Side effects of chronic masterbation
I've always been of the mind that masterbation is safe and healthy as long as a significant other is not being neglected because of it. However I'm currently writing an article, and would like to make sure I'm not steering readers wrong. Litteraly hours of surfing the net has not yielded any long term side effects of chronic masterbation, aside from chaffing of the skin, which of course is not long term and would only occur with very vigorous or very chronic masterbation.

Please get back to me with any information on the effects of chronic masterbation, what would be a normal range for how many times an average male masterbates, what would be the effects of masterbating a great deal more or less, if any.

I apologize if you have answered this before, I did look at several threads on different aspects of masterbation, but nothing that answered this question directly.

Thank you,
After I masterbate My eyes get really red at times, usually if i do it twice in a day. What can I do to stop my eyes from being red and sore?
for as i know it can decrease your sexual urges/sexuality. But masturbation is perfectly heathly :3 men or women.
Hey guys, i have a serious problem with masturbation. Well recently i have been masturbating quite alot, id say 2-3 a day.i have been masturbating since i was 12 years of age.I was share this pratices by a friend of mine and forked out of my innocents.I REALLY BADLY WANT TO STOP HOWW?!?!
i masterbate alot  20 times a day if not more, when im done i get mad and claustrophobic  and fell i have to go back and do it again, i have sex regularly to  i dont want to masterbate anymmore but i have other things and reasons why i cant reay stop and to tel the truth im kind of scared to masterbate sometimes because i am relived but then if the first time didnt satisfy me i get so angry i want to break something its becoming a problem, i am 19 i have been doing this since i was 6 so my question is there any side effects that show like weekness or something like that and can i truly be helped
you just have to calm your mind friend its hard i know i am an addict to porn sex and i used to beat of twice a day and stroll site to site i just learned to turn off the computer the moment you think of watching it im talking cold turky remember you will not normaly do bodaly harm with jerking off but if you are trying rectal stimulation you are risking alot you can cause internal bleeding you need to stop that ok stay up front so to speak if you have any problems there are many channels to go though for help if you are willing to look i wish all with this problem the best
can red eyes be an eeffect of masterbating?
can u get red eyes from masterbating as a girl? or can you become deaf or blind?
You have to replace it with something that will build your confidence and something that you can share with others without being taken advantage of- sports, hobbies etc.
Hi, I've been masturbating since I was 13. It's really gotten serious and I'm actually very scared about it. When I first began, it was usually just once a day or every other day (due to the fact lack of time or privacy to do so). As a teen, I always involved with varies activities and interests such as playing music in a band, art, writing, karate, hanging out with friends.

I moved out on my own when I was 18 and that's when I began masturbating alot more (daily; 1 -2 times a day). Eventually depression set in when I started having trouble with keeping an erection with a member of the opposite sex. I also got very lonely. It got so bad that I went from holding two jobs to not being able to keep one due to severe depression and anxiety. In my early twenties I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and was permanently out of work on Disability. I was also on medication but it had extremely adverse affects on me - in turn, I masturbated even more (2 - 4 times a day, plus I had also begun edging).  Eventually I began loosing drive for life and interests in actively pursuing goals that I had once had, even loosing interests in hobbies. Now at 30, I feel hopeless and afraid of the future. I can't seem to concentrate or focus on anything and all I do is masturbate. I'll usually wake up in the morning with the intent to do something different, but then end up wasting my day watching porn and edging until it is night again. Sometimes, I won't eat or drink water because I am so focused on what I'm doing. I want to stop but find myself always giving into the mental addiction and physical or separate - if only one of the two presents itself. I'm wasting my life on this and feeling nothing but shame and sorrow from it. I have no interest in dating or mingling with anyone on a romantic or sexual relationship.

