what is a vaginal bacteria imbalance?
i've been trying to find out why my vaginal scent has changed since i started taking birth control. ive gone to the clinic and had a pap and they said nothing was wrong with me. i read somewhere on here that the smell could be caused by a vaginal bacteria imbalance. i dont have any clue what that means! all i wanna know is if this "imbalance" thing is what's causing the smell and what can i do to change it. im on loestrin 24 by the way!
An imbalance in the vaginal bacteria is called bacterial vaginosis (BV). Every women has both good and bad bacteria that normally lives in the vagina, but with BV the bad bacteria overtakes the good. There is several factors that can predispose a women to get BV such as douching, new sexual partner, etc... but they do not know exactly what causes the bacteria to shift. Usually women will experience a change their vaginal odor. Usually the odor is a fishy smell and strongest after sex. There are other symptoms that can be experienced such as burning with urination, but not all women will experence this. Usually a wet mount must be performed in order to see if you have BV and if so then an antibiotic vaginal cream or pill will be prescribed.