly open door answer questions i.c.u. room. To lights out curtin drawn talk to doc. Not sure what this means. please help me understand if anyone can.
This sounds familiar. My 85 year old grandpa who is very strong is coming home with Hospice Care after a two week stay in the ICU. He was misdiagnosed three times before being sent to a specialist that found the strep bacteria by chance. They won't continue antibiotics and he just wants to be home. This has been a horrible experience. I wish that more people were informed about this illness. I had no idea that it stayed hidden in your body and that it could flare up. He survived this twice before and the doctors said that they won't do anymore. This seems so unfair to me and I don't want to give up.
Wow, I came on here to see how long it takes to recover from this and came across all your stories. I had no idea about this stuff until I got it. I was put in to a coma for 3 weeks (25 days) breathing machine, multi organ shut down, ecoli, 103 fever, removed my appendix (sp?).... my family was told I wasn't going to make it. Was in the ICU for 6 weeks. This all started August 28th 2011, I'm still very sore, don't think the same...slower, memory loss, fatigue, leg, hip and shoulder pain, very weak. I'm 46 yrs old and was pretty active prior to my illness, gym, softball, basketball, golf, boating, fishing.... I have no energy or strength for any of that now..... I have been going to the gym to keep my joints moving but the pain makes me wonder if it's worth it... I guess everyone recovers differently but I'm fed up with this already and can't get an answer from the doctors, they just keep saying "You were very sick" I don't blame them but I just wish I knew how long this is going to go on. Like the rest of you, I'm happy to be alive and wish you all a full recovery!!!
I was diagnosed with sepsis on Dec 16, 2011. They don't know where it started but it landed in one of my artificial knees.  I have never been so sick. I am on home IV and oral antibiotics now. I keep trying to go back to my regular life, but I get so exhausted.  I am also struggling with depression.  Part of that depression is about my future.  I don't know how I got this, and i don't know when it might come back.  I also don't know if I am going to get to keep my knee joint.  I am glad to have found you all.
Thank you all for your stories. My 93 year old dad had a bout of sepsis they believe started with a UTI. There does seem to be so many variable to recover. Dad will be released in 2 days to where I still don't know. Doc says at his age recovery will be snail paced. I'm guessing the severity of the sepsis and the age and health of the patient would all factor in. My daughters 15 yr old very athletic friend had sepsis over the summer and took a full 2 months to get even near back to baseline. They never did figure the source which bugged her mom no end.  Scary business that sepsis and can happen to anyone.
I am 47 years old and was diagnosed on Dec. 16. 2011 with a blood clot, sent home and 2 days later I was taken by ambulance to the ER. I had a 105 fever and my blood pressure was nil. I was diagnosed with Sepsis with acute renal failure. I was admitted to ICU for a day and then in the hospital for 7 days. I had a blood transfusion, 4 different IV antibiotics, potassium, etc. My right arm swelled up like a big balloon, red, hot to the touch and sore to the touch. They said I had cellulitis. I went home and was on 5 different medications plus Coumadin and shots in my abdominal area due to the blood clot and my INR number. It has been a month and I am feeling stronger but not 100%. Now I am dealing with an elbow issue that was brought on by the cellulitis and my INR number won't go up to 2-3, but it is slowly moving that way finally. I have noticed I have joint issues. Does anyone else have that issue due to the sepsis?  I hope to go back to work the middle of Feb. It is nice to hear from other people who have gone through the same thing and have that support for each other.  
I agree with u. It is very frustrating. Even in the hospital I was never really told how sick I was. After reading the stories here I realize how blessed I was. Mine was caught pretty early though I still spent 1the day in icu n 7I more in the hospital. Im 52the y.o. female. N was very active before I got sick., before reading all these stories was getting more and more frustrated with my slow recovery. But I see it could have been so much worse sooo...... I will try to not whine too much :)
All I can say is wow. I've never joined a forum or community, but after doing some research on recovery from sepsis, I felt I had to respond here.

I had sepsis in march 2011, and let me say that I agree with most people here. It was the most horrendous experience of my life. I could not even lift my arm to get a drink of water. My mother was a godsend! Had the guy that was cutting a line into my neck not told me, I would never have understood how sick I was. I asked him if coming into the hospital was the right thing, and he looked at me point blank, and said I would have been dead in a few hours.

After getting out of the hospital (ICU 3 days, regular room 4), I could barely walk around my small house. I slept constantly. I was living alone at the time. I must say, I was scared to death it might return, since they never did give me a reason as to why it happened. I had nightmares about how close i had come to dying, and the mental trauma did not allow for much sleep.

Am I the same physically? Sadly, no. I tire easily. My cognitive function is down. My hair has episodes of falling out. Am I the same mentally? No to that as well. This was the third time in three years I had been in the hospital in critical care, though only once for sepsis. That track record tends to make you nervous about every little health thing.

Now that you've read all the doom and gloom stuff, here's what I really wanted to say. I am still on the mend. As with many of you, there are lingering effects. We went through alot, but we are HERE. If you look at the statistics for sepsis, the mortality rate is about half. We are lucky to be alive. Im grateful i have what i have. At least that's the outlook I'm trying to have.

