Sexual Health Community
excessive sex/masturbation and anxiety/panic disorder?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

I have been a HEAVY masturbator since i was 13. In my early to late teen years I was masturbating up to 30 times a day, YES 30! no lie.  when i reached my 20s it went down to about 10 times a day. I am now 27 and about 4 months ago I had a terrible panic attack and have been having anxiety and high levels of stress on  a daily basis since then. The symptoms have stopped me from maturbating so much, but I still do it maybe 2 times a day. I found something interesting though. 2 days ago I masturbated like 8 times in the span of 3-4 hours. Since then I have has ELEVATED anxiety/panic and stress symptoms.

I have a feeling that the chronic masturbation has caused an imbalance of some kind of chemical or hormone in my brain. I have had a simple testosterone level check and they found my T to be in normal range but DHEA to be very high.

Is the masturbation causing me the anxiety/panic episodes? if so, why  and what can i do (other than quitting sex/masturbation) to stop it?
It has no relation to masturbation. Masturbation actually releases endorphains, which calm the mind and body, and reduce stress. There is no way that masturbation can cause anxiety, unless you feel guilty or bad during or after you do it...which short circuits the endorphains. Also, that sudden oncrease from 2-3 times daily to 8 times in 3-4 hours might have thrown your body for a loop, and screwed up your hormone balance.
Sir, i m a medical student 3rd year. Even i am having anxiety disorder. I am inable to have eye contact. I am having social phobia. I am now 23.  Since 2 years i having masturbating 2 times a day. Now i feel masturbation the cause for anxiety. After masturbation i m having more panic attaks. What is the reason
When you mastubate and have orgasm, it does release 2 things ENDORPHINS which makes you feel nice and good , but it also releases ADRENALINE, adrenaline is the thing that makes us have anxiety and panic attacks. it speeds up our hearts, breathing rates and nervous system.  

i heard eating CELERY helps bring down adrenaline. also, you need to cut masturbation from 2 times a day to once a week until you get better.

when you masturabate too much you flood your body with adrenaline and that causes all the anxiety and panic and breathing and heart problems and pain and stuff.
Thank goodness I found this post.I have the same problem too.Masturbation does cause a lot of problems.In  the past,I jog a lot.Now after masturbation,walking fast makes my heart beat very fast and I have to take a long time to slow my heart to the normal pace but warming down.Its crazy.I have joined an anxiety chatroom and was told"Its just exercise"I have no idea why masturbation causes this.I'm too ashamed to bring it up to my doctor anyway.After masturbation,any phsycial activity after that seems to bring up the heartrate much faster,makes the body 'overheats' faster.I believe one could die from heat exhaustion this way.I'm looking forward to your response.
you will not die from heat exhaustion, do not be afraid to talk to your doctor about this, i think all that is happeneing is that your body is very sensitive from anxiety and you feel things now because u are over sensitized.. talk to your doc u will be ok, i also left a response in the other thread,..
Yo.

I have read most of this discussion, and many contributors are very close to solving your problem, but none of them have quite got it. I have the answer, I am sure of it.

I have many of your symptoms. I have bad panic attacks, bad head rushes whenever I get up from low blood pressure, bad OCD, occasional anxiety depression and I even had a seizure when I was 17. I am now 20. One of my parents is a neurologist with similar symptoms (although mine are, in many areas, worse) and has worked out what is going on.

The answer is to do with dopamine (and serotonin etc) and adrenaline (inc.noradrenaline). Essentially, these chemicals are put out by your body. What people often neglect to realise is that they are a limited supply. You and I are bad at conserving our supplies, which flare up unlike other peoples.

The reason you masturbate/ drink alcohol/ smoke weed/ smoke cigs/ maybe even exercise more than other people is because these things temporarily give you a high by making your brain release adrenaline and other endorphins. they make you feel better temporarily, but a while later you will have a come down, and have used up more of your brain's supply of adrenaline and other chemicals. This is what ***** you up, give you OCD symptoms, facial tics, panic attacks (I am treating us as equivalent), even blood pressure changes. Some of these things can therefore SEEM good, but they can do you harm.

The trick is balance, which is SO SO hard to learn.

You need to make sure that you eat well and regularly. Protein is important for synthesising these chemicals in particular (I take l-tyrosine supplements occasionally, btu they make me quite aggro sometimes). I get VERY ******* HUNGRY very suddenly when i get hungry, and it's because my chemicals are less regulated. On an empty stomahc your adrenaline levels spike. I go nuts.

