Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
How long before sex after termination?

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

How long before sex after termination?

I just wanted to know how long before it was safe to have sex again after a termination?

It depend on your body and the method of termination. I am asuming you are talking about a D and C, correct? If that is the case, you want to make sure that all bleeding has stopped.
Medical doctors differ on what they think is safe- I am not a medical doctor so let me just handle the basics that I know about - If you have sex with a condom- you should be free from transmitting any bacteria etc. I would suggest to give yourself the psychological test as well- are you ready to have sex emotionally?  If you are with a partner whose sexual history you are postive about ( your husband, your monogamous long term partner) then you might be able to have sex as soon as the tissues seemed healed enough not to feel any discomfort. If you are not with a partner who you are one hundred percent positive is disease free, I would double check with your physician or clinic to see what their reccommendation is-- and of course, when you do have sex again, definitely use a good quality, relatively newly packaged condom.

Thank you for your reply.
It was a D and C yes , I was on the pill when i fell pregnant so it was more than a shock , although we have been together for a year we are bothyoung so having a child wasn't an option.

I'm now using the Implant as my main source of contraception as we were both virgins and have never had any other partners we know each others sexual history.
I guess i just want us to go back to the way we were before all this happened.
I felt sad when I read your response.  I had an abortion when I was 16, and I'm not trying to upset you, but I'm not sure things actually go back "the same" as they were before.  I know the circumstances may have been different, but there is not a day that goes by for me that I don't think about the abortion.  (It took me a long time to be able to use that word.  For the longest, I used other words for it).  I highly suggest that if you seem to be struggling, or if life doesn't feel like it's "normal", you can get counseling.  Don't feel like just because it was a choice you made, that you don't deserve counseling.  There are people who can help you come to terms with things.  It is a difficult choice, and one that you won't forget.  You don't have to live defeated, however.  Get some help.  By the way, I am now 34 years old, married and have 2 great kids.
Well, the last time I got fired(terminated), I waited 6 months before I had sex on the job again.  Is that what you mean?
A related discussion, abortion was started.