I've made many changes in my life to keep me out of the hospital now. Diet is the number one change I think will benefit most. Lots of greens and fruits, make your own food, grow your own, it all helps to keep that immune system healthy. I also found that a little added potassium each day does wonders.

Lastly, for those of you struggling with depression, as I am, marijuana can help. I smoke once a day, in the evening, and that's it. I inhale twice only. I feel it has helped me through the roughest part and I may not even need it before long.

While its been a year since I was in, I know I'm getting better. I hope that all of you are able to do the same. I wish you the very best....

I am so glad I found this site. My wife was really sick before her sepsis hit. She got hit really hard and not near over it yet. It tool 11 days on sedation before her lungs were clear enough to pull the vent. She is not breathing on her own with only the normal nose oxygen in ICU. Because she still can not respond and her kidneys are still failing, they will move her to a sepsis rehab probably early next week. They told us that 11 days on sedation (propafal) it could take weeks to clear her system.

Finding this site though will help me get through this very scary disease
This site is helping me deal with a close loved one who is in ICU now, the seventh day, recovering from sepsis.  I never knew anything about it and it has impacted my life now so immediately.  Reading these posts gives me insight about what to expect in the recovery process and I hope and pray that it will be so.  Thanks to all for posting.
I had sepsis (pseudomonas) twice in 6 months from a central line. The first time was the worst because I waited to go to the hospital and the second time I got it in the hospital. It scared me and it still does. I am 33 y/o but my health was very poor at the time. I was in bed all day on IV meds prior to the sepsis so my body was already at its limit. My first hospital stay was wacky because no one really told me how sick I was and like someone else who posted above a tech at the hospital told me I was really lucky as he had a friend who had passed away from sepsis. I was really sick when I was discharged. I have a difficult illness to start so I needed treatment right away for this illness. However, not many people in my state treat what I have and I had to find something in my state as I was too sick to travel. I mention this because I ended up with a doctor who was an MD and holistic. I know this will sound crazy and believe me I thought it was just a way to get money and quirky but I got better and quickly. This doctor would put Vit C and B vitamins, peroxide and just wacky stuff through my 2nd central line. She also used some treatment from Europe called UVB which takes your blood out, puts it under a UV light and back into your body. I got much better fairly quickly. I was reading these stories and I do not know why or what worked but this is to me a crazy approach but I got better and did not have a horrific struggle afterward. I thought that someone might need some hope or options and I dont know if this is exactly what made the difference but it appears to have done something. Also, I did not stay with this doctor as it was a bad fit for the illness I do have but this doctor somehow figured out how to reverse some of what the hospital said would be with me forever like problems with my adrenals, kidney, liver etc. The last thing I would want to do is give false hope but I also know that when things get so bad you look to other people's experiences.
I am wondering how you are doing, I also had sepsis in Dec.2011, and am finding recovery so slow.  I tried to simply be thankful for not getting worse than I did, but am use to being active. No one understands, they just say push yourself a little more each day, but I find when I do, the sepsis residue pushes back. I'm not sure if it just takes your body a long time to filter out all that crap.  I'd never heard of sepsis before I got it, never dreamed it would take so long to get over. There seem to be more questions than answers and although I am sorry to hear that others suffered the same illness, many much sicker than I. All too many not surviving.  There is a comfort in knowing that at least someone else out there understands what is happening.  Hope you are doing well.
Have not checked back here for awhile and was surprised to see so many more comments.  It is amazing that something I never really knew about, til I had it, has effected so many others.  We are the lucky ones, the ones that have survived.  I was diagnosis with sepsis in Dec 2011, with a kidney infection.  It's funny how that was all I was told while in the hosp. That I had a kidney infection. Sepsis was not mentioned, even when they put me in ICU.  Looking back I'm not sure I'm happy I didn't know or not. My family was sent home believing I 'just had a kidney infection'  Though the days in there are somewhat of a blur, I recall the constant headache, back pain, overwhelming fatigue, nausea.  I get all that, you are sick, you have symptoms, you get better. Arent the symptoms suppose to go away?  Although I am so much better now than I was even 1 month ago. The continued fatigue and weakness, leg pain, even shortness of breath when I tried to do regular things, fuzzy thinking at times esp. when I am overtired.  I just cant figure out how to get better, except by resting and Im so tired of that.  I returned to work, but find if I work, I can do little at home on my days off. Doctors seem so clueless. I had the same response from my doctor when I asked why I was still so sick. "you were very ill, it takes time"  I can even accept that if I'm sure I will get back to 100%, but there is that fear there, 'what if I don't get it back?"  I wish more people would respond that have had the sepsis and are further down the road in recovery.  I do understand that the first 6 months to a year are critical times during this recovery, times when we seem to be much more suseptible to other illness and proper care of our health is important.  It's just hard to wrap my mind about the fact that I'm suppose to be over the sepsis, but... I'm still not completely well. So frustrating. I hope that all who read this will stop and say a prayer for all survivors and family members of those who didn't survive. And will be willing to spread the news about sepsis,  Knowledge is a powerful thing and this knowledge of the symptoms and the timely treatment needed for sepsis, could save a life.
I had sepsis very badly in December 2010. My family were told that I probably would not make it. I was in hospital for over a month. I am lucky to be alive.
I work full time as a teacher in primary school. Long hours and demanding work but I enjoy it. I get lots of exercise mainly long walks in the fresh air, eat lots of fruit and vegetables, take vitamin pills and eat garlic regularly. The only thing I notice is my memory is not too good, I muddle dates and names and think things which happened months ago happened more recently. Also scratches tend to flare up sometimes so the bacteria is probably still around.
Hang on in there if you are still recovering, I lead a happy life now and you can too, be positive!
I am doing much better now, legs and hips are still sore but I'm back to work for about two months now and it has helped me a lot. Getting back in to the routine was good for me mentally and physically. I hear ya about no energy after work or the weekends, I feel kinda awkward complaining about it now because it happened 6 months ago, but my girlfriend is very active and I try to keep up.... but really I just want to rest....
My dad has been in ICU for 6 days now, following hospitalisation for cellulitus. He got steadily worse and his leg was really badly affected, then he had two cardiac arrests and was rushed to ICU with sepsis. Initially we were told there was nothing they could do, but then they amputated his leg, to try to remove the source of the infection. His arm and other leg are also fairly bad, but his temperature has finally come down. he's now on kidney support and has been ventilated and heavily sedated the whole time. All we keep getting told is he is still very critical but stable. We don't know what to think...this site has helped a little though - thank you.
I had Septicaemia (Sepsis) just recently. It started with a UTI, which they prescribed me Trimethoprime (200mg for 3 days), and it did not clear.
couple of weeks after finishing the course I returned to the doctor, he gave me a longer course of the same anti-biotic and same mg. I was on my 6th tablet before the worst symptoms showed. Throughout the time of having my UTI, I was weak, hurt to pee, usual symptoms, but as it progressed, I had dizzy spells, tiredness, gastric reflux, weakness.
When it went sour, it was the 8th of April 2012. During the day I had felt unusually ill and I was away from home in blackpool for an xbox gaming event with my Mother and Brother. Whilst my brother was gaming, me and my Mother were sitting in the lobby as I felt ill, all of a sudden the nausea set it. I was vomitting and dithering so harshly. I had coats and blankets around me and I couldn't get warm.
I had to stick out a 2 hour train journey to get home. As soon as I got home I rang NHS direct, and they advised I went to the walk in centre the next morning, calming me down saying that it sounds like side effects of the anti-biotics, when I was convinced it was an allergic reaction.

