Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Sex after staph infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

Sex after staph infection

My boyfriend recently acquired a staph infection on the shaft of his penis.  He started taking his medicine for the infection four days ago and they have already cut most of it out and told him he doesn't need to return unless he believes it to be getting worse.  So my question is this, when will we be able to engage in any sexual activities, obviously when it no longer hurts but is there a certain time period to wait after he gets done with his medication?
Your boyfriend should ask this question of his doctor, who can tell him when it's safe for him to resume any kind of contact with his penis.

In the meantime, here's some basic information about staph infections. Note that there are some very important precautions you should take in order to avoid exposure to staph.

"People can get staph infections from contaminated objects, but staph bacteria often spread through skin-to-skin contact — the bacteria can be spread from one area of the body to another if someone touches the infected area.

Staph infections can spread from person to person among those who live close together in group situations (such as in college dorms). Usually this happens when people with skin infections share things like bed linens, towels, or clothing. Warm, humid environments can contribute to staph infections, so excessive sweating can increase someone's chances of developing an infection."

But don't take my word for it. Do some online research about staph and become fully informed. And by the way: You've no doubt heard that absence makes the heart grow fonder? Well once you two resume sexual activities, it'll be that much hotter because of the wait. Dr. J