Sexual Health Community
Pain in vagina when aroused and painful orgasm?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

I am in my early teens and have been masturbating since a very young age. For about a year now, when I get very aroused, my vagina begins to cramp and sore up and it feels very uncomfortable. When I masturbate with this pain, the contractions during orgasm are very painful as well. I don't know what's causing this problem or how I can fix it, but I would really like to fix it.
I've also noticed that my genital area seems to be a little redder than should be normal, but I'm not quite sure what "normal" is. It is very red, though.
I am a virgin, and only sometimes stick my fingers up my vagina.
Any help is appreciated.
You probably have some sort of infection because you didn't wash your hands before you masturbated. It could  be anything from bacterial vaginosis to just a simple yeast infection. You need to see a doctor to make sure it's not anything serious.
Have you been to a gynecologist yet?
I don't have a gynecologist..I'm only in my early teens. And that's a good point... I admit I don't wash my hands before I masturbate. My discharge can be a little yellowish and sometimes there are little greenish spots in it that almost look like little hairs, but that's only sometimes. Could this be related?
Yes. It's probably a yeast infection....does it itch?
If it smells...and you said it is yellow with greenish spots...I think could be bacterial vaginosis, which can sometimes be linked to a yeast infection.
The only way to know for sure is to get a pelvic exam.
How early in your teens are you?
If you're like 12-14, go to your regular doctor...and she/he might refer you to a gynecologist.
If you're 15-18, ask your mom to see a gynecologist...you need to get checked out for cervical cancer and HPV anyways.
hi. i'm also a virgin, and i rarely penetrate when i masturbate - but I am experiencing the same pain. the muscles tighten and the pain comes sharp when im aroused, and with orgasm, it cramps up with the contractions. i feel like I'm pretty clean before/after masturbating - could it be the same thing? should i just go have it checked out none the less?
Hi, I'm 25, have been sexually active since 17 and have developed the same symptoms as you. I have experienced this pain for about 6 months when aroused and during orgasm. It seems to be to do with muscles contracting. I wonder if its because I need to do more pelvic floor exercises??!! I dont have any infection, have been checked out. Got a pap smear coming up so maybe that will shed some light!!
I hope you've managed to sort it out...
I am 42 years old i started experiencing this pain about 7 years ago, I've told my doctor several times and she finds nothing, she acts like I'm speaking another language. Unfortunately Ive learned to live with it, but lately I obsess  over it all the time, I have a beautiful husband and I'm nervous every time we start to have sex because of my pain. Its in the lower entrance of my vagina when I'm aroused and during orgasm, sometimes for no reason I get stabbing shooting pains there also.
This is the first time I have heard of anyone else having this, i thought I was the only one and was embarrassed to talk about it to friends, I also always think there's something horribly wrong. I anyone has info please let me know. Oh And Lauren that's ******** about the not washing your hands that has nothing to do with it.
Omg!!!! I'm officially not a freak. Someone else is going threw the same thing. I'm 26 and have been sexually active since was 15..... I went to the doctor with this problem and he told me it was all in my head then gave me a muscle relaxes. I'm not sure what to do..... the pain is getting worse. I no longer want to have sex anymore bc of it. So if anyone has heard of anything that helps tell me
Im experiencing the same thing. For about 4 months now. Theres no way this many people have the same symptoms and the doctors dont know what it is. Its really annoying tho because i have a new boyfriend and im afraid to have sex with him because of it. Idk what to do.
I also have this and am very concerned. I'm 23 and it probably started about two years ago. I was worried it was because I over-masturbated because I havn't had a boyfriend for a long time - but I hope that's just being ridiculous. It really is quite painful and i don't want to have to live with it forever! I went ot the doctors last summer about it and started a whole chain reaction which ended up with me having an operation for endometriosis. However, don't worry, cos I think that was all a wild goose chase.. the problem is definitely still there. The only advice a doctor has so far given me is that it is either a) a non-sexually transmitted infection (which can't be tested for because its just your body's own bacteria gone a bit awry). or b) endometriosis of the cervix/uterus walls (which they can't actually ever find out if you have because its so well hidden - they only find it after they do a hysterectomy which i certainly don't want!)... however, i'm going to keep pursuing it with different doctors/gynacologists. the above posts are right - if this many women are experiencing exactly he same thing then there must be a rational explanation for it!
please,please, if anyone else's doctor's give them any sensible answers do post back - i'm concerned about my future fertility ect.
I'm also 23 and I have the same problem! I've had it really bad for about 3 1/2 years now! However, I only get the pain/discomfort with penile penetration and I can't even orgasm through intercourse because the pain ruins everything and makes me feel nauseous.

