Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Bad smell

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

Bad smell

My question is, why does my boyfriends penis always smell so bad? Almost like a rotten fishy smell. Even before intercourse, when his underwear are removed before he touches me i smell it. He can take a shower before sex, and I can still smell it. After intercourse with him, my vagina smells so badly for 3 or 4 days I cant stand this. Its only when I have intercourse with him tht this odor is a problem for me. He does not ejaculate inside of me. I still have that terrible fishy smell for days. Its aweful. I also notice a few times I even made him use a condom, still i had his smell. The condom never broke or anything so i wonder how i would have the smell? I have to mention that he is a drinker. He on alot of occasions drinks perhaps every other night or every night. Mostly vodka and beer. This is such a turn off for me, I dont even desire being with him because of this. When i mention it to him that his semen smells or his penis smells really aweful he gets really mad and difensive. Also it probably would help to note that he masturbates atleast every day. This is killing me. I am a clean person this is embarassing is a turn off and im scared to why he smells so foul.
Tags: bad smell
Let's get one thing straight: diet and hygiene can affect the smell of semen; self-pleasuring doesn't. Your boyfriend's self-pleasuring frequency has no affect on his smell--unless he's not cleaning his penis effectively.

Semen can be affected by intensely spicy foods--especially garlic and onions.

The fact that you boyfriend is unwilling to investigate this further is not a good sign. Neither is the fact that you're continuing to have sex with him even though you're not enjoying it. This is a recipe for disaster. Where do you see this relationship going? How will you feel in several years if you're with an uncooperative partner and avoiding sex? These are important questions to ask yourself. Good luck. Dr. J
i had a boyfriend like this once... uggg it was GROSS!!!.... he showered like 5 times a day but his penis STUNK!!.... i finally realized that i think it was either that he was not circumsized  or that his semen just smelled... some men have smelly semen. it could be something that he eats, or maybe an infection ya never know.... i could TOTALLY understand how you would be turned off.... i used to gag when i got near his penis and now when i think about it i dont even know how i slept with him.....either got to find a fix for it, deal with it or move on!.. it would bother me if i had to smell like that after!....ugggggggg!...good luck.... let me know what happens!
Well im glad  Im not the only female that has experienced this. Your correct find a fix or move on! Im ready to move on its so sick. He denies this problem  always and gets so angry when i speak about this. Says its just me, his other girlfriends never said anything~ He actually is cirsumsized as well hes 38 so he knows hygiene pretty well by now. He is a black man so maybe that matters.  Its totally sick and i know this isnt my problem or something i just can smell. It smells like a rotten fish! And i only smell this way after having intercourse with him. I can go 2 weeks no sex with him im perfect. the day i have sex with him i smell!
Maybe if you went to your doctor after you have the smell, the doctor can test you for any illness or STD.  Either way, if he drinks, smells and does not accept your opinion about this smell during sex, I think that you know the answer regarding this relationship.  It is probably time to move on because this is not a long term acceptable relationship.  Maybe you can suggest that you can go to the doctor with him to get evaluated. If he tells you "no", you know that he is not a teamplayer in the relationship and it is time to stop the relationship.  Good luck.
Well, I have been tested for everything including sexual diseases.  I go for normal exams and am up to check with all that good stuff. I guess i would ask anyone for advice how to take care of this problem. What do I say? " your penis smells i want to break up"?  Like I mentioned before he says that I am the only one who ever complained of this. I must be the only one with a nose! At this point I have been in a relationship with him since August and I have to admit I want to discontinue it at this very moment because this is something i cant deal with any longer. Am i being rude? Selfish?  I really do enjoy him. I feel however pressured to have sex with this man. Lord knows I cant enjoy it because I cant get the smell out of my head, bad thoughts  and want to throw up the whole time. Honestly its horrible. What do I say? how do I say it?  Please help!
If you enjoy him but do not like the sex due to the smell, tell him so.  Maybe you can just be platonic friends or buddies without the sex.  Why put up with something so intimate such as sex involving  your body when the smell of the person makes you "want to throw up the whole time".  Life is too short for this type of sacrifice and you need to be honest with him.  Maybe since you were already tested by doctors and they stated that you do not have any illness that he could have transmitted to you, this smell is derived from something that he eats such as ethinic food or food supplements.  Just be honest and polite with your partner.  If he is a good friend, he will understand.  Good luck.
I was in a relationship with a guy that had this problem too....he wasnt cirsumsized and we thought that the sweat and moisture that builds up though out the day got underneath the fold and created that nasty smell...so gross...so I made him shower really good before we had sex...i still smelled it on me afterwards, but it wasnt as bad as it was in the beginning...
yea ll my men are black but i think it happens it white males too.... i agree its totally disgusting and i dont know how your still doing it... i dont remember if it was SOOO bad that i even smelled after ward, that would have been the end right there..i couldnt be walking aorund smelling like that ..... maybe his other girlfriends just never said anything about his stench or he doesnt want to admit that he has heard it his whole life.....yuuulk giving me the willies just thinking about it!....

just remember not all black men are like that ! i ONLY date black man and he was the only one i had that problem with!...let me know what happens!
I had the same situation!  I thought it was him, but i think it might have been me sometimes:(  You sound like a city girl.  Guessing Los Angeles or Miami.  I broke up with him and i don't regret what I do but he was a good man to me and I had been with a lot of jerks.  are you guys still together?
I've been with both.  A smelly **** is a smelly ****.  The guy with the strongest was a white guy if it matters.  just sayin'.  
yea a smelly thing is a smelly thing.... she mention he was  black man and that , that might be the cause, and i told her it didnt matter white black purple yellow if they didnt clean or had an infection then it would have a problem....

so whats the im just saying comment about?????
I found this thread and wondered if anyone had anything to add. The guy I was with, not any longer, had an odor to his precum. We were together twice and the same week and it was onlly the first time. I wouldn't say fishy, but maybe along those lines. It was just the precum though, not the semen when he ejaculated. Could it be from medication, food, or beer. I was thinking maybe even vitamins. He does smoke, also.