Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Abstinance before implanon removal?

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

Abstinance before implanon removal?
I had the contraceptive implant Implanon removed a couple of days ago due to side effects that I could not tolerate. The clinic did not ask me to use protection or abstain from sex before the rod was removed, and, because of this, my boyfriend and I continued to have sex without condoms. However, my friend tells me that sperm can survive in a woman's body for 7 days, so there is a chance that, now that the rod has been removed, I could be pregnant. Am I at risk of pregnancy? The last time I had sex without a condom was 5 days before the rod was removed. Please help, I am so worried!
I agree with you- if there was any chance for impregnation from previous intercourse, your health care provider should have mentioned abstinence for a week previous to removal. I don't believe, however, that you have much exposure- while some sperm has been known to live for a week-it is quite rare- so while it is theoretically possible- it is not likely. There are also residual hormonal changes from your implant that don't imediately receed- which may also make pregnancy unlikely. Still, why worry? Why not go to a clinic, get a quick blood test and find out for sure. It's not worth worrying when you can find out for sure.

unfortunatly they told you and you didnt listen. its a chance but not a guarentee. the only thing you can do now is wait. sorry. next time though, do as they say .
Thanks for the reply, I am going to go and get a test to find out for sure. But what do you mean I didnt listen, sailors wife? They didnt tell me! Maybe you should read the post carefully before replying.
you are correct i read wrong and im sorry.
I completely agree with the forum doctor.  It would take a little while for the implant hormones to leave your system after the implant was removed, thus you'd still be protected by birth control in the days following the removal.  

Also, sperm can live for 7 days but only in absolutely ideal conditions (such as laboratory).  Normally they live for around 3-4 days in our bodies.

I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the advice I went to the docs for a blood test and am now just waiting for the results, but, like you say, hopefully I have nothing to worry about! If the doc is reading this, I wonder if he can answer this question... I want to use the contraceptive pill for contraception now that I have come off Implanon, but I don't know when to start taking it or when I will be protected from pregnancy (obviously I will wait until the results of my blood test in a few days before taking any contraception). Will I have to wait for my first period since being on Implanon or can I take it straight away? Thanks!
Your doctor will know for sure (depending on your situation) but I highly suspect you'll need to wait until the first Sunday after you start your next period to begin the pill.
I didnt get told not to have sex before removal either...and i went straight on the pill started taking it the night the implant was removed