I feel bad for my boyfriend because he thinks he's not turning me on and he's the one hurting me. It makes me really depressed at times.

I am so worried I have something that will impact on my fertility! I've just had some simple tests done to check for STI's and if they come back negative. My doc will refer me to a specialist. The whole process takes such a long time and I'm fed up of waiting for answers.

omg, im so relieved to hear I´m not the only one experiencing this.. I´m 24 years old, and been sexually active since I was 17yo. Never experienced this sort of pain ever before until about 6 months ago.. thought I was just imaging it first as I tend to be a bit paranoid about STI´s. But the pain has been there since, usually starts when I get turned on, and especially right before orgasm, and sometimes on and off a bit after orgasm as well. It has made me loose interest in sex as I get so worried it will come on and ruin the act, which is no good for me or my bf. So if anyone have heard of anything that possible can help for this sort of pain, please let us know !
I also went to the doctor a few weeks ago to have another check up, and had no infections and a clear pap smear. When I asked about the pain (and tried to explain it the best way possible) she just said it was quite normal to feel a bit soar and tender etc during intercourse, but didn´t get the impression she actually understood what I was talking about :(
uh, that sounds like yeast infection b/c of green hairy swollen red, i'll stop. but it could also be muscular tension, shy/tense/sexual unconfident (i.e. teen) girls can hold themselves more tightly subconsciously as a response to stress/ nervousness etc. and that constant straining of those muscles can cause that whole region to seize up and cause a surprising amount of pain. ever lifted weights for the first time in a long time or grind your teeth? its not painful because your mind takes away the pain while your not moving those muscles (internally or while masturbating) same as a sore muscle but the pain can feel different because of how long its been building. sex/masturbation can fix this in light cases, keeping the area under the bath tub faucet with warm running water or massaging tension points (located above the clit on either side is a pea sized sore spot, dig deep, you'll find it). it should clear up in a week or so, or at least you'll notice a difference.
Probably not a simple case of tension/lack of confidence.  And it's NOT normal to feel sore during intercourse, that doctor is probably speaking from her own negative experience.  It is absolutely unacceptable for doctors to write this off as in our heads or no big deal.  I'm 46, not tense, plenty confident and have been having pain free, normal sex for 30 years.  Just the past couple of weeks getting painful cramps during orgasm, not before, lasting only briefly after.  Very frustrating and makes me not want to bother with sex at all!  I'm suspecting endometriosis, as it can cause scar tissue that binds different areas together which might cause pulling/cramping feelings when the uterus contracts during orgasm.  My daughter was diagnosed with endometriosis, had laproscopic procedures to cauterize it on the outside of her uterus. This can be treated without hysterectomy!  Don't let them rob you of your reproduction!!!  Too many doctors act like we're just 'hysterical' when all we want is to enjoy life inside healthy bodies.  The uterus is definitely connected to orgasm and how we experience it, and it is a real and very personal loss to have it removed.  

