Sexual Health Community
Diagnosed Cervical erosion without a smear/pap test?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

I got the contraceptive implant nexplanon in November 2011 and I've been bleeding on and off since. In March, when I had finished bleeding for a week I had sex with my boyfriend, and noticed that I started bleeding again straight after, and it was a bright red, almost like blood you get from a nosebleed or cut, so I counted this as 'bleeding after sex' and went to my family planning clinic.

The nurse there told me to go to my sexual health clinic which I did, and I was tested for all these STDs which came back negative. As I thought I had post-coital bleeding, the doctor used a speculum on me and then saw something that made her get the senior doctor for a second opinion.

The senior doctor said I had Cervical erosion, and said that it was very common among girls my age (I'm 23) who are using contraception. As I am too young for a smear test (think the age is 25 in the UK) the senior doctor told me I should go to the GP if it happens again and get a smear test. Well, at the beginning of this month I started bleeding again, which I think was a period, three weeks later I have spotting, and I had sex with my boyfriend on tuesday and had that new bright red blood again which makes me think I have post-coital bleeding again.

What worries me is how casual the doctors are about my post-coital bleeding and the fact that I am too young for a smear test. I guess my main question is, can you diagnose someone with Cervical erosion without carrying out a smear test? All the advice I read about this condition seem to refer to swabs and screening, should I demand a test? I really feel that if I go to my GP he will fob me off with me being too young to have a test, I was just asking so I could be armed with some information to argue my case for one.
Thanks for reading.
Tags: post coital bleeding, smear test, implant, contraception, Cervical erosion