During the night I threw up 3 times, hot flushes, sweating, dithering, I felt cold, my fever was so high, it was 39.9 C.

I got to the walk in centre but by this point I was going yellow and experienced sharp pain in my back. They did a urine test which was positive for leukocytes and proteins. But for some reason put me in a taxi to A & E. When there they sent me straight through.

Blood pressure was low, loin pain. They immediately put it down to Pyelonephritis (Kidney Infection).

Whilst in A&E Majors they took blood cultures and gave me a drip.
Later that day when taken to the ward, I took a turn for the worst. I had started receiving Tazocin 4g Intravenous Antibiotics. My mother at the time was with me, and was keeping an eye on me. She tells me what I can't remember.
She covered me in her coat and blankets because I was shivering so bad. Shortly after about 10 minutes, I started hallucinating. I was looking at her asking who she was and I didnt understand why I was at hospital. I was drifting in and out of conciousness, I was speaking to myself, in my sleep.

My temperate was 40 C and they had to bring it down, I only remember them taking the blankets off me and putting fans on me. It was horrible shivering. I felt like I was gonna freeze to death!
Later on that night I vomitted.
The next day when I woke up I was yellow. The whites of my eyes, my eyes looked sunken in. I didn't look in the mirror and see myself.
I was confused, at one point when the priest did his weekly visit, I thought he was coming to read me my last rights!

I felt like I was left and neglected. That night I had a high fever again but this time I had no one there. Everyone on my ward was asleep. I was throwing up on myself, hallucinating and no nurses or doctors were there. It was only after hallucinating and opening my eyes to find no one that i managed to hit the buzzer.

the next day I threw up again, and was left for an hour after talking to a nurse, for someone to come over and help me.

I was discharged from hospital on oral Cefalexin 500mg 10 days 3 times a day after 4 days.

I was tired, I was sleeping all the time, I was weak, aching, I had a chest infection, and everything was going wrong. I'm 20 and healthy, and I wish I never have to experience this again.

I'm having tiredness and fatigue problems still after 3 weeks. The course they gave me never cleared my UTI and they put me on Microdantin (Furantoin) 50mg. It didn't work either. They now put me back on Cefalexin and if this doesnt work they want to admit me to a specialist.

They haven't tested the bacteria in my urine to figure out whats best and I'm afraid that it'll be too late and it'll go to my kidney again.

I urge anyone with a UTI. Be vigilant.

I have confusion spouts, I forget very easily, I have strange rash on my neck and because of the anti-biotics I'm suffering with thrush. I still have the symptoms of cystitis.

I'm a student, and the univeristy have kindly given me 4 months extra to work on my projects.

I still wonder if they shouldnt have discharged me so soon. But I'm glad they did. I'm happy I'm home. And I don't know what I'd do without my mother.

