Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Douching for Anal Sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

Douching for Anal Sex

I have just entered into a relationship with a great guy and have begun having anal sex with him.  I'm fastidious about cleanliness and have been douching with lukewarm water before sex.  TO do this I use an enema bottle, empty out the contents and add the water.  Then I rinse out the rectum 3-4 times until the fluid coming out is clear. I usually do this about 3-4 times per week.  But it got me wondering if this is a safe practice.  I've found if I don't do this, it can be rather messy at times.

Unless he is wearing a lubricated condom, anal sex is not a safe practice. Period.  There are plenty of bacteria in that area and if he abraids the inside of the anal canal while he is thrusting, you will be vulnerable to blood born bacteria entering your body- and if he has any abrasions , he will be too.

By doing all that douching , you are probably making it more likely that such an abrasion will happen. You are drying out the walls of the anus and so whatever natural sweating reaction is going on will not occur early enough in the sexual encounter. Furthermore, plain water will not kill bacteria in the anus and certainly not HIV- I presume you have both been tested for that- but there is also herpes which not infrequently lies in the anal canal and a number of  other bacteria and viruses.

If you enjoy anal sex, go ahead-- but for safety use a well lubricated condom ALL the time. You can douche occasionally for cleanliness= but do not mistake that for protection from transmission of serious diseases. Your protection lies in the constant use of a well lubricated condom ( so it doesnt break)
Are you a guy or a girl?  I know that vaginal douching isn't good for you and can increase the risk of infection.  I'm not sure about anal douching, but the reasoning why people do it is the same; to feel "clean" and "fresh."  I just think it would push bacteria further up the anus, like it does the vagina.  So I imagine it can also increase the risk of infection.
this one is for you to answer oh wise obiwan. lol.
I have heard that it is  practiced in some gay relationships but I doubt it would be common.  A girl friend of mine who enjoys anal sex told me that as long as you are both washing before and after especially in between anal and vaginal sex you are quite safe.  In days of old douching the anus and vagina were common pratices both of which are now discouraged. Hope it helps, good luck!
An anal ******, which I higly suspect is the same, or closely resembles an enema, is very dangerous to do on a regular basis.  I think when you purchase an enema (a bottle filled with water) they say to never use more than 2 in a 24 hour period, and not to exceed that amount without a physicians' approval.  I think you're being incredibly risky.

But hey, I don't recall you saying anything about condom use, and I'm assuming you are male...so, unprotected, anal, homosexual sex...what possible difference could a ****** make?
don't have any experience with this sort of thing. i'm
too straight i guess !!!               l.e.
ha haaha hah ha!!! i was JUST thinking of our little skid mark boy. actually, it was when i was wiping and wiping when i thought of him. LOL! i wondered how he was doing in boot camp and if his BVD's were remaining white!
oh god i am lmao! yes poor little skid mark boy is getting harassed in boot camp right now. maybe he should douch before exercising.
I remember that guy!!! Hahahaha. I wonder how he is doing in boot camp. I wonder if he was able to sneak any wet wipes into the bunk house.
I remember him, and I remember the suggestion of wipes...but did anyone suggest just wetting the toilet paper?  Poor guy.
yes, i actually THINK i was one to suggest wetting the TP but he poo poo'd that idea because it fell apart and stuck to his...well..you know. so we "moved on"
whatever he decided to do muct be working because he hasnt been back to whine about it all.
OK, lets let a gay guy answer this....

What youre doing is pretty common, and I am not a physician or anything, but my guess is that its not the best to do it A LOT.  You are forcing water into your rectum and that can cause small tears in this sensitive tissue leaving it open for you to get an STD.  To get HIV.

Sometimes you just have to say, today is not the day, or now is not the time.  If you and your partner really want to have anal sex at that time, then ask him to be the bottom that day...

Of course.  you should ALWAYS ALWAYS use protection.
more tha a coment i have a question hope any one can help.... i started having anal sex with my partner of 12 years about a year ago, and every time we do i always bleed it doesnt matter how lubricated i or he is and after is rather uncomfortable , but during is great dont get me wrong i like it. i dont bleed during the intercourse but after, it starts as very little blood and after about an hour it starts bleeding more and more, it doesnt get to the point for it to be exesive, but i am concerned.

Hope some one can help me on this, Thanks.