Sexual Health Community
changes in areola

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

changes in areola

I am a 24 years old female. I'm sexually active, and use protection. 3 days ago We had a possible oops so I took a Plan B pill just to be certain. This morning I noticed that my nipples are larger and darker, and my areolas are NOTICEABLY larger and darker. I know that there is absolutely no way that I could be pregnant after only 3 days, even if the plan B didn't work.

So my question is, could this change in areolas be a side effect of the plan B?
The only other possibilities I'm seeing when researching seem to be pregnancy or breast cancer and I know I'm not pregnant. I also know that 24 is really young for breast cancer and would it effect both areolas? And that fast? I mean this is literally overnight.
I haven't felt any lumps. The only other changes have been slight swelling and extreme tenderness but
1) my boyfriend tends to be a bit rough on my breasts and
2) that's a known side effect of Plan B.

Help? Ideas? Suggestions? I can't really afford to go see a doctor for about a month.
The main culprit for the darkened areolas is the sex hormones. Progesterone and estrogen cause the body to produce more pigment. Other causes of darkened areolas in women can be due to aging, menstruation and medications. Since it is only after 3 days of intercourse and you had taken the post coital pills, so chances of pregnancy are less.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.