Sexual Health Community
Can two STD free people contract an STD?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

It's very hard to find consistent information on the internet, some people say no, some people say yes. I'm an 18 year old male and I've been dating a girl for the past 6 months. After having oral sex for several months, we discussed and decided that we both wanted sex. A few weeks ago we had protected sex with a condom and we we're both no longer virgins. However, the condom broke and we thought we better get checked for STDs just in case on of us had one. Both of our tests came back negative. Earlier today we both discussed whether she should go on the pill, so we don't have to worry whether the condom breaks again. She was going to go on the pill either way because she has a inconvenient menstrual cycle and bad cramps. Anyways, we will soon be having unprotected sex, but I'm now curious. Can either of us contract an STD if both of our tests came back negative?

Basically:
Can my partner and I contract an STD from unprotected sex when both of our tests came back negative?

Thank you
You cannot create an STD from nothing. If neither of you have an STD then you don't have one to give to the other.

If you ask me to borrow $5 and I don't have $5 to give to you I can't just magically create a $5 bill to give to you.

Now if either of you engaged in some sort of unprotected sexual activity with someone else before you two got together it's possible you may have caught something from another person. Some STDs (like herpes) are difficult to test for, others (like hiv) can take time to show up on a test. But if you both have been faithful to each other for 6 months I wouldn't worry about this.

Relax. You both have been tested and you both have come up negative. That's a good thing. It's very smart of the two of you to get the tests in the first place and it's a very smart idea to use protection (condom). When used properly condoms are over 95% effective. But as you've seen they can and DO break on occasion. If you are going to use a condom in the future make sure it's a brand name like Trojan or Durex.

Her going on the pill is very sensible as well. It should help straighten out her menstrual cycle and will prevent her from getting pregnant.

But bottom line: If neither of you have an STD you can't give one to each other. An STD is a disease like any other disease and it requires one of you to "catch it" from somewhere before you can infect another person. The simple act of having unprotected sex does not create a disease. So if you're both STD free you can have unprotected sex with each other and not have to worry about catching or giving an STD.
Unless one of you is stepping out on the other, I'm pretty sure that's a no. This would be more of a question for a doctor. They have more information on the various diseases and what different ways there are to contract them.