I really need help. Is this something that i should find help at a Sex Addicts support group? Every time I've sought advice through a google search, it always seems to lead me to a forum where a 16 year old kid is worried he's a chronic masturbater because he does it once a day and 25 people assuring him it's normal at his age. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
OMG! The posts on this thread are ridiculous. Masturbation is normal and in nature, most mammals do it. There are NO health consequences. It does not make you go blind, cause you to lose hair, have "bone pain", or lead to bi-polar disorder. If this was true, people in monogamous relationships that have frequent sexual intercourse would suffer the same fate. When you masturbate, you are manipulating yourself into an orgasm. That's it. If you feel shame, depression, etc., it's because you are listening to the propaganda that many religions teach. I do agree that if your masturbation becomes chronic (several times a day), or you avoid intimacy with your partner because you'd rather take care of yourself, you may have an addiction issue. However, there are NO related physical HEALTH issues due to masturbation. In fact, some health experts claim that it is beneficial to preventing prostate cancer. Please stop spreading misinformation. People should not be afraid to do something that is SO NORMAL.
I am wondering why hypnosis is not considered for stopping or reducing masturbation. There are no. of websites selling recorded hypnosis material. You will find what can go wrong with excessive masturbation. You may also google for yog Nidra which stronger and more effective than hypnosis.One can do male deer exercises and kegel exercises to control sexual act.
Masturbation and too much sexual desires in general severely hurts your health. Each time you masturbate, you are pulling the Qi from your Kidney, whose job is to store the excessive Qi from you for later use in your life. It is the vital energy that you need to live. Weakening your kidney to certain degree will cause all kinds of diseases, including but not limited to: fatigue, memory loss, losing focus, hair loss, prostate problems, stroke, and even diabetes. You cannot replace your sperm by simpling taking supplements or vitamins, because it contains the Qi that's nearly irreplaceable. A man under thirty takes 8 days to cover the Jing (Essence) it lost from ejaculation. As you get older, it takes longer.

Having a good understanding will be a good step toward stopping masturbation. Wish you will walk out of darkness and have a better life.

i too live to masturbate.  i'm retired and i now have the time to indulge as much as i want.  i watch all types of porn vids.  there are times when i have played with it for 6 to 7 hours.  i just love it.
hi , i know masturbation frequently is good, but wat actual side effect..are, any thing too much is bad,byz by nature ony humans have that option .. to masterbation daily
Is there any connection between peeing a little leak, just a tiny little, of red with mostly your average urine color and too much masterbatio/how we handle our penis to masterbate? The reason I ask this is that I just went to take a leak after masterbating (many times watching porn) and I just notice while peeing that my urine appears to have a tiny faint of red (obviously blood probably), though it didn't mix up with my usual yellow/green urine in the toilet bowel. Plus i noticed that theress kind of a red kind of bruise mark on the tip of the penis, making seems like it was bleeding but wasn't. NOTHING hurted when this occurred, just the arousal  good sex impulse feeling  in my penis and also if this has to do with this, my penis wasn't circumstize at birth. I know this a long and silly question, but I just want to find out for myself if any physical (internal/external) damage can happen on the penis caused by masterbating.
I'm 34 yrs old, married, and have been masturbating since I was 8, exposed to porn since 6.  I've masturbated daily, from once a day to many times during the day.  I can even recall dedicating an entire 4 days to masturbating from the time I woke, until it was time to sleep (with breaks in between, of course).  Yet, I've not experienced ANY of the physical ailments or side effects that others do, such as back/testicular/groin pain, hair loss, vision loss, etc.  EVERY orgasm was pleasurable and glorious, and helped relieve stress, urges, loneliness, etc.  I do occasionally experience E.D. during sex, however...the reason being the inability to  the level of excitement and pleasure that masturbating and watching porn does for me.

But, personally, the biggest side effect that I've developed is masturbating when I am sleeping, and having NO recollection or memory of ever doing it, whatsoever.  It took my wife to tell me that I masturbate at night, dreaming of having sex with people in my past and, even worse...calling out their names.  Apparently, I've been masturbating in my sleep as long as she's known me (10 years), but only told me about 2 years ago.  

