Sexual Health Community
Low Libido, Drug Related?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

Low Libido, Drug Related?

I began taking Microgestin FE 120 when I was 16 years old, and then got started on Effexor for depression when I was 17. I am now 21 and have finally come to terms with the fact that I had only begun to experience some sexual desire at around age 16, but have not experienced any sexual desire since around that time. I simply do not know what steps I should take now to get to a normative level of sexual desire. My doctor said that switching antidepressants would be approximately a three month long process (weaning myself off of Effexor and then beginning to take Wellbutrin was the suggested route) and I'm hesitant to jump right into that because Effexor has been great for treating my depression and it seems like it is all just guesswork anyway. Any suggestions?
About half of all people taking an SSRI or SNRI with experience some amount of sexual dysfunction during the first two months of using the medication. Unfortunately for about 5% of people sexual dysfunction will continue for as long as the medications is taken. Wellbutrin is an NDRI (nor-epinephrine dopamine reuptake inhibitior) and is one of only a few anti-depressant's with no documented sexual side effects. So long as you follow your doctors recommendations for gradually reducing the use your current medication you should have a successful transition over to Wellbutrin. An NDRI should provide you with the anti-depressent qualities you need; plus the added benefit of no further sexual dysfunction.