Grrr!!!  Sorry, you all got me started!  There are solutions, there have to be.  My daughters endo has come back (in most cases it will) but her pain has resolved since she reduced stress by ending the lousy relationship she'd been in.  If it's endo, stress will definitely make it worse.  
I am 32 and been experiencing the same thing (painful arousal and orgasm), but it only happens after my period.  Finally, I find that I am not alone. My doctor also says that there is nothing wrong and assures me that it will probably pass. I have been having this issue for about 6 months now.
I am a 22 year old female. I have been having this pain during arousal and during orgasm since August of 2011. When I first noticed it I thought maybe I was just about to get my period and had mild cramping. The pain got worse and when I went to the doctor they treated me for PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) even though I had no signs of bacteria just white blood cells. It didn't get any better...I abstained for the next couple of months which seemed to help a little and I avoided masturbation. But once I started having sex again the pain came back...I thought maybe it was an STD and I had all kinds of std tests done everything came back negative...AGAIN, I was treated for PID even though I had no bacteria! The pain did not go away and that was in January...about 3 weeks ago the pain got really bad and had to go to the hospital...the doctor told me that I didn't have abnormal amounts of bacteria and that I had an abundant amount of white blood cells as well as a lot of discharge..so she treated me for BV. Again, it did nothing and it only made things worse and gave me a yeast infection! I got treatment for the yeast but I have excruciating pain with arousal and orgasm so I avoid it all together...I also now have swelling on the outside of my vagina and small black dots! I am at a loss since every doctor Ive seen tells me I have a high amount of white blood cells present on my cervix but no stds no yeast/bacteria infections! Has anyone gotten treated for this yet??? :(
Actually it could have alot to do with it; she may have touched something with the right bacteria on it and since she doesn't wash her hands before masturbating (which I find disgusting, no offense but I could never touch a doorhandle or whatever that someone may have touched with hands that previously masturbated or got sneezed into, or picked a nose, and then go and touch my second most cherished parts (the first being my eyes) with that? Eww, no thank you.) and once she penetrated herself, all of those bacteria would have a warm, isolated and essentially perfect area for bacteria to grow; unless you shoot water up there every time you shower *sarcasm* then those bacteria will live happily ever after, ending in any sort of unpleasant infection.
Hi I'm 24 years old have been having sex since I was 15 .... All of your symptoms are pretty much the same as mine and I've had them since I was 15 :/ .... It's kind of something you learn to live with ... Endometriosis causes all of these things ... And yeast infections and shooting pain just comes with it. But I advise you to get checked out . It's laparoscopic and not really painful but it should be treated or can cause more issues in the long run. Endometriosis is not racists it affects all woman at any ages 11-..... Basically whenever you start your first menstrual  cycle .... And when you are diagnosed take care of yourself . Any pain mention it to your dr so their aware if it's getting worse .
No you dont have an infection,dont listen to other people,i would seek medical attention and try and solve the problem it doesnt sound good at all
I have been having these same pains for 18 years. I am currently 27 and got my period when I was 9 years old and since the beginning I had severe cramps during my period, menstrual irregularity, and when I became sexually active later in life I had no idea why when I would get turned on or have sex I would feel like my stomach hurt and I was nauseas. For years my mother had told me the pain from my period was normal so I grew accustomed to it, like many do and they push it off as dismennorhia. I had no idea the pain would eventually just turn into nausea. Since I couldn't tell the difference between pain and nausea anymore they ended up doing multiple exploratory procedures on my digestive tract. They ended up taking my gall bladder for slower function. That helped a little but always still nauseas. Now at 27, I wasn't feeling well again but it was slightly different this time. Sex was becoming like a chore. Almost like aversion therapy, every time i would even get slightly aroused it hurt. It was hard to distinguish the pain and where it was because it just made me feel sick to my stomach but I knew it was different. I went to the hospital where they found my appendix more than double the size of what it should have been. When they removed it they found a pelvic inflammatory disease but didn't know why so to follow up with an ob/gyn. When I went to him, a new doctor from anyone I had before as I had just moved recently, he talked to me about everything and he was very confident it was endometriosis. He explained how not many doctors know the effects of it and how it can cause all the pain I had been having during periods and during sex. He also explained how it can be microscopic even and that pain can sometimes be even worse because there is no way to tell without scraping the tissue and looking at it under a microscope so many women go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. We decided on an exploratory laparoscopy to find out. During the surgery he had found both my ovaries wrapped in the endometrial tissue. Only hours after the surgery I realized that was the spot it had always hurt. I realized the nausea was from exactly that spot. I am only 4 days post op now and I can't have sex yet but I thought that wouldn't matter for me to give anything. For the first time ever, I was turned on and not feeling sick and hurting. It was like the past 18 years of my life were a joke. Something so simple could be causing everything.  Something so simple misdiagnosed time and again so my abdomen was cut into for 3 seperate surgeries but never helped the pain. I finally feel hopeful and not sick. I implore all of you having these pains to go to your doctor and if your doctor is just dismissing it like many of mine did, find a new doctor. Preferably one that specializes in endometriosis. It is so hard to diagnose and even a doctor not having enough knowledge about it that is looking for it because it can be microscopic can miss the signs and you can feel like you are on a wild goose chase. Now I might have some times ahead with hormone therapy to make sure it doesn't come back, but it is a start. I never had that before. Please look into it and good luck to all of you and remember what I have been in tears about for days, "it really wasn't in my head."
Hi, i have only just came across your post - hopefully you are still in contact with this site. I am experiencing the same problem - it is getting to the point that i am suffering anxiety from this all!

