Sexual Health Community
Has Celexa ruined my sex life, or is it me?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

I'm a 22 year old female and have been taking  celexa off and on for a while.  I have been diagnosed with clinical major depression and I  thought celexa was helping me, until  now. I was first put on celexa a few years ago, and although I was skeptical about it, I couldn't deny that it was helping me. However, at that time, I was in a long distance relationship overseas and as such my sex life was practically non-existent. Because of my skepticism, I went off celexa, trying to manage things without medication.
Now, I've been in a sturdy relationship for 2 years with a different guy and we're common law. The first year, our sex life was amazing, and I had a voracious appetite to the point where he had trouble keeping up sometimes. Then, due to other circumstances, I decided to go back on celexa after a year into our relationship. I also have a mirena IUD i thought that my lack of libido/cramping, etc was the result of the added hormones. To make matters worse, since I've been on celexa, I CANNOT have an orgasm- something that I could previously achieve on a regular basis with my partner. This is NOT for lack of trying- we've explored new things together, always try to keep it fresh, and have tried multiple techniques, including toys, mental stimulation, new positions, extended foreplay, etc. Even "flying solo" the best I can achieve is barely an orgasm (if you can even call it that). Even though my libido is practically dead, I still continue to try. Still, I cannot orgasm, and it's frustrating/embarrassing. He doesn't put pressure on me and continually reassures me and is supportive, but I can't help but feel like less of a woman. =( I should also mention that I get regular checkups with my ob/gyn and everything is fine (including the mirena). Regardless, I can't help but feel like something is wrong with me.
-Frustrated and embarrassed
Celexa killed my sex life when I went on it a few years ago.  No sex drive, no orgasms, no feeling!  It's very, very frustrating :(  And I also know what it's like to try and manage certain issues without medication such as anxiety or depression.  Talk to your doctor, see if there's something else he can try or like the above poster said, maybe lower your dosage.  Good luck to you :)
Many antidepressants cause the problem your having. Talk to your Dr about lowering your dose to see if that helps.
Thanks for the help guys. =)
Yup that is one of the negitives with  antidepressants it can mess up your sex life .There are some that dont effect your sex life ask your doctor ..:)
Hey I'm 18 & I've been having the same thing , before I started taking celexa My sex life was great, I never had a problem with having an orgasm or getting wet for my partner, then I got on celexa and it ****** eeverything up. I didn't really want to have sex with him, I couldn't get wet when we have sex it was just embarrassing for me. . But now that I have stopped taking celexas for 2 months now my sex Life is starting to return to back to normal,  never again will I take celexa
If you need medication to control depression and/or anxiety a lot have sexual side effects. It *****, but better to deal with the side effects then what can happen without medication.