Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
is there a consequence for too much masterbating(masturbating)?

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

IS there any heath risk for too much masterbation (masturbation)?I engage in plesuring myself at least eight times a week. I would like to stop, but it's been a on going thing since I was about eleven or twelve. Help.
Relax. You're fine.

Almost everyone feels insecure about masturbation—or self-pleasuring. We all want to know that what WE do is OK. From your note, it looks like you're worried that it’s somehow harmful or wrong. There are no data to indicate that self-pleasuring is in any way harmful, or that there's "too much" or "too little."

In fact, whatever works for you is what works for you, so please stop worrying and enjoy your life. The fact that you’re trying to stop self-pleasuring and are finding it difficult should tell you that it’s an integral part of who you are as a human. Accept it as a wonderful gift that keeps on giving.

Here are some facts about self-pleasuring:

It’s the surest way to orgasm and the most effective way to learn about our sexual response cycle, as well as the surest way men to learn orgasmic control.  If you feel you come too quickly, the surest way to slow down is to teach yourself a new pattern via self-pleasuring.

Another advantage is self-knowledge: How can you show a partner what you like if you don’t know yourself?

And the #1 reason for self-pleasuring: it’s fun!

Self-pleasuring is a part of who you are sexually—for your whole life, not just when you don’t have a partner. People self-pleasure from birth to death, when they’re alone and when they’re partnered. It’s just one of many options we have as sexual beings. It’s not better or worse than partner sex, just different—like steak is different than chicken.

Remember that all our scientific data show that the people who take responsibility for their OWN pleasure have the best sex lives and rate themselves as happiest about their sexuality.

So be happy, and value your sexuality for the wonderful gift that it is. Good luck! Dr. J