I was given 14days worth of antibiotics for PID. tomorrow i will have finished my course, but every symptom is still there (and have gained a few others)

I keep worrying about whether or not i have something more "serious". I have entered my symptoms into google... not a good move. :(

Did you manage to find out what was causing your issue? and did you suffer from lower abdomincal pain? sore pain around cervix, leg ache, high fever and fatigue?

Would be really helpful if you could reply...thanking you
Just discovered this sitr and your symtoms (symptoms) and all you have gone through i can completrly relate too i notice you posred this a wile ago are you still experiencing these oains i am desperate for help and am so angry and frustrated with gp and gyny students basically calling me a liar and its all in my head!,,
Hello Ladies,

I have had the same problem for about 2 months now and am going to the docs on monday.  I get pain only when orgasm hits just at the entrance of my vagina on the right hand side and its been getting worse.  The feeling is like a swollen gland so I looked up gland in the vagina and theres two at the opening called the BARTHOLIN'S GLAND.  This produces secretions when aroused and during orgasm and if there is an infection it can block which causes pain when its activated.  The Bartholins gland can get cysts or an absess (abscess). I am slightly swollen on this side so Im hoping that this is the cause and that with antibiotics and a check over by the nurse it will sort it out.  I will keep you posted.  But hopefully this is of some help to some!
Glad I found this page as I thought I was just strange!!
I am 25 and have been sexually active since I was 16, when I met my husband.  I have only had one partner and I regularly get my pap smear and get tested, I have always had a clean pap smear.  I was not very sexually curious before I met my husband and had never masturbated.  Actual sexual intercourse feels amazing and does not bother me, but when it is external stimulation (when he is giving me oral or when I am using a vibrator against my clit) is when I experience pain.  I alway hit this "almost" orgasm where I am so close to pleasure and then the pain begins.  I have told my husband that it feels almost electric the way it hurts.  He can give me oral stimulation till I hit that point and then begin traditional intercourse and the pain will immediately stop upon penetration.  I cannot find anyone who understands what I am talking about or has any suggestions to help.  I have lived with this for 9 years, but I am tired of it.  My husband is in the military and deployed right now and I am terrified to masturbate because of the pain.  It is making for a very frustrating year and I am finally seeking answers.  Anyone who can help, please.
im 16 and have realised i have a small tight vagina and *** hole i find it difficult to use tampons as they will only half fit and i get a intense pain when i masturbate and feel really sexually aroused and dont have any infections though i do get pain ful periods could this be why?
I know this is an old post but I'm experiencing these same symptoms and I was wondering if anyone has found out what the problem is?
The problem might be endometriosis. I hope I spelled that right. It can cause extreme pain during your period and sex. I had it for years and did'nt know what was going on.  See your Gynecologist.
II’m 42 and the pain started for me 4 months ago. When I was in the ER.. I asked a nurse about it she thought I was CRAZY, NEVER HEARD OF SUCH THING. It’s so painful when I have an orgasm, it first started on my right side now it has moved all over. I don’t know why and would love to find out. It makes me sick, nauseated.
The nurse never heard of this kind of pain, or endometriosis? You need to find a really good Gynecologist to have some testing done. There are several reasons why you may be having this pain.
I am 27 years old, I have had the pain every time I have ever tried to reach an orgasm during sex. I had never masturbated until my husband told me to try it this year, to find out if I recieve the pain, the same as during sex. I couldn't reach climax because the pain was too much. But to put some fears to rest, the pain doesn't have any affect on pregnancy. Even through painful sex, I have 3 children. I finally asked my doctor about it at my last appointment, they had never heard of it, were baffled, and the male doctor was curious if it was mental.
23 same problem. Started when I was taking my birth control pills continuosly with no period for a couple months. Used to be that I just stop taking my pills for a week (have my regular period) and the pain would stop, but that isnt the case anymore. All orgasms are painfull, I imagine it feels similar to when men have their nuts smashed... because I usually have the same reaction. I've also had ovarian cysts and more recently pre-cancerous cells on my cervix.
I finally went to multiple doctors and found my answer.  My pain is caused by a hormone imbalance that leads to excessive blood flow and blood pooling.  They do offer pills and shots that correct this, but the side effects were not worth it for me considering my limited range of pain.  They also said that sometimes the body will correct this error naturally so I am hoping that is the case.  For those of you with a more severe pain than me, the side effects may be worth it and it may be worth going and having your hormone levels tested.  Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone.
ive had the same pain but it only hurts when i start to get turned on once im fully turned on it isnt painfull i havent had sex in 3 years so im not sure if that would hurt but it dosent hurt when i masterbate or when i have an orgasm very uncomfortable in the beging then it gos away i dont understand it.
I'm 26 and have had vaginal pain for a couple years now. So painful in fact, that I/we have to stop everything and I sit up, it hurts worse. This is nuts that so many women have this problem! I'm actually wondering if mine is caused from Mirena.
Thank you, thank you all, I thought I was going nuts.I am 45, I have 5 children, (so I'm not inexperienced or young) I had a hysterectomy 16 years ago but recently have started to get very painful sensation after orgasm, if my partner is still inside after I've orgasmed then it's extremely painful. That sharp stabbing pain up through where my cervix used to be? I thought I was the only one!! I agree it's very difficult to accurately describe the feeling, especially when I'm talking about an area I no longer have! that pain thats like somebody just stuck a needle inside you, doesn't last for long but oh my, its strong enough to stop you in your tracks and gasp.

