Sexual Dysfunction (for men and women) Expert Forum
Painful Intercourse Since Menopause Began

This forum is a safe place for men and women to ask serious personal questions about issues such as: pain during intercourse, loss of libido, difficulty achieving orgasm, testosterone & estrogen deficiency, sex after menopause, erectile dysfunction, …to name a few. Please be sure your question is complete and clear before you click on POST. Thanks and welcome to the forum!

Examples of the types of questions that pertain to Sexual Dysfunction Medicine are:

• Anorgasmia in men and women – difficulty achieving orgasm
• Lack or loss of libido in men and women
• Dyspareunia -- pain during intercourse
• Vaginismus – unable to have vaginal sex
• Menopause and Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome
• Erectile Dysfunction
• Prostatectomy problem
• Orgasmic Anhedonia – pleasureless sex
• Problems brought on by medicine and drugs—eg., SSRIs and Proscar.

Ever since I began going through menopause about two years ago, intercourse has been extremely painful.  I've tried using nearly every lubricant on the market and so far nothing helps.  I end up being torn and bleeding.  Obviously it does not make intercourse a pleasurable experience any longer.  Last week I saw my gynecologist and when she used a speculum and the same thing happened.  I felt torn and bled for a few hours after and urinating brought tears to my eyes it stung so much.  Please HELP.  Anything you can suggest will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much.

Carol 1

-----------------
Tags: speculum, vaginal dryness, painful intercourse, menopause painful intercourse
I just wonder if you have any other menopausal symptoms and have you thought about HRT at all?
Thank you for reading my question.  I have been told I cannot use hormone replacement therapy because of my history with Breast Cancer.  In fact, I've been told there is very little available to me because of the cancer treatment and type of cancer I had.  Any natural products  or possible medical treatment suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Carol
Carol. If you have been cancer free for 5 years or more then an absolute prohibition on HRT is an opinion not shared by all doctors. As always in these matters the benefit/risk ratio needs careful consideration. This is all the more so if what you are suffering is putting a strain on your relationship and making your life a misery.  I would have thought that vaginal estrogen application in particular would offer a very low risk indeed. However, you and your doctor are in the best position to make this decision. I hope all goes well for you.