You need to sleep well and regularly. This is important for two reasons. 1st, replenishing energy levels, inc. supplies of chemicals. 2, controlling your circadian rhythms. These need to be encouragedf to be as regular as clockwork. When you wake up, adrenaline, serotonin etc rise and melatonin gets suppressed. when you sleep, vice versa. Ensure this happens properly, if it doesnt, and you dont wake up properly, it can f up your day. I recommend regular bedtimes, sleep until you naturally wake up (no alarm) and a daylight lamp in the morning. Feel more awake and happy when youre in a sunny place? Look up sunlight affective disorder. It is connected and you probably have it. Dont have bright lights/ computer screens late at night. Unlike me now haha.

do not over do it. too much exercsie/ mental activity= too much chemcial output and will be followed by a drop. you need to take care of yourself MUCH MROE THAN NORMAL PEOPLE. I need 10 hours sleep a night. It is hard to know when you have overdone it. Often I want to go out at night ESPECIALLY when my levels are low to get that temporary boost that makes me feel good. I have to stop myself, go to bed, and feel better the next day. It is hard.

On the flipside exercise in moderation can get your circadian rhythms flowing properly. Just not too much. I said it was a balance.

by far the most useful supplements i have taken are GABA and St Johns wort. The first has already been suggested by the wacko christian waso on this thread. It reduces my anxiety; it is what the brain uses to make a chemcial that mops up stress. St Johns wort is a really natural antidepressant. i take two tablets SJW and one GABA before bed every night.

Thank you for drawing my attention to masturbation as a user-upper of adrenaline, I had thought about it before but will now put it into practice and not do it when im tired. take note.

that advice could change your life, it has taken me years to learn. One aspect of it is called dopamine supersensitivity, but doctors dont know much about this in its complexity. it is related on the one hand to mood disorders, on the other to chronic fatigue, in terms of the neurological features. GOOD LUCK.

Oh, and stop smoking weed and cigarettes (ive kicked both), cut down on your masturbation, and do things that are productive and make you feel good. This condition also means that you are literally 'superseisitive' to many inputs, and can make you more interesting and attentive to the world. Forget about benzos and most other medication and whenever you feel yourself panicking just try and relax, and think of nice things as hard as that sounds.
At the end of sexual activity, cGMP is disabled by the enzyme PDE5, and nitric oxide production decreases, causing the sex organs to return to normal. The anti-inflammatory hormone prostaglandin E-1 is released to relax tissue and muscle fiber and calm the body after sex. The pituitary gland releases the hormone and neurotransmitter oxytocin to induce a sense of sexual satisfaction after sex or orgasm. The pituitary gland also releases the hormone prolactin to repress the effect of dopamine, thus reducing sexual arousal by decreasing the levels of estrogen in women and testosterone in men. The brain also releases the neurotransmitter serotonin to modulate sexual desire.

All of these processes, however, break down when you engage in too much sex, masturbation, pornography viewing, sexual fantasy, and orgasm. Excessive sexual activity leads to overproduction of androgen hormones, causing adrenal and sex organ fatigue, and excess release of dopamine to maintain prolonged sexual arousal. Since dopamine is the precursor to the stress hormone epinephrine (adrenaline), excess dopamine results in the adrenal glands overproducing epinephrine and putting the body in a prolonged state of fight-or-flight stress. At the same time, norepinephrine is synthesized from dopamine and released from the adrenal medulla into the blood as a hormone, along with the stress hormone cortisol. Epinephrine, norepinephrine and cortisol fuel the fight-or-flight response, directly increasing heart rate, triggering the release of glucose from energy stores, and increasing blood flow to skeletal muscle. All of this has a severely taxing effect on the body.

The hormone prostaglandin E-2, which serves an important function in sexual arousal, is also overproduced and has an inflammatory effect on the body, damaging tissues, nerves and joints, weakening immunity, causing muscular and nervous pain, and promoting infection, inflammation, and even cancer. Chronic elevation of epinephrine and prostaglandin E2 results in severe damage to brain cells and parasympathetic nerves in the liver, lungs, adrenal glands, heart, blood vessels, digestive system, pancreas, gallbladder, ovaries, uterus, cervix, testicles and prostate. As a result, you can experience a variety of symptoms, including depression, anxiety, bodily pains, persistent sexual arousal and sexual dysfunction such as a lack of sexual stimulation in women.
i have read it a few times that anxiety and masturbation are very related . When i masturbate, after a few days, i have extreme anxieties as well as depression.... my ocd symptoms are very strong and i feel very hhorible. that is ture. do not believe in people who tell that masturbation is okay and normal and s even helthy. hell, these people are not frequent masturbators theirselves and are less prone to anxiety since they do not have that "anxiety", "ocd", pannic attack" and "depression" gene. It also depends on genes.
I posted in one of these forums some time ago about this issue. I dealt with masturbation for 43 years now. It took a long time to realize what was going on here. I have anxiety and depression only after masturbating not after sex. Let me say that again I HAVE ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION ONLY AFTER MASTURBATION! The reason i stress this is because it is psychological. The stress and anxiety are obviously physical manifestations but it is brought about by your beliefs and feelings about masturbation. My mood disorders are so bad that I have learned to not masturbate two to three days before I have anything important going on such as a meeting, exam, anything that requires focus and clear thinking. Why because masturbation puts my mind in a BUZZ! state, I get moody, depressed, very short with people, almost angry. This simply does not happen if I am in a relationship where I am having NORMAL sex.  Brain chemistry causes moods and moods can cause brain chemistry. You can feel anxiety and depression or you can feel anxiety and happiness. It is not all chemistry. You can feel depressed and anxiouse because you are masturbating to much. That does not mean that exessive release of chemicals that are created when you have sex is making you feel the way you do. For example If you had sex with a woman that your madly in love with and she is the woman of your dreams you would feel quite differently than if you were in your closet looking at raunchy porn 10 times a day and have not had a girlfriend for 10 years. Why because you feel ashamed when masturbating. This shame in conjunction with the adrenealine and other chemicals create a very different mood. You may have a natural sensitivity to anxiety as others have mentioned. In short you need to learn how to:

