Does testicular torsion and necrosis cause permanent pain if not treated?
Hi.  I'm just curious if an injury that causes torsion and/or necrosis of a testicle can result in life-long pain if the damaged testicle isn't removed.  Of course, I understand that gangrenous infection must be treated with surgical removal, but my question regards the same situation occurring without the presence of gangrene.  I'm asking because I've been told that a man can have chronic pain without surgery although I don't understand why if necrosis means that the part died.  Can there be different types of injuries, on the other hand, that may result in long-term pain but not death of that area?
It would be unusual for a body part to die and remain in the body, with no further effect on the health of the body.  Even if you rule out gangrene, the body would not like having a dead part in it, and would (at the very least) begin to encapsulate it in some way to protect the rest of the system from it.  That could cause pain or twinges for quite a while, I'd guess.  And the dead part would sooner or later begin to calcify (again, if it does not cause infection.)  It seems like one wouldn't want to risk any of this.  At the very least, some infection could travel up the tube that had twisted.  I've had scar tissue in the abdomen, and it caused adhesions, and they were very painful.  Whenever any part of the abdomen would move or stretch, the adhesions would not (think of putting masking tape on a balloon and then trying to blow up the balloon).  It pulled and ached all the time.  Frankly, it sounds like you need to take more than a passive approach if you are dealing with torsion and necrosis.