Sexual Health Community
Husband hiding bondage fetish for 4 years

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

I have been married 10 years.  We have had our ups and downs (normal marriage issues), but never lies or infidelity.  I was on my home computer and some how got to the google accounts page and saw web history.  I never knew google tracked all your searches from whatever computer you are using....work, home, etc.  I decided to have a look and found some pretty graphic material.
Sexual Sadism (bondage) that was all I found.  I kept searching, hoping to find good old plain pornography and nothing.  In every video he downloaded , search or site he visited it was always of women(s) being tied up and the man in control.  These women were tied up EVERYWHERE and usually gagged.  Some of the videos were extreme and did not look like the girl was really enjoying it, but in pain.
Our sex life has always been good, but he has never shared this fetish or desire with me.  I am hurt and in shock.  I feel like he probably hasn't been sexually fullfilled for the last 4 years while he has been looking at this stuff.  I wish it was just pornograpy, but I this is different.  He did it at home when he was "working late" and on his business trips.  He told me he would watch this stuff maybe once a month, when he first started,  but over the last year it has grown to a weekly event.  He is trying everything to make me feel better, but I am shocked that I did not know this detail about my husband.  I am not putting sexual sadism down, I have the attitude of whatever floats your boat then all power to you.  My issue is that he could not share it with me.  I would have probably been open to certain things.  
Oh well, my issue now is since this finding, he has lost an erection MANY times during sex.  This has never happened in our 12 year marriage until now.  I even went out and bought some handcuff paraphernalia.......sad I know!  We tried it out and he could not get hard.  He told me he feels bad about his lies and just didn't feel right about it.  I agreed and put it away and every few times he again has a hard time without the gadgets.   He told me he started looking at this stuff because he felt ovewhelmed and it was a release.    Insight on this would be much appreciated.  
A couple i thought of while reading your post.

1) You were shocked when you discovered what he was into, but in reality, your ok with it. "I would have probably been open to certain things". Does he know this??

2) He probably never had an issue being intimate with you, and maybe wanted to keep the bondage fetish to himself for his own pleasure. I think the loss of erections is probably due to him not wanting to participate in what he knows as his private fetish. He may have felt ashamed with you finding out?
One possibility is that he really wanted to keep it as his private fetish (for many possible reasons, but it does not mean that he disrespects you in any way). Now, as you found out, he can really feel ashamed or embarrassed and it is just natural that if something sexually-related happened to him (now it was your discovery of his secret activities and  following discussions and his feelings of embarrassment), then it was so soon reflected in his problems with erections.
If I were you, I would try not to overanalyze it with him, if he feels uncomfortable with it. Try not to speak about it, try to let him know that everything is ok and everything can be ok between you and him and that your sex life can go on in the way how it used to work before this discovery. You know him better than me, so maybe you can think of some other ways how to help him feel more relaxed in this or how to let him see (without unnecessary analyzing) that sex with you can go on in the old good tracks again.
I understand your feelings and fears / disappointment/shock etc...I don´t want to sound as if I underestimated it, I just tried to think of some possible way how to stop these problems from ruining his sex life with you (erection problems probably caused by sex-related stress etc...).
If possible, try to persuade yourself that real life sex is one thing and fantasy sex is another thing (his bondage pictures belong here, not to the first category of real sex), and these two things are not always combined together (the same case is rape fantasies which many women have, but would not prefer it in reality).
Easier said than done, I know, and I really do not know how I would react if I discovered something similar with my partner.
Best of luck in everything,
severin76
I agree with the other two posters....Look at it this way, he's expressing his fetish in a way that's safe for you. While it may seem like he's being secretive, when it comes to a fetish like bondage or sadism, he's actually protecting your intimacy in a way (whether that's his intention, or incidental is up for debate). He probably feels very dominate and in control when he's watching that porn, and when it came into your bedroom he was unable to keep up the facade of violent dominance because he cares about you and does not want to hurt you...and because the setting was not right (i.e. he could not be dominating) he was not aroused.

This may get me yelled at, but I've got to say it....in today's society, we tend to encourage men to be gentler than their nature needs. I'm not saying it's your fault, quite the opposite in fact, you are being very supportive. Men can be gentle, but they also have a harder side that if it's completely denied can be frustrating and cause serious emotional imbalances (I believe). You're doing the right thing by acknowledging his desire to feel dominant and strong, but just let him choose his own path. If he simply cannot do it out of awkwardness, that's his decision, but you are absolutely right to offer him the option. I understand why you feel hurt by his hiding it, but it's understandable why he hid it...I think we all have private fantasies that we like to keep to ourselves because of the possibility of ridicule (of course you obviously didn't ridicule, but he probably had the words "You look at WHAT?! You freak!" running through his head).
Hi, same type of thing with my husband, very into bondage but held it back from me because he thought I would find him stange. Once he new I was fine with it to an extent, then he started to relax. Try not to worry to much all men have their funny ways, just some more than others.
Hi, I have the same problem - the only difference is that my husband does actually act on it and he wants the woman to hurt him.  I found out that he has been doing it for about seven years behind my back.  We once spoke about this after we got marraid, he wanted me once to do it, and I did but it was not a game to me.  I was thinking of the damage it can do etc.  We have sex sometimes, I am the one that loves sex and would want to have it everyday ...being more adventurous and he is not.  So would someone explain to me how to deal with this.  I recently found out that he actually went to different woman and even tried to ask one of our close friends to do it to him.  I am not even sure if it stops there...one of the woman came out and said to me that he would touch her breasts and ask her to give him a ******* after getting the erection from the kicking between his legs.  He also ask for foto's of their private parts and sends them video clips and pictures of himself.  So please give comment on this.....
I have discovered my husband of 11 yrs. is obsessed with bondage/S&M and I am NOT ok with it!!! This stuff is not sex!?!? Gagging and hurting women!!?!? WHO IS THIS MAN?? I am devastated!! I just found his "stash" of thousands upon thousands of videos & images he has saved over the course of entire marriage! This disturbs me.. Nothing about that stuff is love!! And call me old fashion but to me, sex is an expression of love not a sadistic ritual of shame and pain thrust upon women..I just don't get it.. I am struggling really back here!! I just need to wrap my head around how that if that is what turns my husband on sexually.. how could I ever have then!?!?!?! Has the last 11 yrs. been a lie to cover up this side of him???
I agree..I am female and into extreme bondage BUT only online and as an online viewing participant. This is my private thing ; a fantasy ONLY that satisfies something inside of me....and I don't like to share it with my significant other at all. It is not his thing and when he tries to get into it, its just so phony and corny it turns me off. I just enjoy our everyday sex life, and it suits me just wonderfully. However, when the mood strikes, esp when I am alone or my hubby is away..I go online and privately enjoy. Your husband sounds similar to me-  so don't read "we are missing something" into it. It is his private thing, and nothing to do with the love and desire he has for you.