Is there anyone else here who has the same problem as I do?
im 28yrs old ive been doing it since i was like 10 and it has always very very often give me several day long bouts of extream stomach cramping and diarrhea and if i happen to do it again durring this it of coarse makes it worse and last longer, other than that because of internet pictures and such it can become an addiction.. which it has so u deffinatly have the mental aspect of it as well. btw if u have any good solution to the stomach issue at the top i would love to hear it . also i currently take dicyclomine 4 times a day and it doesnt help with this at all.
thats only because society makes it seem against free will. your just afraid that people would think its bad (even though they have no proof it is). so you try to hide it which, in turn, makes you feel guilty and shameful.
i am 42 age old doing it since 14 i could not feel any thing bad effect.but if you put more musle power it will be harmfull. Natural way of intercourse is more good to over all health,what can do one without a mate? sex is innevitable in life natures creation is such a kind, every one having the right to enjoy. if we do not getting satisfied sex life it will worse our behaviour,health,immunopower, social approch many things.however, as any material luck like money,home,vehicles,good health,education,good job,business getting  a regular good sexual life is definitly one of a another  luck.every one cannot attain this.unlike another  material lucks we can have it through masterbation that is the nature given advantage of it.
in my experience, too much masturbation can make you feel like you can't breath or are having trouble breathing and make you exhausted.
If your masturbation brings you relief from some tension that is not progressive then masturbation is ok, otherwise no!
I have always had a better climax during masterbation. When I was single I would have a hard time coming and would allow my girlfriend to climax then I would go to the restroom and finish off on my own regardless of how hot the girl was. I am now 56 and still have  the drive of a young man but my wife who is 52 is going through menopause and does not like having sex because it causes her discomfort. I have been married over 16 years and have never cheated on my wife thanks to the fact that I could masterbate and get relief.
I have been doing it since I was 15 and have had no health problems.
Beat the heat not the meat...there goes your back ,liver ,and prostate...to much will ruin all that...there has to be a limit to how many times u pet the one eyed snake..chafffin of the skin can occur and be unconfortable...
I have been mastirbating since I was 13 using dildo, vegetable, vibraors fingers or whatever I could find.... Hasn't effected my life but I wanna stop I am now 18 what do I do@
???
In a sense you are being possessed but by your sexual 'self'  it over powers every other part of your personality...I have had moments when masturbating when one part of my mind has thought I don't want to do this but I had no control over my body and continued until I came. I am female and have been masturbating all my life. There are days when I also think I don't want to watch porn but then it happens again where I get horny and have no control...I think the only way you can over come this is by something like meditation or to find something that will give you more mental control and mental discipline..maybe google mental discipline exercises and see what comes up. Good luck :) I have not overcome this fully yet but I find that being as honest as possible to my partner at explaining my behaviour to him is at least saving our relationship at the moment. The other thing you want to do is get a hobby or something creative that can sap some energy and distract your mind....make sure when you go to bed at night you are really tired and you may find you masturbate less.
I am 29 female and have been masturbating for as long as i can remember..even at a young age when I should not have been and I am also liek you and was exposed to porn and a stupid age. I know exactly what you mean about the different types of 'coming' from masturbating to sex but I find that I have to save it up....I basically made myself a promise that as long as my partner and I are having healthy regular sex that I would not masturbate too often and he agreed...so we said that each other could do it no problem but as long as it does not affect our sex life. We do it most days and have been together for 9 months You need to remember how good it feels to come inside of your lady and at the moment you are spoiling yourself so of course you will get e-d. Try going a day or even a few days and then you jump on your wife, the relief of wanting to come will feel great and your mind will associate that feeling with sex again rather then masturbation...you may have to do it a few times though to re program your brain.
You need a goal. You need to sit down and ask yourself what you want from life. Then you need to plan out how you are going to get there.
There is nothing wrong with masturbating BUT if you are feeling mentally negative about the whole thing and feel that you are not in control of it and feel that your life is not heading in the direction you want because of your need to masturbate then yes I would say it's time to change it up a bit.