My case isn't as bad as some of you guys, but its an experience I haven't shared yet, and I'd like to put it up for anyone else worrying about it so that they know someone has experienced the same as them. Thanks guys xx
hi i wound up with vomiting and diahea at 3 on a sat..went to the hospital at 6 with no feverno confusion ec. did my blood pressure again and it had dropped to 50/30..was rushed into icu to take a med to raise my blood pressure.i also wound up with fluid in the bottom of my lungs.was in icu 4 days and in ward for 12 days..i was a systomatic and was told if i even feel a little off to come back to the hospital as i dont show signs like other ppl.i was in sepsis shock and im very lucky to be alive. they never found the infection site so im suppose to be careful..i feel fine in the morning but i do like 2 hours of stuff and im beat..how long will this take. i was discharged 2 weeks ago
Just found out i had sepsis today. Took over 2yrs to get any answers! Been to ER repeatedly in the past, catscans, mri of the head, seizure testing and eventually doctors were guessing migraines, anxiety, depression etc.
Recently had lots of blood in urine and my hair is falling out and breaking off. The hospital gave me a med for uti that didn't help...so i went to my doc and another who said i had no uti.
The next week i was back in the hospital and had a positive uti. Was given another med that didn't help either, so I just saw a urologist today.
That doc didn't spend 2minutes with me and said my uti was negative in testing so if symptoms continue i should go back to the ER or return. What the heck! The point of me being there was cuz i didn't feel good at all!
The only way i found out i had sepsis was from paperwork they gave me from the hospital i went to before.
So here i am going to the bathroom every ten minutes urinating white chunks and supposedly I'm cured of uti??? What about checkin my kidneys or bladder????
I understand false testing happens. But I'm goin to hospital tomorrow cuz I can't take this anymore. Now that i finally know my problem is sepsis I finally understand the weakness, temperatures, confusion and liteheadedness fatigue pain and difficulty walking that's been goin on for soooooo long. And i'm scared soon I will die.
before this all happened i took care of seniors for almost ten yrs and now i can't even take care of myself. Everything is goin wrong and it doesn't seem as though anyone is willing to help get this under control.
But i still remain a little hopeful and wish everyone the best who is struggling with this horrible crazy illness.
Hi all, I am not a senior i am 28 but I think I may have developed sepsis. A few weeks ago I was shaking all over,had a fever,kidney pain,chills,migraine I was also urinating chunks or blobs that were white and brown,they looked like they had minerals or something in them. I took a lot of bayer and drank as much water as I could and it seemed to fade away. Now 2 weeks later I'm having all the same symptoms, I feel like I can't do anything but sleep under fleece blankets,in 100 degree weather,I take ibuprofen and then it starts to work and I start sweating also have no appetite. I feel like I have the worst flu ever,I'm normally a water drinker and get 20 minutes of cardio everyday,but also have history of several kidney stones.can anyone help me? Thanks. Oh yeah I no longer have health insurance,so I cannot go to a specialist only the ER.
I was released from the hospital 3 weeks ago following a 10 day stay that included a tour of the ER, the surgical unit, progressive care, nuclear medicine, endoscopy, and the operating suites. Every graduating senior resident at that teaching hospital was thrown my case because of my 'less than textbook' presentation. I was never truly aware of just HOW sick I was until that moment when the fluctuating and wildly unstable vital signs  I was watching registered in my fuzzy brain as MINE. I had been admitted for a UTI gone wild...or so I thought. Maybe my kidney(s) had become involved...maybe , just maybe, the bacteria currently residing in my kidney(s) were making their way into my bloodstream...Yes! By golly, we finally had a diagnosis! Sepsis ...along with two duodenal ulcers and a sludgy unpredictable gall bladder (had this removed before discharge).  At one point I was told that I could live or die. The decision was entirely up to me, the doctors said, as the medical staff was doing everything they knew to treat the pyelonephritis  and support my very ill and insulted 'operating system' as it continued to function to the best of its ability. Wow.  This is the first illness that I have not been able to educate myself about, map out  and initiate a recovery plan, and then proceed on course to a restored state of health within a relatively short period of time. I am fatigued, forgetful, headachy, and still have abdominal and sometimes flank pain. I am physically unable to push myself as I once did due to my body's inability to tolerate ANY pushing. (The audacity!) It will just QUIT. And I do mean that. This is quite a new experience for me. Any insight from those of you that have been here is SO-o-o appreciated. I am at a loss as to what I can do to facilitate the healing of my body beyond rest, fluids, and decent food. I am sincerely sad to know that there are many more of you also recovering from this thing known as SEPSIS. Take care and God Bless!
This post has turn to be quite informative to me as it has raveled few facts about Sepsis disease
I began not feeling well on evening of May 15, 2012 and stayed in bed the next day wondering what was going on with me.........it was different than I had ever experienced.  I had pneumonia in February and March 2012 and thought I was over that.  Then around 4 a.m. May 17, I was awakened with chills and vomiting and knew I needed some help so ended up in the ER with blood pressure dropping, Oxygen levels down, dehydrated, fever ,a UTI and pneumonia again. Of course, was admitted and diagnosed with sepsis May 18.  I was told that if I had waited another 8 hrs., it would have been critical and possibly death. I spent 3 days in the hospital and sent home on antibiotics.  I had never heard of sepsis.  I am discouraged in that this is August 2012 and I seem to wake up feeling like maybe I could accomplish something only to find I last about 2 hrs. and then am fatigued again.  I can hardly make this body move and find I do well just sitting in a chair.  I was just recently diagnosed again with bronchial pneumonia.  I'm trying to eat healthy, drinking Boost and taking vitamins that I feel are helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might give me some energy and how long does this last?
Is your doctor treating your bronchial pneumonia?  When the body is fighting illness, it can take a lot of energy.  It looks like you are taking some positive steps with diet, etc. which are important!

