Sexual Health Community
Foreskin troubles

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

Foreskin troubles

Hello everyone:
I am a 16 year old virgin (uncircumcised) with very little knowledge regarding sexual health. About half a year ago I thought that maybe it was time that I get a bit more familiar with my body and learn a bit more about sexual health. Keep in mind that this was my first time actually learning anything about sexual health. When I looked online I was shocked to find out that not only did I have to clean my penis daily, but I also have to clean under my foreskin as well. Many sites said that I would just have to keep trying to peel it back and that within 2 months I would be able to easily slide my foreskin back. It has now been 3 months and I still haven't gotten close to peeling back my foreskin. Whenever I try I can only just barely see the head of my penis and if I try and peel back more it just causes pain. I'm a patient person though so I thought that I'll just keep on trying and eventually I'll get there but now I have developed a red ring of inflammation along the opening of my foreskin. I'm a bit worried, did I contract some sort of infection because I took too long? Is there any way I can speed up the process of peeling my foreskin back? Any input would be appreciated! (Also I apologize if this question doesn't belong here)
It might be a good idea to talk to a urologist.  My son's pediatrician told me that by a certain age, he should be able to pull back his foreskin, but I forget what the age is.  
Hi Bathtub, look and not trying to out wit a female, but just go see your own doctor first, and see what he says, and if he thinks you should see a urologist, then he can make you an apoitment.
But if it was me thats the way I would go, but then at 16 mine had been back for years and masturbating weekly.
Good Luck
Also if you do not talk to a urologist but just to a doctor, be sure the doctor is talking to you from the latest research.  My son's first pediatrician thought you were supposed to force the foreskin back, which is wrong no matter where you check.  I always wrote that off to the doc being about ready to retire and not up on the latest.
I looked on a medical website (not just one where people write in) and it said that though there is no set age by which a guy should be able to pull back his foreskin, if it was not happening by age 18, the guy could see his doctor who might prescribe a steroid cream to thin the skin out so it can be more readily pulled back.  This might be something to ask about at your next medical visit.  It really does sound like the timing is super variable.  Don't let websites telling you that you should have been able to pull it back earlier make you feel like you're off schedule.

ps -- If all this has given you a rash, do see your doctor.  
I am also uncircumcised, but had been taught by my dad how to clean it daily, so from an early age I was pulling it back to bathe and clean (as well as to urinate).  I've heard of guys having issues like this and they say that it should correct itself by a certain age.  But, if you haven't been retracting it regularly (like when you masturbate) then it may have begun to fuse and grow closed.  I would try relaxing and gently pulling and holding that pull for a bit numerous times a day.  Possibly some over-the-counter cream if there is any sensitivity (something along the lines for a diaper rash, like A&D Ointment).  But I would also advise that you see a doctor when you can.  Mine pulls back all the way as far as it can go.
By 16 your foreskin should be loose enough to pull back.  Sounds like you're a candidate for circumcision.  Don't worry, it's no big deal.
Circumcision is no big deal? That is a very controversial and debatable statement. Circumcision is not a necessity. Studies have shown that men who were circumcised as adults loose a huge percentage of penile sensitivity. The penis is made the way it is for a reason.

Mrbathtub, you have many options other than circumcision if your foreskin will not retract. If a doctor jumps to that as a first solution, get other opinions so you can decide what's right for YOU. It's your body, not the Dr's. Talk to, or read about, men who have been circumcised as adults (as opposed to infants.) Ask THEM if it's no big deal. Then, decide for yourself.

In an adult, foreskin that has never retracted, or stopped retracting due to an infection is called phimosis. If it is pulled back and constricts the penis (imagine a very tightly wrapped rubber band around the penis) it is considered an emergency as blood is cut off, or restricted. However, many men choose to live with this condition (phimosis, that is, not the emergency situation) rather than undergo circumcision.

Even in the case of the emergency, full circumcision is not always necessary as a solution. There is such a thing as partial circumcision. Whatever dr you talk to about this, make sure they are knowledgeable about ALL the options.

My husband (61 years old) has lived with phimosis his entire adult life with no problems.

Best of luck to you.