Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Can you get physically ill from lack of sexual activity?

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

I have been very concerned for years because it seems that I get very ill from lack of sexual activity. My life is severly affected. I weigh about 85 pounds, I've been experiencing sleep problems from waking up in the middle of the night with nausea and heart burn and I can't put on any weight from the stress of this insatiable libido I have.Everything I eat makes me sick, gives me a stomach ache, diarreah (diarrhea), and I lose more and more pounds, and I get this horrbile cramp feeling in what seems to be my pelvic area.  Is there any treatment I can undergo to get this fixed; I feel like it is an over stimulation of a hormone or something; without getting into too much explicit detail, I also have secretions which get worse and worse over time. This started happening ever since I had my first kiss and abruptly had to end the relationship. Almost like the sexual desire switched was turned on and has remained that way, but with more power with each new day. What can I do to treat this? Who can I talk to? Is this even possible or am I going insane?
Hello.

Your question is confusing. It sounds like you lack some basic information regarding sexual activity and desire, and I don't know if you're a man or a woman. I'll give you some general answers.

You write that you have 'secretions which get worse and worse." I'm assuming you're referring to the fact that when you become aroused, your penis produces fluid--or your vagina lubricates. Both of these are usual body responses to sexual arousal and cannot be reversed or changed.

I sense an underlying discomfort with sexuality, as though you feel it's not OK to feel desire or to act on it. You ended a relationship after a kiss because it caused you such discomfort. Fear of sex can create lots of anxiety and discomfort, and occasionally, this anxiety can cause physical symptoms. The fact that you're denying your body may be causing you to feel physically ill.

I'd suggest you see a counselor who is trained to help people with sexual concerns. The counselor can help you explore the origins of your negative feelings about sex and decide what, if anything, you want to change. Best of luck to you. Dr. J
I've heard having sex on a regular basis is great for the health in many ways. I'm a very sexual man. I'm perfectly happy with pleasing myself and indulging in fantasy if need too. I was listening too the radio earlier and some women were talking of how PMS is just a state of mind that be overcome cause they dont have PMS in some countries.