Mood can play a role in how fatigued a person feels, so I see you are feeling dicouraged, so in addition to getting food for your soul from God's Word if you are a Christian and casting your cares on Him, you might want to try Naturemade brand of SAM-e, which is supposed to help with mood.  Also, eating foods that have good omega fatty acids that help with mood might be helpful, such as macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, freshwater fish, and flaxseed meal.

If you are taking antibiotic for your pneumonia and it is giving you diarrhea, taking acidophilus capsules can help with that, because it puts back in some good bacteria that the antibiotic indiscriminately kills along with the bad bacteria, the target for the antibiotic.  Drinking plenty of fluids and making sure you are taking medicine to help loosen secretions in your lungs is important as well as not sleeping flat, but with your torso at a slant for the sake of your respiratory situation.  

Taking high doses of ester-C vitamin (try 1000 mg twice a day) and zinc are supposed to be good for immunity boosting.
Had a prostae biopsy in April this year ,took antibiotics before and after but ended up in High Dependency unit with sepsis.Was told it would take 6 weeks to recover then 3 months and now 4 months later Im still tired and find it hard to get out of bed .Was very active for 60 ,played golf twice  a week ,could walk for miles.I get so tired now that when I do play golf I cant wait to finish and may have to pack it in for good.
    Although none of the doctors would admit,Im sure it came about as a result of been on antibiotics prior to biopsy twice in November and again in Febuary and I was wide open to infection as a result .
  I posted here to make people aware that if there having any procedure like a biopsy of the prostate ,dont if you have been taking antibiotics prior .Hopefully we will all recover eventually.
I also wondered if the previous antibiotics with first pneumonia had affected my immune system making me vulnerable for the second pneumonia which is when the sepsis was diagnosed.  I, too am at 3 months and still realizing affects of this.  An article that I read on sepsis also said that it is "functional disabling".   I can't walk with vigor in my step and even do a zig-zag once in a while. Why doesn't the doctor tell us what to expect with this instead of experiencing it not knowing what to expect?  My doctor told me it would take up to one year and I didn't ask him why?  It probably depends a lot on age how quick the recovery is.  I wake up each morning wondering if I'll do better.  Some days are better than other days.  I must need to learn how to be more patient.
Thank you for your information.  My mother in law had heart surgery in June of this year.  She has been in the hospital for almost 3 months.  It has been a roller coaster ride.  She was intubated 3x during her stay.  Her lungs, kidneys and liver were in bad shape.  She has persevered, even though she has been through so much.
She has now been diagnosed with sepsis, and her bp dropped to 108/18 last night.  Vomitting, high temp, not responsive.  They immediately treated her with antibiotics and iv fluids.  By reading all of your comments, I feel empowered to help her with this fight.  She already has a trach, has a feeding tube and now has sepsis.  I have heard the saying, god doesn't give you more than you can handle.  i think that is not true.  Good luck and god bless to all who are affected by sepsis.
I got severe sepsis in May 2012 and the infection infected all my organs and i still feel ill. Like yourselves I was hospitalised and came out after a week.       I have had more blood tests and have come back good and the doctor today has told me that as the tests have come back fine he thinks that i should be better by now. I am unhappy as I still have bad headaches, sickness, weight loss, no appetite and so very tired. When the doctor told me I should be better I thought I should find out if there is a recovery time. I am 43 years old. My heart goes out to you all who have or had sepsis
To everyone who is tired and still in pain after surviving sepsis, i recently tried hemp heart seeds and wellesse liquid calcium, the calcium has helped my extreme shoulder and ankle and joint pain, its still there some, but not nearly as bad, and the hemp heart seeds have given me a little more energy to get through the day, give it a try, what do you have to lose, i buy both of these at costco. anything that helps is worth its weight in gold. just thought i would share what has helped me through this recovery. still not the same even two years later.  if you try and it works for you please let me know.  Cheers to you all who have survived and struggle through each new day.  