Remember that the only reason you masturbate is because your body knows it is the one thing that can give you pleasure. We all seek happiness, that is our drive of being human and at the moment (of posting this) you have no other stimulant in your life....so you need to find that.
I mentioned before that mental discipline can do wonders as it's a constant battle that you have to keep practicing but also exercise is a good distraction, I know I masturbate more when I exercise less and I am like you in that yes physically it is enjoyable but mentally it can feel troubling and not because of religious propaganda but because we know deep down that we are over indulging, we know we are concentrating too much on ourselves when other things need to be sorted in our life.
How do you get fat? By eating too much. Does it taste great? Of course. Do we feel like **** when we look in the mirror and realise our over indulgence has made us fat? Of course. So it's the same with our 'sense of being' I guess you could say. We are all looking to 'do' something with our lives that fulfill is and although masturbating feels good and is fine as a perk, it can't be the 'thing' we do in our life otherwise our 'sense of being' gets fat and weighed down you could say lol.
if you ever do read this.. since its 3years since your post. It is just your penis lubricating it's self so your ejaculation is not painful. I lack the lube you speak of and after i ejaculate for the next few hours i have a god awful burning sensation. I started masturbating when i was a child and this burning has been here all my life only if i ejaculate. So no STD lol as well i have been checked. The lack of the luby oily stuff your affraid of.. i wish i had more of it. It is safe, and a necessity.
in fact, you have have answered all my questions about masturbation.
Also thanks for your advise.
your hair should be washed daily for the most part anyhow, this is part of being human in general not masterbaing
I have never seen so many old tales in my life.  Masterbation is natural as having a healthy relationship with a partner (male or female. straight or gay)and having sex once or more times a day; neither practice will cause you any physical harm.

Most of the problems are related to our culture and the sex is 'dirty'  tales fed to us when we were young.  It is all psychological.  Naturally if you masterbate regularly 3 or more times each day it will affect the amount of sperm you produce in each ejacuation. But other than some skin irritation on the penis there is no problem with 'cronic' masterbation!

Also often masterbation is combined with a fantasy you may have or combined with pornography you are attracted to (ie. watching gay or bi porn when married or watching rough sex which your partner it is not interested in) or both. This doesn't physically affect the body's ability to perform but psychologically it brings into question your real sexual inclination and that in turn may affect your ability to perform with your partner.  Some do not want face this and will continue to hide the truth by suppressing their natural urges  Inevitably this will lead to problems in any relationship and may eventually cause a breakdown in the relationship.

My only real advice is that you should seek professional advice from a Counsellor and do not rely on sites on the Internet.  This may or may not save the relationship you are in but psychologically it may save you from aelf doubt and help with your well being..  To those who are single, then masterbate as much as you want until you are in a relationship (hetrosexual or gay) and then things should take their natural course subject to my comments above.  

Just a few thoughts and I sincerely hope they help you.
Hi ive been wackin my willie for about 4 yrs now.. I slowed down ALOT (2-3 times a week) but the first 3 yrs i was doin it 1+ times a day.. The reason i slowed down is beacause i noticed my wrist had this thick, muscle? that runs down my fore arm.. I was wonderin is this from masturbating too much or what?
can't agree more! same symptom.
Hi David, A lot that is written above only confirms some of the things that are written on  sites around the web, when will you have something written to read from the facts you have been given.
Good Luck
ive been masterbating over 20 years and i think it caused arthritis went to doctor told me there could be some problems with the tendons so i believe there are physical problems it causes
Masturbation itself is safe there aren't any established long-term actual physical difficulties with reasonable genital stimulation routines. Nevertheless, we are able to most encounter several unwanted side effects, whether they tend to be short-term, long-term as well as linked to long-term genital stimulation behavior.
Ive been bateing a ton even at work, i have a younger gf too.  Im really depressed as well, i have no friends no money to do anything productive or fun. I golf when i can afford it. And get drunk on the weekends. So i think spankin it has had a negative impact on my life. I might even be bi-polar, but im afraid to be diagnosed. I had a bad childhood as well, when i was 4 my stepfather disaplined me by having me pull down my pants and lay on the bed and hit me with a leather belt across my butt and legs. Pretty messed up eh? I have 2 kids of my own and have never so much as scolded them , old folks compliment me all time about how well mannered and behaved they are. I only loved them and cherished them. Im all around ****** up i know, but sometimes i get the urge to choke it out of bordom for life . And to keep me from cheating on my GF. But im going to quit jerkin the gherkin to see if it cheers me up and gives me the energy to bone my gf more often.
I've been chronically masterbating for probly 8-9 years since i was 15  26 now and it's gotten me nothing but depression and carpel tunnel in my hand but just quitting cold turkey is so hard... with out having a gf around.. sigh it ***** that i have to give it up but  there's nothing else i can . Every time after i finiahed i'de feel really depressed that i had to resort to masterbation to get off and now recently i been getting rlly sharp pain in the upper part of my wrist and it's constant and it feels like my wrist is just hanging on by a thread of nerve.. so i had to give up Mb before it happened to both hands.

