Someone called the police on Buzz
My DH and I brought Buzz and Emma to the park today. We've done this several times with no problems. We always keep Buzz on a leash, even if it's a long one. I know he's a big dog and some people are very afraid of big dogs, but that does not mean it's ok to call the police. Buzz did not bark once, he was not chasing anyone (except his family\!), and we cleaned up his poop right away. He was behaving exceptionally well. The next thing we knew the sheriff had pulled up and told us we had to take him away from the play ground. I explained to him that Buzz is an assistance dog and can go anywhere that Emma can. He then grudgingly said, ok but put him on a shorter leash. If someone was afraid or made uncomfortable by Buzz they could have asked us about him. I have no problems explaining what he does and that he's safe. Ignorant people are so frustrating. Not to mention that there was a parent with a newborn baby at the park smoking a cigarette while holding the child. Isn't that much worse than having a dog at the park? At least Buzz was adopted because we care about our daughter. Cigarettes are proven to harm children. I'm a former smoker and I say that. I would never smoke around my child or dog. Some people!
Oh, that is too bad.  I'm surprised someone went to the police and that the police followed up on that.  This is a trained assistance dog.  Not an out of control pooch.  Yeesh.  sorry that happened.
Thanks. Some people are so scared of him. Yes, he's tall, but a gentle giant. Wouldn't even kill a mouse he caught in the hallway.
It's so unfair that service animal teams have to suffer the uneducated judgments of others. Just two weeks ago I was wrongly accused of a crime I DID NOT commit and was arrested. I pleaded to the officer to please give my medical alert dog as he twisted my arms and laughed at me. The whole experience has been a nightmare. I kept asking for him but no one would give me any answers. I was thrown in jail and released 2 days later. Upon my departure, I found out that my service dog had been LOST! I have been searching every day to find him and it has been almost three weeks. I have lost my job, my family, and I feel like my life has shattered. The police won't help with anything...I don't understand.
I'm sorry for your experience and if I can get my SD back before I lose my mind, I will make it my lifes goal to do something about the unfair treatment .
Sending positive thoughts your way!
- Nadiah
Have you called the ADA and explained to them what is going on?  They might be able to help.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
AppleBr commented on photo
AppleBr commented on photo
Piparskeggr commented on photo
Sep 26