Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
virginal hymen

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

virginal hymen
Tell me if in your opinion a femal is a virgin if record of an examination records the following:  "Gentle labial traction revealed a crescent shaped hymen which expanded to rectangular shape.   Hymenal edges appear as thick rolls from 1 to 6 o'clock.  Hymen notched or missing from 6 to 9 o'clock position."
What have you to say about this?
Hello.

Whenever I see a question like this, it makes me sigh, because it implies that controlling female sexuality is still very important to many folks.

The concept of "virginity" dates back to a period of time in which women were considered property--and damaged property if they had experienced penis-vagina (p-v) sex. I don't know why you're asking this question, but let me give you some general information.

Most modern women don't have hymens, regardless of whether they've actually experienced p-v sex--and some have partial hymens. This is because women are much more active now, and hymens are frequently torn during bicycle riding, skiing, and other kinds of physical activities. Thus, a hymen that is notched or missing a section, such as you report, is not the result of p-v sex, but rather of some sort of physical activity or non-p-v sexual activity. Penis-vagina sex would most probably result in no hymen at all.
Thank you for intelligently addressing my question.  Do you have knowledge of any scientific studies to support your response.  If you do I would appreciate your sharing them with me.  If not, again, I thank you for your response.
Hello.

The information I gave you is common knowledge among medical professionals. If you do a search for "hymen," you'll find many reputable medical sites with this information. Here's an example:

http://health.discovery.com/centers/sex/sexpedia/hymen.html