cut down on masturbation
learn self talk to help you with shame
work on establishing a "real " relationship (this alone will cure about 90% of this problem)
take some of these aids to enhance mood such as GABA, L-Tyrosine
Talk to a counselor to help with guilt and shame
learn the reason you need to masturbate so often, get to the core of the problem.

There is no magic bullet here. you need to balance your life, get a girfriend and see how things change over time. I still struggle but I know what is going on now.

Nobody is wrong in this forum because it is a combination of all of the above. And you will not fix it with one pill, or one great word of advice. You will make it better slowly and with much effort.
It is quite true. As i have been masturbating from age 13 and now 38. I am feeling the worst side effect of masturbation. I am having panic attacks and having anxiety. Don't believe masturbation is healthy blah...blah..It has its impact. ...I am suffering..
any 1 facing low volume seman problem from ANXIETY
Yes it is true that masturbation is bad.  From what I have read by different authors including John Gray from Men are from Mars ...  is that masturbation changes the psychology of the brain as you are living in a fantasy world when doing.

Even serious personal trainers such as weights instructors advise against it, as it is known to decrease testosterone and turns a man into a blubbering mess mentally and weak physically.

So, yes, keep your hands off it and save it for your wife.  Love not lust.
GOD BLESS YOU MAN, THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS INFORMATION . LIFE CHANGING ADVICE.....IF I EVER GET BIG IN MUSIC, I WOULD'NT BE THERE IF I DIDN'T READ YOUR COMMENT.
I completely agree with Masturbation affects health. I have been regular addict since 17. I t affected my career and my personal life. I can not speak properly after muasturbation. I learned not to masturbate before any meetings duscussions as it affect my memory. I forget the topics to be discussed. I had experimented many times..Initially Iwas attributing this anxiety to my childwood nutrionless food(I was very poor then by).

In one of my technical examnation, I had panic,, could not write what I know. Later I joined Engineering degree but failed in couple of subjects due to inability to write ..my hands were shaking. too much anxiety..I used to get back ache hands stiffening etc.. which forced me to consult Psychatrist who had put me relaxation treatment and asked me not to masturbate and watch porn. But I could not completely stop masturbaing how I reduced it from daily once to once in a week. strictly adhere to if ..trust me I was a class topper within 6 months of time. I excelled in my academics. I'm 40, married.. have very good sexual life. I suggest you guys..dont trust anyone...masturbation is healthy..etc..only an act of counselling not to indulge in illegal sex activities...follow these strictly..

> Masturbate 1-2 time in a week.have proper food...go to sleep dont do physical work
> Better have relationships..trust me, any woman needs sex as much you need it. Dont shy..
> Practice meditation ..yoga physical exercise
> Practice reading books in free time.
> avoid porn

God luck
i think your right,i used to do it 4-5 times (max) per day since when im 13 yrs old and now im 22 but including that one day i had done it like 3 times for every 5min in the night and also didnt eat anything from afternoon,i went into panic attack i had vibrations all over my head continuing to my both hands,,i was hospitalised and got discharged after 3hours my BP was 170/80.Doctors said that everything was normal and it was due to stress(i taught i was about to die).Im a little overweight now(98 KGs)i used to smoke regularly and drink occasionally and also used to chew nicotine gums...i think i have nervous weakness and im working on that for now..do u think is this a serious problem?i cannot let go the fear of having high blood pressure everyday 24/7 and also scared that i might have a brain tumor because of my eye sight and also dizziness...
This discussion has been going on for some time and the original participants may not still be here, so we'll close it now.  If you have a question you'd like to ask or a discussion you'd like to start, please feel free to do so - just click the "Post a Question" button at the top of the forum.  Thanks!

Claire

________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE