Sexual Health Community
Vaginal flatulance (not only during sex, all the time)

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

Ive suffered with vaginal flatulence for years and what is worrying is that it happens not only during intercourse but all of the time, realy quite obvious during sit ups. the worse thing is that sometimes i cant even lie normally in bed without air being sucked in and when i get up to go down the stairs the next morn you can hear the fanny farts all the way down the stairs. This seems to be worse first thing in the morning when i guess my vagina has had all night to suck in air? my husband finds it funny but what if other people stay over and they hear it? im worried its been caused by losing my viginity too young. with my first lover he used to blow inside during cunnilingus. Also, this sounds terrible but some girls at school used to have 'fanny farting' competitions, to which they taught me how to participate. since then it became the easiest way to 'fart on demand'. i know all of this sounds hilairous but im worried that all of this hs done me some serious long term damage. i have had 2 children (one c-section) but the wind in the randon wind in the vagina noises has occured long before i had the children. (i did all the pelvic floors etc afterwards) im not sure if im right but i think its worse when im ovulating? just walking round the kitchen when im wearing something loose, i can hear my lips knocking together like a tapping noise. really dont want someone to come round and hear me. i feel too embarassed to go to the doctors as all of this sounds ridiculous right? he will wonder why i paricipated in fanny farting competitions at the age of 13 (this was before i was sexually active by the way) When ive spoken to friends theyve all encoutered it but during sex only, not just from general movement like i have. I have no other symptons that indicate prolapse (i dont think) Please help anyone, is all of this normal for a young woman ??
I'm so sorry you are going through this! I think that your best bet is to see a doctor. I know it is kind of embarrassing but trust me, gynos have heard it all! It could definitely be a sign of minor pelvic prolapse. If there is a smell at all, it could be a small rupture between your colon and vagina. Blowing air into the vagina is very dangerous as it can cause an embolism, so I hope you don't practice that anymore. Don't worry, I'm sure you're not alone in experiencing this and a doctor should have some ideas to help you. Have you tried posting your question in the "Ask an Expert" forum so a doctor can respond?

Vaginal flatulence is an emission or expulsion of air from the vagina that may occur during or after sexual intercourse or (less often) during other sexual acts, stretching or exercise. The sound is somewhat comparable to flatulence from the anus but does not involve waste gases and thus often has no specific odor associated.

They even have slang terms for this... queef and fanny fart

Air is normally kept out of the vagina by the closure of the vaginal walls against each other. But due to the laxity of those walls, air can easily go in and out.

You could start a regimen of exercise including abdominal crunches, leg lifts and knee reaches as well as several hundred kegel exercises every day. this will help to strenghthen the pelvic floor and also help if there if there is any laxity of the vaginal walls.

The only reason that would cause a Red Flag / concern would be when there is a tear somewhere inbetween the vagina and and colon. Can happen to women after child birth, or after having anal sex, or there are other causes also.

Take Care,
~Tonya

I don't get that when I'm going down the stairs or anything, but I can voluntarily fanny fart if I tense my muscles and sort of breathe in - what does this mean? Is it normal?
Yes, you should see your gyno.  This is a common symptom that they are trained to investigate.  I agree that a normal relaxation of the pelvic floor muscles can contribute.  Also, many doctors prescribe estrogen gel to be used in the vagaina.  The idea is that as women get older their estrogen levels decline, and this causes a relaxing of the pelvic muscles.  Applying the estrogen gel can firm up these muscles locally without putting a bunch of estrogen into the rest of your body, which can increase risk of vascular events like heart attack and stroke if taken for a long time.  

Ask about an estrogen gel - it might be very helpful.
This is quite embarrassing for me too. I have a boyfriend and every time we have sex I seem to have air while squeezing my muscles down there and when it queefs, it sounds so bad. Last night it even happened when I was vibrating my clitoris. I wonder why we girls have to go through all these troubles. Please guide me what to do because I feel so embarrassed that sometimes I think to just give up the sex with my partner.
I understand what u have! I have the same thing I really want to go see a dr..I live with roommates and its so ember rising this happen after I had my baby and when I walk to the kitchen at night u could hear it too I hate it! I need help I try exercising but it won't go away??