This is an amazing forum and it has been so helpful reading everyone else's stories. I had sepsis that they believe started in my kidneys, a little over two weeks ago and it was the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I was rushed into the ER after spending the previous evening vomiting, hallucinating and being completely delirious. In the ER everything seemed like a blur, I was sweating but cold, my breathing was so hard and fast as if I had ran miles. I can remember nurses telling me to try and control my breathing as if I wanted to breathe that heavy. I spent only a day in ICU but went so back and forth in knowing what was going on and not knowing, my nausea came back and I was now on day three with no food or sleep. When I was moved out of ICU I got very confused and had no idea where I was or why I was there. I was released and given cefphalexin 500mg to take 3 times a day for 10 days. I am home now and while I don't feel sick anymore I forget things all the time and often get caught up in thinking about what I went through in the hospital. I sometimes feel traumatized. I am only 24 and after doing much research on sepsis and even reading others stories I am just thankful to be alive. I've had UTIs and kidney infections before so my biggest fear is to ever get sepsis again.
Prayers to people still recovering and for anyone that has to go through this.
Hope everyone keeps posting! Knowledge is power!
I am a 36 yr old and I began with a d and v bug that I slogged out for 3 days before my temps were hitting over 40 every time. I went to A&E and they gave me fluid IV as I knew I was severely dehydrated. Was moved to a ward and continued to be ill for a further 3 days when the combination of my blood pressure and  temperature prompted the medical emergency team to be called to my room to do an ECG and chest scan. I was fitted with a catheter and taken to HDU (intensive care) where I was pumped with bags and bags of saline and antibiotics. Unfortunately I discovered I am allergic to penicillin and my body was covered in a terrible rash and the skin in my mouth stripped and was raw. Unfortunately all of the fluids made my minerals in my body go too low and too high.
The worst part I remember is having to take potassium in fizzy liquid form, which was 10 times more fizzy than cola, and with the skin stripped off my mouth from my allergic reaction, I cried every time I took it. They tried to fit a feeding tube through my nose 3 times, but my throat was too dry to accept it so I had no option but to drink the potassium.
I was taking oxygen because I couldn't breathe. I was given 2 units of blood on two separate occasions and then platelets which somehow made my condition turn around.
I eventually made it out of HDU after a week and was taken to a ward. I couldn't walk because of the muscle wastage in my legs and I was as weak as a kitten. I was still spiking temperatures and the teams and teams of doctors from all departments: microbiology, rhumatology, gynacology, cardiology (the list goes on and on) and I had almost every scan, camera, xray and blood test available to find out where the infection that caused the sepsis had originated.
I was in hospital for a month in total and I have probably missed lots of information, about what happened to me, out because I have memory loss and have to be reminded of things that happened.
The doctors have no idea why it happened to me which makes me a little worried that it may happen again.
I m at home now but still having pain in my legs when I walk and later on in the evening, if I have walked a little that day, I am in pain like I have ran a marathon! I have a numb thigh, like I have had an anaesthetic, but my consultant said that will improve as it is probably just nerve damage from the stay in HDU not moving for a week.
I know I am lucky to be alive but I am building up my strength again and seem to be doing ok. Its more my emotional state really, mood swings and crying, not sleeping, and I am a primary school teacher so I need to be in a good state of mind and body before I return to work.
Sorry if I have rambled on about what happened to me - but it was only 3 weeks ago that I left hospital so it has been helpful to share.
Best of luck if you're recovering too. I had a pulmonary embolism 4 years ago too and though that was a near miss - but this was much worse!
2 freak episodes at my age that didn't finish me off - God must be watching down on me!
I wish you all good health and a speedy recovery.
I forgot to mention: I also got double pneumonia from lying in HDU and that eventually, after 3 weeks, the antibiotics became counterproductive and were causing the temperatures I was experiencing  and so after stopping them, they settled and I was allowed home.
My brother had colon cancer and elected to get his large intestines removed and have his small intestine attached to rectum he did not want a bag.  He went in Dec12, after a week he was extremely ill with fever, low heart rate 80/56 and bleeding out rectum.....he was ignored by doctors until following morning rushed into surgery to fix leak in intestines. He got sepsis.  He was within inches of his life.  He was on vent, dialysis and transfusions.  Yesterday he finally had breathing tube removed and talking.  His wife was with him basically 24/7 and witnessed the failures.  Nurse on staff kept telling her that she was documenting everything (but doctors on staff doing nothing). She told my sister in law she was covering her *** and was very concerned that no one was doing anything.   After 2nd surgery dr told us mistakes were made and they are reviewing so this doesn't happen again.  

