Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
side effects of masturbation

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

side effects of masturbation

dear doctor,
I'm 22 year old Male,170cm tall and my weight is 120 Lbs. As you can see im underweight. my family memebers are fat than me. I masturbate alot and i think i'm so thin because i masturbate.. i masturbate everyday some times twice a day and at times once a day... Is this bad..? I do weight training twice a week. but I'm so skinny... does masturbation cause you to loose weight?  what r the physical side effects of masturbation.. please help me... thank you...
Hello.

Almost everyone feels insecure about masturbation—or self-pleasuring. We all want to know that what WE do is OK. From your note, it looks like you feel that it’s somehow harmful or wrong, or that there's such as thing as "too much." You asked about “side effects.” Sounds like you’re worried that self-pleasuring is some kind of “condition” or illness. Not true.

There are no data to indicate that self-pleasuring is in any way harmful or that there's a maximum or minimum amount of time you should spend on it. As for causing you to be slender: self-pleasuring is like any other activity in that you burn up some calories doing it, but not nearly as many as, for example, running or swimming.

Please stop worrying and enjoy your life. Accept self-pleasuring as a wonderful gift that keeps on giving.

Here are some facts about self-pleasuring:

It’s the surest way to orgasm and the most effective way to learn about our sexual response cycle, as well as the surest way men to learn orgasmic control.  If you feel you come too quickly, the surest way to slow down is to teach yourself a new pattern via self-pleasuring.

Another advantage is self-knowledge: How can you show a partner what you like if you don’t know yourself?

And the #1 reason for self-pleasuring: it’s fun!

Self-pleasuring is a part of who you are sexually—for your whole life, not just when you don’t have a partner. People self-pleasure from birth to death, when they’re alone and when they’re partnered. It’s just one of many options we have as sexual beings. It’s not better or worse than partner sex, just different—like steak is different than chicken.

Remember that all our scientific data show that the people who take responsibility for their OWN pleasure have the best sex lives and rate themselves as happiest about their sexuality. Dr. J
1 Comment
A related discussion, Masturbation Side-effects! was started.