It might be healthy but it does have long term side effects that are not becoming such as carpel tunnel
I also wanted to mention that i have a very large sex drive and it would no tkeep me from boning agf if i had one but yeah it does pass time when you are bored sadly
I have always been a chronic masturbator. I really enjoy looking at porn and masturbating. So I guess I have an addiction to both.

I have been able to set a limit on the number of times I can masturbate in one day. And I have a certain time that I can masturbate. I am usually able to stick to my limits. But I do go over the limit sometimes.

I really look forward to my masturbation sessions. I only miss them if I'm sick, tired or I have company. I feel that I can't sleep if I don't masturbate. It is very hard to limit my masturbating. I do sort of cheat. I like to touch and stroke myself and get hard during the day. But I usually don't masturbate to an ejaculation. And this takes allot of willpower to do.

I do have premature ejaculation. I think I have trained myself to ejaculate fast with frequent masturbating and trying to orgasm as soon as I can.
Will I don't know masterbating feels so good the farthest I did was like 6 times in 1 hr is tat bad I can't stop and I have like depression and I think it is the masterbating
Don't worry, thats fine.  Some of us are like that.  I have a buddy who is 28, he's leaked big time since mid teens and always got lots of ****.   Needs two pairs undies each day else they get too wet.   He's just a lucky lad.
              Hangdog.
I think your wrong. Because even if you din't know the side effects you somehow could tell that something was up, thats why most of us are here.
Satiating your lungs, thirst and hunger is also free will, Yogie. What does your 'demonic possession' have to say about that? So unless you want to stop breathing, eating or drinking, I suggest you think twice about posting your bible-bashing paranoia and fears.
Free will is about not being duped into guilt-trips put on you by religions and cults that wants to control you heart, mind and soul by wrapping it tightly up in a 'demonic' fear.
Get well soon.
I have been masturbating almost every night (at least once) for 20 firkin years now, and there is nothing wrong with me. I am married, have 2 kids (only two because that's all I think I can afford. lol), a good job, and no health problems. If anything It is a benefit and helps me think with my proper brain. Not the small one.
Hi everyone -

Please remember that we are a medical site, and we do not allow overtly religious or spiritual posts on our site.

Also, masturbation is usually a normal activity for most people. Certainly, it can cause issues if taken to the extreme, but it does not cause blindness, baldness, infertility, etc.

Thanks,

Emily
Hi! I read your post. What is Qi your talking about. And you said it is irreplacable. Learning more about this masterbation issue. And wanted to know  what is Qi. Thanks!
I,m not sure if my first response got sent to you. Trying it again. How do you know if its related to masturbation?( out of breath or trouble breathing) Is it a personal belief or you read this somewhere? Will this correct itself with time? Thanks for your help!
Hi, folks,

Since this thread is old and the original participants are no longer taking part, we'll close it now.  If you'd like to ask a question or start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire
______________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us