Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Masturbation addict for 13 years. How to stop it.?

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

Hi doctor,

I have been a masturbation addict for 14 years. I need to stop it as it has ruin my life eversince I used a penis pump and damaged my penis.

Is there any natural supplements or drugs which can curb my masturbation. I have been addicted to it for 14 years. everytime I want to break it off, its very hard. Can doctor tell me how to stop my masturbation? Please give me the details.

Regards
Alfred
Dear Alfred:

Oh dear. I could have saved you lots of time and grief if you’d written to me sooner. Let’s clear up the misinformation you’ve received. No sexuality expert recognizes the term “masturbation addiction” because there is no scientific evidence that there is any such thing, just as there’s no such thing as "pizza addication" or "exercise addiction."

Let’s note the difference between a “belief” and a demonstrable fact. There are people who believe that the earth is flat, in spite of all evidence to the contrary. Similarly, many cultures have myths that associate semen with strength. None of these myths is based on any scientific research.

Self-pleasuring doesn’t affect you in any negative way. What it CAN do, like any strenuous exercise, is either energize you or make you feel tired. Exercise affects everyone different, so it’s possible that after an orgasm, you feel tired, the same way as after a brisk work-out. And you know that later, you’ll regain your energy. One clue that self-pleasuring is part of who you are is the fact that you enjoy doing it; therefore, you continue to do it. The key here is to feel good about your choices. And, no, there’s no drug or supplement you can take that will stop you from wanting to self-pleasure—just as there’s nothing you can take that will stop you from wanting to do any of your body’s usual activities.

Let’s talk about what we DO know about self-pleasuring.

It’s the surest way to orgasm and the most effective way to learn about our sexual response cycle, as well as the surest way men to learn orgasmic control.  If you feel you come too quickly, the surest way to slow down is to teach yourself a new pattern via self-pleasuring.

Another advantage is self-knowledge: How can you show a partner what you like if you don’t know yourself?

And the #1 reason for self-pleasuring: it’s fun!

Self-pleasuring is a part of who you are sexually—for your whole life, not just when you don’t have a partner. People self-pleasure from birth to death, when they’re alone and when they’re partnered. It’s just one of many options we have as sexual beings. It’s not better or worse than partner sex, just different—like steak is different than chicken.

Remember that all our scientific data show that the people who take responsibility for their OWN pleasure have the best sex lives and rate themselves as happiest about their sexuality. So please stop torturing yourself, accept your sexuality as a gift and start enjoying life.

I wonder if you haven’t worried yourself into social isolation. Your body is working fine—it’s your heart/brain that’s getting in the way. For more information about self-pleasuring, erection issues, attitude, etc., I highly recommend the book “The New Male Sexuality” by Bernie Zilbergeld, Ph.D. It’s widely available online, both used and in paperback and is an invaluable resource. Best of luck to you. Dr. J