The bruised feeling can last for a couple of days after :(
Im 24 and also have terrible stabbing pain to the left of my vagina and back towards my anus right before during and after orgasm. I've been experiencing this for about 3 years. I have hpv and endometriosis I've had surgery for both and i still have this problem. I've talked to many doctors about this and nobody has any answers for me!! I'm so sick of feeling this way!! I am glad so many others are experiencing the same thing, i thought i was crazy!!! Unfortunately I don't think there is a cure. I've had the surgery and nothing had helped. I think its scar tissue thats attached to your muscles and when you contract during an orgasm it pulls. It is very painful and i have to massage the area after orgasm for any relief. I know this isn't a very positive post, but i think we just have to live with it. It's really depressing because I've definitely lost my sex drive and at 24 thats terrible!!! I just don't know what to do anymore.
I had an hysterectomy 12 months ago & since then when i orgasm i have a short sharp pain. But my pain is in my clitoris. When i recovered from the op i masturbated to see how sex would feel. When i orgasmed i had this sharp pain, but it was worse. It felt like it was in my rectum & my vagina. Now its just my clitoris but its still worrying. Do you think that i have not yet fully recovered from the op?
Hey, my name is Ariel. I'm 18 and have been serially active since I was thirteen. I am also experiencing the same pain and have been for about a year now. It's also difficult for me to get wet because of the pains I've been having. I've even checked and it's not an infection or anything. The doctors have no idea what's wrong. I need help. :/
allie the pain you described is "exactly" the same with mine. And it starts on the left side as well. I have had similar pains for almost 10 years. It comes and goes, sometimes i have it for several months and sometimes disappears. None of the doctors I have seen have found an explanation for this. I thought I might never learn the cause of this but at least I can try to strengthen my nerves. If you don't have any problems with vitamin b12, i might recommend you to try this. And pls share info if you find out an answer.

Yes please! I'm almost 24, have had sex with only one guy, my husband, since I was 16. I started experiencing this after having a vaginal infection and yeast infection that lasted months before I was rid of it. I have reoccurring UTIs, but not so much recently. I'm better now but have the remaining symptoms of painful arousal, intercourse, and orgasms. I thought it was caffeine that triggered it since I started drinking coffee the beginning of the year. Drs say it isn't related but idk. I got relaxing pills but idk if they help much. Been to many drs with ultrasound and many tests! No closer to a cause. Any info, please post!
this is normal. Most women experience this sort of thing. A "painful orgasm" is often caused because of lack of female hormones. This stage will pass. The pain will come more than once and might not stop coming for some time. This pain is also linked to the menopause. If you are experiencing this and you want to be sexually active without the pain you can take a painkiller before having sex. If that does not help, gently putting something warm on your abdomen helps