Ureaplasma Urealyticum

I have recently had unprotected sex with a new partner and a few days later I started experiencing some unusual symptoms. These included, abnormal vaginal discharge, a slight (very mild) burning whilst urinating, a small amount of blood in discharge at times (only for a few days - has stopped now) and lower abdominal pain. These symptoms  convinced me that I had an STI such as chlamydia or gonnoreha so I went and had an STI check. Both STI's came back negative however the doctor said I had a ureaplasma urealyticum infection. She didn't provide me with much information about this at all other than it was an imbalance of bacteria. She gave me a prescription for doxycyline and sent me off.

When i got home i obviously research the ureaplasma infection and I'm still pretty unsure about what it is and what to think. Some websites suggest 30-70% of sexually active people have it and its a normal presence in "normal flora" however others say its practically and STD which leads to other complications if left untreated. Secondly, i was under the impression it was caused by an imbalance however i have since learnt from my research that it can also be sexually transmitted?

I was just wanting someone with a medical qualification to explain this infection to me in simple terms and whether i should be worried. I would also like to know if i should be informing my past/present sexual partners about the infection and suggesting they get tested?

Thank you
Ureaplasma urealyticum is not an infection. It is part of the normal healthy flora of male and female genital tracts. It is a healthy bug protecting you. It is not a disease bug. Reading through your question I do not think that you have anything at all to worry about.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.