I spent today enjoying my brothers company and thought I would research sepsis.  After reading the above I guess he has a long recovery and I do not think he realizes it.  

Thank you all for sharing your stories, I hope that you all get your strength back.
To all, if you have not seen an Infectious Disease doctor familiar with Sepsis, you need to do so now! I have had sepsis on and off over the last few years following septic shock (one level worse than sepsis) with NDE, mutiple organ failure and infections.  I was not under the care of an ID doctor.  There are some that specialize in this condition.  If you have high WBC, Lyphocytes, Monocytes and other "off" blood counts, low blood pressure, it is probably still lurking in your body.  I am not a doctor, but have seen dozens, many write it off as depression, but I finally found out the original infection never cleared.  It will usually require a minimum of IV antibiotics and it is very difficult to diagnose unless you get the right doctor.  Please don't wait, I've been suffering in pain and agony, weakness, loss QOL, job and all.  I'm going to start getting treatment in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping for the best.  And it has impacted my thinking.  Very much fatigued with minimal activity.  If you read this, try to get the ID doctor as soon as you can!  The ED will not help you.
Please, has anyone recovered?  At this rate, applying for Disability will have to be the next step.  I will find out more in a couple of weeks, but reading all the stories makes me so sad.  It has changed my life as I am alone now, and I really hate it, but I'm too weak to do nearly anything, if I knew it would last for years more, I could not handle it.  I know how you guys feel, I have gone to bed many nights wishing that if I could not find a cure, I would rather not wake up.  I'm so sorry to hear of so many people suffering and going through what I have experienced for 6 years.  It looked like I was getting better for a while (at least I was putting on weight), then the second infection came on again in 2011, and it was all down hill after that.  I will let you know what I find out and if my treatment helps.  Waiting does not help, going to the Emergency Department does not help.  
I, too, have applied for and been denied Disability.  I am now looking for a Social Security lawyer to aid me in my quest. (I am currently being assisted by the state.) The reason for denial was that there is stlll worthwhile work that I am capable of doing. Sepsis has left me with a weakened heart (dilated cardiomyopathy) and chronic problems related to my genitourinary system. It has been 10 months and I am still on the mend...and STILL ALIVE. (God is good.)  My doctors and myself were surprised at my denial. My advice...get a SS lawyer BEFORE you file.
Hi I too had sepsis in hospital 10 days in ICU 2 days very serious stuff I had a 7 kidney stone with a hook .Everything went crazy . It's been 2 months was sent home with a stent in the kidney for a few weeks . Had it removed  . I was one that could not sit still .Now I have little energy not hungry , headaches , and my bones hurts . For the last 3 weeks I thought I picked up a virus but ws told the 3 to 4 hours of chills and then the same for the fever could have something to do with septic shock Was told I need to allow my body to heal as so many organs need to repair themselves . Just find the energy part annoying I get so tired so fast .Im on an antibiotic which I will be on for a year so I don't pick up any infections . Anyone else not feeling hungry. . I have to watch myself as I become dehydrated so easy . I was told this could take months to clear .
Wow....reading these comments are quite scary...I was recently d/c from the hospital after 8 days of Iv antibiotics for sepsis caused by cellulitis related to a history of breast cancer (3 years ago). I am extremely fatigued, experiencing joint pain, and mild confusion...I thought this was something that you just "popped" out of...didn't realize how serious it was....thanks for all the comments, definitely made me feel better....
Hi how long did it take you to recover?  I am 57 female was very active and had sepsis in Jan. due to a kidney stone.  Was on a vent for 7 days.  I have come along ways but it is 5 months and still not myself.  I am very very frustrated!  
Oh I am so so sorry to hear your story.  I was septic in Jan. and here it is July and I still don't feel good.  My dr. Doesn't understand I get upset.  I have made great strides but not 100 percent.  Do u have my suggestions??
I sent you a message.  It sounds like we have similar circumstances.  Please let me know how you are now.
Wildchild340000 - I am just reading these posts on July 8, 2013.  I have had cognitive impairment since my first bout with sepsis in Aug 2011.  Since then I've had it a total of four times.  No one can figure out where it is coming from.  One doctor thinks it's my urine but the cultures all come out negative.  I must say that it took me a long time to feel better because I got a second episode in Oct 2011 just two months later.  I was unable to return to my job due to the cognitive impairment from the first round of sepsis.  I'm interested to hear how you are doing today.  

hi there i had severe sepsis organ failure 4 yrs ago spent 7 days in coma in icu...Im still recovering now it is a very slow and painful process,Some days are good and some not so good,i have muscle weakness and get alot of aches and pains in my joints and suffer with bad memory...took a good 2 years to even start to feel a little normal whatever that is now lol but it does get better just have to hang in there, Considering i wasnt ment to make it its a small price to pay :) Chrissie 37 Melbourne Australia
It's been 3 years since I had sepsis, and you are right it took 2 years to begin to feel somewhat normal. I too still have abnormal fatigue some days. I take vitamins and supplements and eat healthy and try to exercise. I've been depressed and lethargic. I also have psoriatic arthritis. I drink protein powder shakes, take Coq10, vitamins, calcium & magnesium, lysine, and vitamin D. Everything you can do, that is healthy and good for your immune system will help some. But time is the biggest factor. I realize that there are going to be days that I don't feel like doing anything, on those days, I rest, sit outside, read or take a long bath. On the days I feel good, I do what has to be done. Hope this helps someone.
I had sepsis over a month ago and am still weak. I am a truck driver and after 11 or 12 hours of driving feel as though I have been for 24.
I ate a pre cooked hamburger at a truck stop and 7 hours later started having seizures.
I had salmanella poisonin. (Hope I spelled it close) which turned into ensephalitis, then septic shock.
I was in ICU for 4 days.
I still have memory loss, fatigue and just don't feel well at all.
My right kidney still hurts also.
Just wanted to share this with you. By the way. My second night in ICU my bp was 50/28. I am 69
Bobbie

this time last year I had a emergency operation-I had colon cancer-a few days later I got sepsis-another surgery & was put on life support for 4 days-I was full of drugs and sick-I was in icu for a month--now I have a colosotomy bag-no fun--go home long recovery-cant walk-started chemo-did one round was deadly sick-I stopped-hair fell out&skin off my feel came off(chemo was optional 3% towards the 75% to survive)then a few months later I get colostomy bag removed(great)-well I just don't feel good-my head is foggy-hurts-tired a lot-cant do much past noon before I feel dead tired beat---I take one a days and iron!-all the doctors I seen say all tests are coming back ok-gyno-mammo-skin-head-etc---I see cancer doc every 3 months-results ok---I was reading on here about everyone who has had sepsis and it seems like it matches up with mine-I am just worried it don't feel right I don't feel like me anymore-confused-tired-foggy-headache-etc--I am 48 and also going thru menpause-i cant take any meds for that since I had cancer-also I have anxiety and worse since all this happened-I have meds for that-now wed I am going to get a colonoscopy-no fun!!-is there anyone out there that can help me out???

