Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) Community
setting up a homework station for a child with challenges
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), also known as Sensory Processing Disorder

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

setting up a homework station for a child with challenges

So, when my son was young . . . before elementary school age, our occupational therapist talked ot us about setting up a place in our house for homework.  We call it the homework station.  We started this when our son was 4.  Sounds early, right?  Well, starting habits young is helpful for when a kid NEEDS to be doing something.  So, we have a location that is pretty central.  I can be sitting there with him or in the same room doing something else that I need to do so I am  not hovering.  It offers the chance to give a bit of needed freedom and responsibility for a child's own homework while still being available for help if asked.  We have things in the home work area such as chewing gum (which is calming and organizing to the brain/nervous system), a fidget,  tools needed (sharpened pencils, erasers and pencil grip . . . I like the "just write" grips), paper.  We always try to do some physical activity ahead of time which helps my sensory kid settld down and focus.  

anyone else have any ideas they use to make homework go smoothly?  ( a notorious issue for kids with sensory, add/adhd, and other challenges).
Tags: sensory integration disorder, SID, Sensory Integration Processing
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...