Sexual Health Community
How long can semen survive outside the body?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

Hi Everyone,

If a man ejaculates on his hand, how long does it take for the sperm to die? aka, How long can semen survive outside the body?

Found this, hope it helps.

Sperm can survive outside of the body for no more than about an hour. In general, if the semen is still wet it may well have live sperm.

Once sperm enter the female body, however, their lifespan increases. Inside the vagina, sperm can only survive for about six hours, as vaginal secretions contain acids that break the sperm down pretty rapidly. Vaginal infections or the presence of a spermicide may destroy sperm, and not allow it to reach the fallopian tubes.

Once sperm travels through the cervix, however, its lifespan increases even more dramatically. Sperm may survive in the Fallopian tubes for as long as 7 days, but generally survives for around 3 to 5 days. This means that fertilization can occur even if the sperm are deposited as much as a full week prior to ovulation.
Hi Johnnem,try this for an answer and I think this is what you are looking for, Sperm can live outside of the body for only about 20 minutes to an hour, depending on how exposed the semen is to the air and other environmental factors.

To avoid the slightest risk of pregnancy, a woman should make sure that ejaculated semen doesn’t get at all close to her vagina. Once semen has fully dried, it no longer contains any living sperm. If couples are relying on the withdrawal method for contraception, the man must withdraw fully before ejaculation and then be careful that when he does ejaculate that none of the semen gets near the opening of the vagina, to ensure that no sperm can make their way inside the woman, where they can survive much longer.

These couples should also remember that some fluid is emitted prior to ejaculation as a natural lubricant; this pre-ejaculatory fluid can contain sperm, and if it gets inside the woman, there is a small possibility that pregnancy can occur.
Good Luck
I understand what your saying but the likelihood of me having semen on my fingers or hands was very low. I remember wiping the semen off of my penis. I remember vaguely wiping the semen off my hands/fingers.

Why would I wipe off semen from my penis and leave it on my hands/fingers?

I also remember after doing those things we talked for about 15 mins, I placed my hands on her face, rubbed my hands back and fourth against each-other creating friction and then I inserted my fingers into her vagina. So the likelihood would have to be extremely low I'm assuming?
On average there is a 15% to 23% pregnancy rate with withdrawl (withdrawal). If you are absolutely perfect it can be as low as 4%, but that is not the norm.
Hey Linda

Thanks for the reply. When you say withdrawal, do you mean withdrawing my penis? Because I never used my penis. Please advise

Yes I was talking about withdrawing your penis. Nohard mentioned it, and I thought it wise to comment that it is not a good method of birthcontrol. If you don't insert your penis - all the better. If you get to the point where you are considering having sex, do the smart thing and see about getting your girlfriend to go on the pill (most effective) or at use a condom. If she goes on the pill it is a good jesture to offer for paying 1/2.
please excuse my choice of words.. I jacked off at about 11:30 and my girlfriend came over at about 1 and I fingered her with the same hand. I had taken a shower an washe my hand and put soap and body wash in the same hand. am I fine? from pregnancy?
Yes you are more then fine... I would def look into sex ed if i were you
but seriously wash ur hands b4 ur girlfriend comes over cause she could get an infection or something so be nice and wash lol
Okay my gf and I were taking a shower we didn't have sex but I was fingering her and she was whacking me off. I came first but I got on her belly and she was washing it off and she was washing her vagina and I got some on my hands too and washed them. Then I continued to finger and I'm paranoid if some got in inside her oh and I was just rubbing her clit not fingering inside her.
So what if you ejaculated a little bit in the condom whole still having sex and was still going at it toke off the condom ummm 5 to 6 min later and went unprotected and I only waited about 10 seconds after taking off the condom to go at again could there still be sperm on my penis?
So me & my bf had sex and we used 2 condoms in case of the first one rip by movements , we had two rounds , like 1 part we did and took a break for a while and 2nd part we did again but at the end of the second part he took both condoms out  , in total we used 4 condoms for both parts and after that he was tryinng to play with it , rubbed his penis on it (my vagina) , but i covered it with my dress just in case , but then after i felt something wet touched my vagina , can i be pregnant by that ? He didnt even penetrate it in , he was jus rubbing it over, can i get pregnant by that? Eventhough i felt the semen ? Or it could've been my wetness ?
so on the fourth of july my boyfriend and i were alone watching fireworks in my car, and i was taking care of him, but he got out and went into the corn, and finished himself off. then came back and a couple minutes later took care of him, no sex whatsoever, could i be preggers?
took care of me*
I was on top of my boyfriend when we was having sex and he ejaculated into the condom but a little bit of the sperm came out of the condom while I was still on to could there be a possibility I could be pregnant even tho the next day I got my period.. cause when I got off my period my stomach have been feeling weird and hurting a little I was on top of my boyfriend when we was having sex and he ejaculated into the condom but a little bit of the sperm came out of the condom while I was still on to could there be a possibility I could be pregnant even tho the next day I got my period.. cause when I got off my period my stomach have been feeling weird and hurting a little
Lili... Using two condoms at once is an absolutely horrible idea. It actually increases the likelihood of tearing.
Can someone plz answer this???? Hah need help!!! I was curious...my bf and i had sex like around 3-5 days after my period ended in august and he used a condom and cummed in it then pulled out of me safely then put his **** back in his pants/underwear after he took the condom off and the *** was only near his head mostly, not too much of the whole thing lol. Then we had sex again like a couple hours or more later and it felt like his whole **** was still moist or something...could that be from the condom? Cuz the condom is a bit moist as well. And when we had sex he wasnt wearing a condom...so im worried, can someone plz help me out?? Email me for anyone who has a true answer, thanks     Shelby.***@****
My email again : shelby. s t a n i s @ g m a i l . c o m   (no spaces)
Does only touching of private parts of male and female for two mins can lead to pregnancy??
please help me out on this. are there any chances of pregnancy and how to avoid it.