Sexual Health Community
Are orgasms healthy for your body?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

Are orgasms healthy for your body?

I have read that having orgasms is healthy for your body, it helps relieve stress, helps you sleep better, that it will boost your immune system by increasing antibodies, make you look younger (I think this is due to physical activity/exertion...improves blood circulation), burns 4 cals/min, and relieves pain by increasing endorphins and corticosteroids, etc.

I have also heard this is all mythical, and that an orgasm is not proven to do anything.  Rather that becoming addicted to the endorphins that are released during orgasm can effect you in negative ways.

Does anyone on here have any information on the topic?

My girlfriend and I have debated this.  I have stopped masturbating as a mutual decision, that we would only have sexual experiences together, and I am used to WAY more orgasms than we are having as a couple.  We are a younger couple, not ready for and not having sex.  I am only talking about 4play.  She thinks I should easily be able to go without, and it's making me irratable and crabby sometimes.  And when I explain this to her, it makes me sound bad like it's all I want to use her for, and that's not it at all.  So I was hoping someone else would have some more facts on the topic that I could perhaps discuss with her.  Because if the problem does happen to be me-I am more than willing to work on it.
That is debate that has been going on for years and it depends on who you talk to some doctors will say no and some will say yes. I tend to lean toward the fact that if masterbation (masturbation) is decreasing your ability to produce a good orgasm with your mate then you might want to cut down. But since you are not having intercourse, then I can't the harm in it. I guess if it bothers her to know you are doing it then I would guess that if you wish to continue, just keep it to yourself.
I know you're looking for facts, but I agree with jml in that you'll find plenty of info supporting both sides of the argument. Personally I think it's as healthy in the same way as stretching for a few minutes each day - if that's what you feel you need.

Seeing how you're not having intercourse, what is your girlfriend expecting you to do? Just *not* get horny as much as you regularly do? Tell her to ask her other male friends what they would think of the idea - I don't know too many fellows who would feel it's very fair. Some girls simply don't realize that it can be a much bigger deal for men to just "go without". That, or they feel insecure over what their partner might be thinking about while masturbating. It's cool that you guys have decided to share all your sexual experiences, but don't forget that you were a person capable of looking after yourself before you met either.