Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Bladder pain during sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

Bladder pain during sex

Hi. I can only have sex with my legs flat on the bed or when I'm on top. When I try any other position, I feel like my boyfriend's hitting my bladder and it feels uncomfortable and painful.

I checked my urinary tract and the doctor said everything's normal, no infections or anything.

But I don't know why I feel the pain? Is he really hitting my bladder?

Nah. Probably not. Unless your bladder is full or severely enlarged, it’s doubtful that it would cause problems. However, he may be irritating the tissue on the top wall of your vagina or on your urethra, both of which can be painful—especially if you’re not sufficiently aroused and lubricated.

If you’re not wet enough, you’re getting rubbed raw. You should never have p-v sex without being sufficiently aroused. If your partner is thrusting too vigorously, this could cause irritation as well. If you ARE aroused but not producing enough lubrication, then try one of the lubes made for women. Be sure to use a lube that is nonperfumed and non-irritating. I recommend Replens, which is available at drugstores.

The other possibility is that your partner’s penis is hitting your cervix (the entrance to your uterus). When you’re sufficiently aroused, the cervix pulls up and out of the way so it doesn’t get bumped during deep penetration. When you’re unaroused, it can be quite uncomfortable and even painful to have your cervix bumped. So, again, the solution is don’t have p-v sex without being sufficiently turned on and wet. Dr. J