Sexual Health Community
what is causing my anxiety and bad mood after masturbation?

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

I started masturbating in first grade and have been hooked ever since. I think I have had guilt issues with masturbation because of using it as a substitute for sex. My issue is that when I masturbate I have anxiety afterword, like my brain is in a "buzz" sort of state, I get in a bad mood, can't focus or concentrate as well. I become more withdrawn don't want to talk to people like I normally would, because I know I am not my usuall self. It is a cycle I go through. If I don't masturbate I start to focus better, I'm happier until the urge comes and I can't help but do it again and starts the cycle over and over. I just dont want to have the anxiety and depression that I get after masturbating. anyone know what the cause is? I have read in other forums about it being a chemical reaction and I tend to agree. But it does not happen when I have sex, it is not just ejaculation, it is masturbation and only if I do it. I have to think it is guilt or shame that in turn has a physical manifestation by releasing adrenalin when masturbating instead of endorphins, not sure about the chemicals but the scenario makes sence to me. anyone out there know anything on this?
I think that a big part of it is caused by your inner attitude to masturbation, especially if guilt or shame is associated with it. When I was without a sexual partner, I used to have quite bad feelings after masturbation even though I did not feel any guilt or negative attitude to masturbation itself. In my case it was caused by some strange feelings of self-pity or something like "this is how I ended up, I am not able to find a real partner, I have to do it on my own because I am a complete loser etc...". I desperately wanted a sexual partner but couldn´t find her, so I had to masturbate and it just reminded me of the frustration of being without a partner. Or at least this was the conscious level of my mind. I learnt how to manage it gradually, especially when I started to watch some porn and learn to enjoy the watching experience without thinking of my own situation etc. All this changed when I found a girlfriend, of course.  
I have written only about my personal reflections as I do not have any exact information about the underlying brain processes or chemical reactions responsible for those feelings, but I would love to know more about it also from this perspective.
That is very interesting, It is really good to know of others situations. I am not sure what is going on but we both have had the same experience. I told people in fact that It might be because I just feel inside like a failure for having to masturbate because I can't find a girfriend. There has to be something to the psychological aspect of this simply because it is perfectly fine when I have sex with a woman even if its a one night stand. But masturbation puts me in this slump, and it just makes it that much harder to find a woman. You just lose all confidence, a big turn off. When I had a girlfriend life was great.
lol, I'm female and I have the same problem like right after masturbating I feel really bad, quility and shamed, and I won't talk to anyone the next day and i get really mad at my self for doing it and I don't know why ? Its good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.
Consider masturbation as a natural and healthy habit. It does not do any harm to the body. In some country teenagers are asked to masturbate so that they do not become victim to unwanted pregnancy or STDS.
Another way is to convert the sexual urge/energy to mental energy. Kundalini yoga, Taoist yoga, pranayam, can help us in this direction. Plenty of websites are available. Or one can learn from a professional teacher. It is a long term process but the results are manifested in total life.

Yes it does on top of getting weak eye sight and general weakness and impotance.
Take Care of yourself before its too late Pal !
Don't let any dumb answers think otherwise it can do all of the above
plus more. I am sure you wont like to find it out the hard way :-) !
Stop before you do serious damage to your health !
To get a girlfriend is considered an achievement: to have successful intercourse is another achievement, to experience orgasm is another achievement.when one does not get above successes or- even of them- and he has to do masturbation, he is obviously super frustrated and feels guilt and find himself as unsuccessful person. His curiosity-what type of orgasm one feels with a woman- is always demoralizing to him. people who are doing successful intercourse with the opposite sex will hardly do masturbation.
i have a brother with an issue of masterbation (masturbation) and he has come to accept his "urge" he's talked about the feelings he's had with a therapist and has been told thats its common but to help him he should socialize and find a mate. I am not sure how to explain your moods and your "buzz " state of mind. But i will say that mental depression may have a part in your anxiety and bad mood. What would help would to distract your self and stay active go to the gym, go to the mall, talk to guys or girls just get yor mind off fantasy sex.