artificial urinary sphincter
I am planning to have a surgery to implant an artificial urinary sphincter and the date is fast aproaching in about a month.

If anyone has personal experience please share.

I am a 37 years old man, with SCI at L1. Things that interest me around this surgery are (provided all goes well at the time of surgery itself):

am I looking into some short term improvement and then long trem problems - say after 7-8 years? Is my uretra going to be permanently and irreperably destroyed after a long period of using an artificial sphyncter?
    what are the implications around sex, erection, ejaculation - my performance is not very good as is, so if it is going to get worse it is important

The doctor and the doctor's assistant are saying all good things but somehow I am having my doubt, especially after reading some comments around internet (google). I read on the internet that this is really a "final" solution and there is no going back. And that also things tend to get really bad after 8-10 years and "a collection bag" was the only option after that.

Thank you
I am 30 years old and have had an artificial urinary sphincter in me for almost 10 years. I had it put in me because of an accident I was in. I wear a pad because I will still leak a little but one pad normally lasts all day. I change it daily after i shower. I have had good luck with mine but I do get urinary infections a couple times a year and I believe it's because of the sphincter. I was told at the time it was put in me that it's normally good for 30 years. As far as sex, erections, and ejaculation I was married for 4 years and in that time when I'd have sex with my now ex sometimes everything would work great and sometimes not so great. We had tried to have kids the normal way but it never happened for us witch now is a good thing because we didn't least. If you have any other questions that maybe I could help answer for you, you can email me at ***@****