Sexual Health Community
can my hymen get broken by my tampon? help please :(

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

i use a light tampon and i dont know how to check if my hymen is still intact can the tampon brake my hymen?
I've never heard of it happening before but after doing a quick internet search found SEVERAL websites with info claiming it can happen that way as well as being athletic can break it.  here is the info I found on 1 particular link.. hope it helps.

" Identification
The hymen is a thin tissue that covers (partially and to varying extents) the opening of the vagina. Hymens are categorized according to the the shape and extent of the vaginal blockage. For example, an annular hymen forms a near-perfect ring around the vagina. In contrast, a crescentic hymen takes the shape of a crescent. Other types include the imperforate (no opening at all), cribriform (many tiny openings), denticular (resembling teeth), and fimbriated (wholly irregular opening).

History
Historically, the presence of an intact hymen was a sign of virginity. In some cultures, prior to marriage the bride would be examined to determine that her hymen was intact. Failing this examination was cause for public scorn and embarrassment, and could even lead to torture or execution. Thankfully, most cultures have evolved beyond this barbaric treatment, but the misconception that an intact hymen equates with virginity is still disturbingly prevalent.

Misconceptions
The hymen is damaged during sexual intercourse, but that is not the only way in which it can become separated. Athletic activity can cause breakage of the hymen, as can insertion of a tampon or masturbation. Accidents and injuries can also cause the hymen to break.

Effects
Separation of the hymen is usually accompanied by slight pain and some bleeding. This is perfectly normal. In rare situations, some women have reported no discomfort at all. A woman should consult her doctor if either pain or bleeding persists beyond a day or so.

Conclusion
As seen, there is a variety of ways the hymen can be broken in the absence of sexual intercourse. While an intact hymen does indicate virginity, one that is broken does not necessarily indicate the opposite. Although the notion that loss of the hymen signifies loss of virginity still persists, scientific evidence has disproved this myth."

Read more: What Ways Can Your Hymen Break? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5089588_ways-can-hymen-break.html#ixzz1GqUThWBh

Again hope the info helps
Melissa
yes it can. These days, with the busy lives that we lead...exercise, using tampons etc can cause you hymen to break and it is very common. I wouldn't worry about it, if you have not had intercourse you are still a virgin!!
Honey, your hymen can be broken horse back riding.  It means nothing in terms of virginity as mentioned above.  Many many virgins have broken hymens.  Don't let this concern you at all.