SEXUALITY & RELATIONSHIPS
FORUM
Douching for Anal Sex
by ricky69wvill, Nov 07, 2006
I have just entered into a relationship with a great guy and have begun having anal sex with him.  I'm fastidious about cleanliness and have been douching with lukewarm water before sex.  TO do this I use an enema bottle, empty out the contents and add the water.  Then I rinse out the rectum 3-4 times until the fluid coming out is clear. I usually do this about 3-4 times per week.  But it got me wondering if this is a safe practice.  I've found if I don't do this, it can be rather messy at times.
Answer:
by Pepper Schwartz, Ph.D.Blank, Nov 26, 2006

Unless he is wearing a lubricated condom, anal sex is not a safe practice. Period.  There are plenty of bacteria in that area and if he abraids the inside of the anal canal while he is thrusting, you will be vulnerable to blood born bacteria entering your body- and if he has any abrasions , he will be too.

By doing all that douching , you are probably making it more likely that such an abrasion will happen. You are drying out the walls of the anus and so whatever natural sweating reaction is going on will not occur early enough in the sexual encounter. Furthermore, plain water will not kill bacteria in the anus and certainly not HIV- I presume you have both been tested for that- but there is also herpes which not infrequently lies in the anal canal and a number of  other bacteria and viruses.

If you enjoy anal sex, go ahead-- but for safety use a well lubricated condom ALL the time. You can douche occasionally for cleanliness= but do not mistake that for protection from transmission of serious diseases. Your protection lies in the constant use of a well lubricated condom ( so it doesnt break)
Member Comments (13)
by sparkeler, Nov 07, 2006
Are you a guy or a girl?  I know that vaginal douching isn't good for you and can increase the risk of infection.  I'm not sure about anal douching, but the reasoning why people do it is the same; to feel "clean" and "fresh."  I just think it would push bacteria further up the anus, like it does the vagina.  So I imagine it can also increase the risk of infection.
by siren of the sea, Nov 07, 2006
this one is for you to answer oh wise obiwan. lol.
by momAU82207, Nov 07, 2006
I have heard that it is  practiced in some gay relationships but I doubt it would be common.  A girl friend of mine who enjoys anal sex told me that as long as you are both washing before and after especially in between anal and vaginal sex you are quite safe.  In days of old douching the anus and vagina were common pratices both of which are now discouraged. Hope it helps, good luck!
by glad2bamom, Nov 07, 2006
An anal ******, which I higly suspect is the same, or closely resembles an enema, is very dangerous to do on a regular basis.  I think when you purchase an enema (a bottle filled with water) they say to never use more than 2 in a 24 hour period, and not to exceed that amount without a physicians' approval.  I think you're being incredibly risky.

But hey, I don't recall you saying anything about condom use, and I'm assuming you are male...so, unprotected, anal, homosexual sex...what possible difference could a ****** make?
by leif ericson, Nov 08, 2006
don't have any experience with this sort of thing. i'm
too straight i guess !!!               l.e.
by oceans3, Nov 08, 2006
ha haaha hah ha!!! i was JUST thinking of our little skid mark boy. actually, it was when i was wiping and wiping when i thought of him. LOL! i wondered how he was doing in boot camp and if his BVD's were remaining white!
by siren of the sea, Nov 08, 2006
oh god i am lmao! yes poor little skid mark boy is getting harassed in boot camp right now. maybe he should douch before exercising.
by Mertek, Nov 09, 2006
I remember that guy!!! Hahahaha. I wonder how he is doing in boot camp. I wonder if he was able to sneak any wet wipes into the bunk house.