.

My daughter just got out of the hospital after being treated for  sepsis. Strangely, she has been complaining of her gums behind her teeth hurting. Your post is the only place I have seen this symptom mentioned. I am so afraid that the sepsis is not completely gone.
I am 19 years old and I had septicaemia 4 times.I am lucky to be alive!The first time I got septicaemia I was 10 years old,I got it from a central line infection(had leukemia at the time).Aged 14 I got lyme disease and was paralysed from my neck down for a year I also had Borrelia burgdorferi septicaemia .When I was 16 I had meningococcal septicaemia and was in hospital for 5 months.Two years ago I had a routine gastroscopy that went terribly wrong and I ended up with septicaemia,coma for four months,hospital for 8 months.
I have had a tough time but thankfully I am here today to tell my story.I am learning how to walk again and getting better at it every day.I do have memory problems which is so frustrating at times but I guess that's only a small problem,I'm so lucky to be here!
I am having a bone marrow transplant in 3 months time so hopefully that will help me and hopefully I'll never get sepsis again.
Wow, I truly had no idea there were so many who have survived the same thing I managed to survive.  I didn't realize I was getting sick.  Until my family noticed I was odd acting and saying things that made no sense, and eventually fell onto the floor, they didn't realize how sick I was getting either.  I was airlifted to a major hospital nearby and put in an induced coma for 40 days.  During that time the infection in my blood had gone to one of my replaced knees so that was washed out, replaced again.  In and out of rehab, other knee out, first knee out gain, pocket of bacteria filled nastiness in my back taken out....on and on.  Had to learn to walk, swallow, talk, etc.  Life isn't the same.  I'm not as active as I was before this.  It's been a full 4 years now but my memory fails me a lot, I can't think of names, a word I'm trying to come up with etc.  It truly worries me that I'm carrying around this infection and it could attack at any time.  I tend to fall a lot....am dizzy and just don't have good balance.  None the less, I'm  thankful to be alive in this new chance at life.  I'm 67 and hope to be here a long time.    Carol/Michigan
Have had this since 24 September in hospital for 3 weeks of antibiotic / fluids got out and then had a relapse and ended back in for another week. Have liver damage now but am home and eating well - have lost around 60lbs.  No headaches but back ache and my memory is affected I cannot remember a lot of the last year and sometimes get emotional.  I blame myself and feel I have left my wife and family down - it happened 2 days after I lost my job so unless I get back to fitness within 4 - 5 months I will have serious financial difficulties.  However I am alive, am only 51 and got a great family so bring on any fights I am well up for them.
I have just read many stories pertaining to what I've just been through...makes me feel not so alone and helps me understand that the pain and frustration I've lived for over four months was real and justified.I spent a month in The hospital(1week in ICU), then 3 months in a rehab PT hospital.I had reactions to medicines that shut down my kidneys and had unbelievable pain in my joints(knee,ankle,both hands,elbows and one shoulder).I basically needed help doing everything at first, It was very humbling..can't  say enough about the nursing staff !!!    Reading these stories helps me realize my confusion,depression,and emotional rollercoaster are shared by many...It's hard to explain to people what this illness is like without sounding like a whineass,but it's something you wouldn't wish on anyone..I'm still learning to walk after having my ankle and knee surgically cleaned out,and I still have a long road ahead of me like many others..you have to go easy and steady and hopefully have the support from people close to you..I couldn't do this without my girlfriends love and support.  I hope anyone who gets this , lives through it and has a speedy recovery
How is he doing.  My Dad has the same similar problem.  He's in ICU right now.  He had is gallbladder removed 7 weeks ago, and 5 ERCP's.  I'm really worried as he still develops stones in the bile duct.  Doctor's are concerned.  Thank you!  Look forward to your reply!
Hi! I'm glad I came across this website. I survived Severe Sepsis last December 2013. I was in the ICU for 6 days and 3 days in a regular room. It all started with a UTI. I thought that by just drinking cranberry juice and resting will make me better.  I was wrong after 3 days, I couldn't breathe, i had fever, chills, no energy and had rashes on my legs. My husband took me to the ER. I woke up after 3 days in the ICU. I didn't exactly understand what was going on. I had kidney failure, my blood sugar went up to 770. I was on life support and had dialysis twice. I am thankful that my Doctors saved my life. I am still recuperating and it is not an easy journey. I have less energy, joint pains, muscle pains and loss memory. I am 40 years old and i feel like my body aged 20 years.
I had sepsis last month due to uterine artery embolization , I had chills, fever and wall climbing pain in my abdomin (abdomen), then the last 20 days were in hospital were hell , i was in and out thinking this was the time for me to go.May be this the way I suppose to die. my treatment of antibiotics was failing then It started responding and I was discharged with oral antibiotics. Now I feel so much weakness and feel so tired sleepy all the time. my hair falling and my body n legs hurt all the time. I lost 10kg weight in hospital. I survived but I am still in fear that it might come back. I wish no one will have the sepsis as it can change your life and months to recover to your body. wish all speedy recovery